20 Attractions to Explore Near Dames Point Bridge
A cable-stayed bridge over the St. Johns River in Jacksonville, Florida. Construction began in 1985 and was completed in 1989. The main span is 1,300 feet (396.2 m), and is 175 feet (53.3 m) high.
An attempted French colonial settlement. It was established under the leadership of René Goulaine de Laudonnière on June 22, 1564, as a new territorial claim in French Florida and a safe haven for Huguenots. The French colony came into conflict with the Spanish, who established St. Augustine in September 1565, and Fort Caroline was sacked by Spanish troops under Pedro Menéndez de Avilés on September 20. The Spanish continued to occupy the site as San Mateo until 1569.
Site of a former estate that was named for an early owner, Zephaniah Kingsley, who spent 25 years there. The plantation was originally 1,000 acres (4.0 km2), most of which has been taken over by forest; the structures and grounds of the park now comprise approximately 60 acres (242,811.385 m2). The most prominent features of Kingsley Plantation are the owner's house—a structure of architectural significance built probably between 1797 and 1798 that is cited as being the oldest surviving plantati
It was founded in 1961 after the death of Ninah Cummer, who bequeathed her gardens and personal art collection to the new museum. The permanent collection of the museum currently includes over 5,000 works of art dating from 2100 BCE to the twenty-first century. The museum's collection is especially strong in European and American paintings and also includes substantial holdings of Meissen porcelain.
On the western bank of the St. Johns River lies Green Cove Springs Park. While the St. Johns River's cool breeze sweeps through the Park, Spanish moss draping the majestic oaks comes to life as the cool breeze of the river blows.
The Rockefeller Cottage, also known as Indian Mound Cottage, is a house on Jekyll Island, Georgia. It is next to the Jekyll Island Club. It stands three stories high, and has a total of 25 rooms. There are nine bedrooms, nine bathrooms, and seven servant rooms. The house has many distinguishing features such as an elevator, a cedar-lined walk-in safe, and taps for hot and cold salt water on the bathtub in the master bedroom bath. Tours of the mansion are provided by the Jekyll Island Museum.
The MOSAIC is a history museum in the historic district of Jekyll Island of Georgia, in the United States. The museum features more exhibit space, more artifacts, a new outdoor classroom, and a new multi-purpose room. Constructed completely within the current footprint of the historic stables building, the new design highlights the building’s construction with high, lofted ceilings and open space.
Georgia Sea Turtle Center is a nature center and rescue and rehabilitation facility for sea turtles on Jekyll Island, Georgia, United States. The Center features interactive exhibits and patient viewing areas. In addition to caring for sick and injured turtles, the Center has an educational mission and presents daily programs, field trips, guided tours and beach walks.
Faith Chapel is a historic chapel on Old Plantation Road in Jekyll Island, Georgia and was built in 1904. It was used as a non-denominational chapel until 1942. The interior and exterior walls are shingled, with gargoyles that are replicas of the ones at Notre Dame Cathedral. The chapel was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971 and it is open to the public.
Jekyll Island is located off the coast of the U.S. state of Georgia, in Glynn County. It is one of the Sea Islands and one of the Golden Isles of Georgia barrier islands. A popular tourist destination, the island has beaches frequented by vacationers. Guided tours of the Landmark Historic District are available. Bike trails walks along the beaches and sandbars, and Summer Waves, a water park, are among the active attractions.
Horton House is a historic site on Riverview Drive in Jekyll Island, Georgia which was originally constructed in 1743 by Major William Horton, a top military aide to General James Oglethorpe. This structure has been meticulously preserved over the past 100 years as an example of coastal Georgia building techniques and as one of the oldest surviving buildings in the state.
The Sidney Lanier Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge that spans the Brunswick River in Brunswick, Georgia, carrying four lanes of U.S. Route 17. The current bridge was built as a replacement to the original vertical-lift bridge, which was twice struck by ships. It is currently the longest-spanning bridge in Georgia and is 480 feet tall.