18 Attractions to Explore Near Green-Meldrim House
The Green–Meldrim House is a historic house in Savannah, Georgia. Built-in the 1850s, it was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1976 as one of the American South's finest and most lavish examples of Gothic Revival architecture
Congregation Mickve Israel is one of the oldest in the United States, as it was organized in 1735 by mostly Sephardic Jewish immigrants of Spanish-Portuguese extraction from London who arrived in the new colony in 1733. It is a rare example of a Gothic-style synagogue. The synagogue building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Forsyth Park is one of the largest parks in the Chatham county, Georgia. The Park covers 30 acres of land just south of Gaston Street and north of Park Avenue. The east border of Forsyth Park is Drayton Street and on the west is Whitaker. For locals and tourists, Forsyth Park is a hub of social interaction.
Telfair Museums, in the historic district of Savannah, Georgia, was the first public art museum in the Southern United States. Its extensive permanent collection of works dates from the eighteenth through the twenty-first century, and each year Telfair mounts temporary exhibitions showcasing a variety of artists, media, cultures, and periods. Telfair also offers educational programs.
The Colonial Park Cemetery, one of Savannah’s most beautiful restorations, is the final resting place for many of Savannah's earliest citizens. Established about 1750, it was the original burial ground for the Christ Church Parish.
The Owens–Thomas House & Slave Quarters is a historic home in Savannah, Georgia, that is operated as a historic house museum by Telfair Museums. An impressive two-story structure on a raised basement, it was completed in 1819 for Richard Richardson, an entrepreneur, shipping merchant, and domestic slave trader, and his wife, Frances Bolton Richardson. The Owens–Thomas House was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976, as one of the nation's finest examples of English Regency architecture
Located just off Franklin Square near City Market stands First African Baptist Church, the oldest black church in North America. Since it was organized in 1773 by Reverend George Leila, the church even predates the United States’ official formation in 1776.
Old Fort Jackson was constructed in 1808 as part of President Thomas Jefferson's Second System coastal defense initiative and named after Revolutionary War patriot James Jackson. This brick fort was constructed over an old earthen battery from the Revolutionary War which had been called "Mud Fort." Soldiers were stationed at Fort James Jackson to guard Savannah during the War of 1812.
Bonaventure Cemetery was developed on the historically significant site of Bonaventure Plantation. The cemetery became famous when it was featured in the 1994 novel Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt, and in the movie, directed by Clint Eastwood, based on the book. It is the largest of the city's municipal cemeteries, containing nearly 160 acres.
The Wormsloe Historic Site was once the colonial estate of carpenter Noble Jones, who came to Georgia with James Oglethorpe in 1733. This former plantation is the site of the oldest standing structure in Savannah. The ruins of Jones’ tabby house was built in 1745.
The National Museum of the Mighty Eighth Air Force is a non-profit organization with a museum facility in Georgia. It educates visitors through the use of exhibits, artifacts, archival materials, and stories, most of which are dedicated to the history of the Eighth Air Force of the United States Army Air Corps that served in the European Theatre during World War II.
The Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation was a plantation on the Altamaha River, in Glynn County, Georgia. It produced rice from 1800 until 1915, when growing rice became unprofitable. Then it was primarily a dairy farm until 1942. The plantation site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976 and is operated as a Georga State Historic Site. The Georgia Department of Natural Resources manages 1,268 acres of land and 696 acres of marsh.
Fort Frederica National Monument, on St. Simons Island, Georgia, preserves the archaeological remnants of a fort and town built by James Oglethorpe between 1736 and 1748 to protect the southern boundary of the British colony of Georgia from Spanish raids. About 630 British troops were stationed at the fort.