Skjernoy - Things to Know Before Visiting
Skjernoy, Lindesnes Municipality, Norway
Contents in This Page
Skjernøy is Norway's most possessed island. It is arranged in Mandal district and is related to the region by a thin framework, Skjernøysundbrua, which was worked in 1964. The island has around 390 occupants and is the greatest in the district 5.65 square kilometers. The masses are isolated into a couple of edges: Dyrstad, Skjernøysund, Valvik, Farestad, and Rossnes.
Attractions Near Skjernoy
Ryvingen lighthouse is located on an island 7 km southeast of Mandal. In addition to being the visible landmark for ship traffic that passes the southern tip of Norway, Ryvingen lighthouse together with Hatholmen lighthouse and lantern "Bestemor" on Sjøsanden, is the entry lighthouse to the ports of Mandal.
Sjøsanden is located in the Furulunden nature park, which includes several great beaches and rocky outcrops. It has an extensive network of walking paths, and there are public toilets near the beaches. At Store Banken, there is also a wheelchair ramp. It is one of the great place to spend some leisure time.
This is Norway's largest wooden church, consecrated in 1821. The church, built in the Neoclassical Empire style, can seat up to 1300 people. It was designed by the architect Jørgen G. Løser. The painting "Resurrection", by the famous local artist Adolph Tidemand, hangs just inside the entrance to the church.
The Spangereid Canal runs across the Lindesnes Peninsula in Lindesnes municipality through Spangereid from Store Båly to Lenesfjorden. The purpose of the canal is to give small boat traffic an opportunity to pass Lindesnes without going out to sea. With a sailing height of 4.5 m, however, most sailboats are barred from crossing the canal and must still round Lindesnes at sea. It was now one of the tourist attractions in this area.
Kristiansand Kanonmuseum Møvik Fortress outside Kristiansand was built by the Germans during World War II. The museum houses the only remaining 380mm Krupp gun in the world. You can also take a ride with the ammunition railway train. This is an 1800 meter long railway track that used to carry ammunition for the guns at Møvik Fortress.
The lighthouse has been designated a national lighthouse museum and hosts various exhibitions relating to the development and history of lighthouses, maritime culture, etc. The mountain hall below the lighthouse houses a cinema, exhibitions, and a café. The complex also comprises a museum shop, a restaurant, and a gallery. You can see the remains of a German WW2 fort, and there are marked paths in the area.