Attractions to explore nearby Dales Way
The Dales Way is an 84-mile Long-distance footpath in Northern England, from Ilkley, West Yorkshire to Bowness-on-Windermere, Cumbria. following mostly riverside paths and passing through the heart of the Yorkshire Dales National Park and the gentle foothills of southern Lakeland to the shore of England's grandest lake.
Ilkley Moor is the perfect place not only to appreciate the panoramic views, but to also sample one of Ilkley's greatest attractions. The moor, which rises to 402 m above sea level, is well known as the inspiration for the Yorkshire "county anthem" On Ilkla Moor Baht 'at.
This mid-17th-century gabled house with mullioned windows was built for the clothier James Murgatroyd, who first bought the estate in the 1630. The exterior is marked by a curious 2-story porch flanked by classical columns and a rose window beneath battlements and pinnacles. One of the good location which was located in a ca30 and quiet place.
Bolton Abbey lies in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales near Skipton. The land was gifted to the Augustinian canons by Alice de Rumilly in 1154. The canons lived and worshipped here until 1539 when the dissolution of the monasteries stripped the Priory of its assets. Despite the loss of most of the Priory buildings during the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the western half of the original nave was preserved so that the local parish could continue its worship there.
Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway runs 4 miles between the award winning station at Bolton Abbey and Embsay station built in 1888. Most trains are hauled by magnificently restored steam tank engines, the oldest one dating back to 1908. Steam trains run every Sunday throughout the year and up to 7 days a week in summer.
Hesketh Farm is still a working farm with over 1,000 livestock including cattle, sheep and pigs. It is an idyllic park, with around 10 acres of greenery overlooking the Yorkshire hills and the Embsay and Bolton Abbey Steam train whistling by in the valley below. The majority of the Farm Park is accessible for all, with wide, flat areas undercover in our two barns and many accessible areas outside.
Cliffe Castle was originally the home of Victorian millionaire and textile manufacturer, Henry Isaac Butterfield. Completed in the 1880s the building was funded by the Butterfield family’s industrial empire which included wool textile mills and a shipping business that took British goods to Europe, America and China. The completed house was a showpiece of international art and French decoration. It was the scene of many glittering social events.
Bingley Five-rise lock staircase is the most spectacular feature of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. It is situated about half a mile north of Bingley Station, about 17 miles north west of Leeds and about 12 miles south east of Skipton. They are the steepest staircase locks on the longest canal in the country! Probably why they are one of our Seven wonders of the waterways.
Bingley St.Ives is a country park that was located on the outskirt of Bingley. The Golf Club was formed in 1931 as a municipal club under the auspices of Bingley Urban District Council. Initially the course was of a 9-hole layout which was expanded to 18 holes in 1934. Over the more recent decades the course has been further developed with input from several leading players including Sir Nick Faldo, Seve Ballesteros and Jose Maria Canizares contributing to the improvement of various holes.
Fewston Reservoir is located in the Washburn valley north of Otley and west of Harrogate in Yorkshire, England. It was built in 1879. The capacity is about 3.5 million cubic meters. It was surrounded by mixed, mostly coniferous woodland, the paths are well maintained on the 3.7-mile walk, which is flat virtually all the way around. Cyclists and horse-riders can also make use of their own permitted tracks in the surrounding woodlands.
Shipley Glen Tramway is a majestic manmade monument that was opened in 1895, Britain’s oldest working funicular offers a steep ride up to the sprawling site of long gone fairgrounds. An Edwardian sweet shop at the top station serves as a nod to that era. You can have a scenic stroll across expansive moors to discover dozens of the carved rocks, largely found near Dobrudden Farm. Theories on how they were used by ancient inhabitants range from religious ceremonies to tools for shaping stone axes