Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh 475330, India
About TIGHRA DAM
Tighra Dam was constructed in 1916 on the Sank River and is a major source of water for the city of Gwalior. This dam has been constructed in the vicinity of eleven villages. The villagers depend on this dam for their irrigation, drinking and domestic purpose. The dam is an engineering marvel that has a capacity of 4.8 million cubic meters.
Attractions near TIGHRA DAM
Sarod ghar is a museum of music and has been set up in the ancestral house of the legendary Ustad Hafiz Ali Khan. This museum houses ancient musical instruments which were used by legendary Indian musicians of the past. It also exhibits a great collection of documents and photographs and the aim of this museum is to promote Indian classical culture and music.
This is the western entrance of the Gwalior fort. The gate is also famous for leading the way to multiple massive rock-cut sculptures of the 24 Jain tirthankaras. This is truly an architectural wonder in gwalior.
Teli ka Mandir, also known as Telika Temple, is a Hindu temple located within the Gwalior Fort. Dedicated to Vishnu, Shiva and Matrikas, it has been variously dated between the early 8th and early 9th century CE. The temple is a classic example of a design based on "musical harmonics" in architecture,one that Hermann Goetz called as a masterpiece of late Gupta era Indian art.
Gurudwara Data Bandi Chhod is a memorial constructed in the memory of Guru Hargobind Sahib. Built inside the Gwalior Fort, the Gurudwara was constructed in 1970. Made up of marble and colourful stained glass exteriors, the Gurudwara is one of the significant Sikh pilgrimage sites and is visited by many tourists each year.
Gopachal Parvat is famous for the 7th and 15th century rock-cut Jain monuments. The monuments are dedicated to Jain Tirthankaras - Adinatha, Mahavir, Neminatha and Rishanabhanatha - whose idols can be seen in a meditative posture. They are a part of 100 monuments located in and around the city.
Jai Vilas Palace, is a nineteenth-century palace in Gwalior, India. It was established in 1874 by Maharajadhiraj Shrimant Jayajirao Scindia Alijah Bahadur, the Maharaja of Gwalior. While the major part of the palace is now the "Jiwajirao Scindia Museum" opened to the public in 1964, a part of it is still the residence of his descendants the former royal Maratha Scindia dynasty.
Where is TIGHRA DAM
Discover more attractions in Gwalior, where TIGHRA DAM is located