Großer Stern, 10557 Berlin, Germany
Designed after 1864 to commemorate the Prussian victory in the Danish-Prussian War. When it was inaugurated on 2 September 1873, Prussia had also defeated Austria and its German allies in the Austro-Prussian War (1866) and France in the Franco-Prussian War (1870–71), giving the statue a new purpose. These later victories inspired the addition of the bronze sculpture of Victoria, 8.3 metres (27 ft) high and weighing 35 tonnes.
Location of Victory Column