20 Attractions to Explore Near Temple of Clitunno
Top Trips and Tours in Italy
Tours and activities in Italy that might be of interest to you
All attractions near Temple of Clitunno
1.51km from Temple of Clitunno
The Clitunno is a river that flows in Umbria, a tributary of the Topino. In 2011 UNESCO included the small temple that stands on its banks among the World Heritage Sites. It is born near the route of the Via Flaminia, in Campello sul Clitunno, between Spoleto and Foligno, and runs for 59.3 km passing through Pissignano, Cannaiola, Trevi, and Bevagna, to finally throw itself near Cannara in the Topino river, a tributary of the Chiascio. and therefore sub-tributary of the Tiber.
8.62km from Temple of Clitunno
The Umbra Valley, also called Valley Spoletan, is a wide and extensive flood plain, the second dell ' Umbria, formerly occupied by two lakes, the Lacus Clitorius and the Lacus Umber, previously merged into a single basin and drained today, whose the only remaining trace is the Fonti del Clitunno. Elongated in shape, bordered to the east by the Apennine chain and to the west by the chain of the Martani Mountains, it extends in the north-south direction.
Ferrovia Spoleto - Norcia
10.61km from Temple of Clitunno
The Spoleto-Norcia railway was a railway to narrow gauge to electric traction in the ' Umbrian Apennines, decommissioned in 1968. the Spoleto-Norcia railway can be defined as an Alpine railway and represents a small jewel of railway engineering: in fact, 19 tunnels were built along the relatively short route of 51 kilometers, with the pass near Caprareccia di almost 2 kilometers, and 24 futuristic engineering bridges and viaducts of great architectural value.
11.99km from Temple of Clitunno
The cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta is the main place of Catholic worship in the city of Spoleto, the mother church of the archdiocese of Spoleto-Norcia. The cathedral was built starting between 1151 and 1227 in place of a pre-existing building; inside, in the apse, there is the valuable cycle of frescoes by Filippo Lippi Stories of the Virgin, painted in the last years of the artist's life, between May 1467 and September 1469.
Association Rocca Albornoziana
12.18km from Temple of Clitunno
The Rocca Albornoziana is a fortress located on the top of the Sant'Elia hill overlooking the city of Spoleto . This is the main bulwark of the system of fortifications built by Pope Innocent VI , to militarily strengthen and make more evident the authority of the Church in the territories of central Italy , in view of the now imminent return of the papal see to Rome after the seventies. about years of stay in Avignon.
Ponte delle torri
12.21km from Temple of Clitunno
The Ponte delle Torri is an arch bridge derived from a Roman aqueduct located in Spoleto. The structure crosses the path of the Tessino stream and reconnects what tectonic activity and linear erosion of the stream have divided. At the two ends of the bridge, there are two fortresses, the Rocca Albornoziana and the Fortilizio dei Mulini, built to watch over the bridge and active as a mill until the 19th century. The name Ponte Delle Torri could allude to the towers of the two fortresses or to t
13.44km from Temple of Clitunno
The Trinci Palace is a patrician building which is located in the center of Foligno, in Piazza Della Repubblica and is one of the most interesting houses in Late Gothic central Italy. It contains a precious cycle of frescoes from the early fifteenth century, created by Gentile da Fabriano with the collaboration of other artists, and houses the Civic Art Gallery, the Archaeological Museum, and the Multimedia Museum of tournaments, jousting and games.
17.61km from Temple of Clitunno
Spello is an Italian town of 8 466 inhabitants in the province of Perugia in Umbria. It is part of the circuit of the most beautiful villages in Italy and boasts the Orange Flag tourist-environmental quality mark, awarded by the Italian Touring Club. The old walled town lies on a regularly NW-SE sloping ridge that eventually meets the plain. From the top of the ridge, Spello commands a good view of the Umbrian plain towards Perugia.
17.82km from Temple of Clitunno
The Church of Santa Maria Maggiore houses a chapel entirely frescoed by Pintoricchio, commissioned by Troilo Baglioni, between the end of the summer of 1500 and the spring of 1501. In the chapel is the self-portrait of the artist, a sort of provocative response to the self-portrait of another great artist of Perugian painting Pietro Vannucci known as Perugino: Bernardino figure with the face of three quarters, the features hollowed out and almost suffering but proud.
22.05km from Temple of Clitunno
Rita of Cascia, in the world Margherita Lotti, was a religious Italian monastery hermit of Santa Maria Maddalena. Beatified by Pope Urban VIII in 1628, she was proclaimed a saint by Pope Leo XIII in 1900. At the end of the nineteenth century, Roccaporena became for a decade a meeting and excursion place for numerous Italian intellectuals, gathered around Luigi Galassi, rector of the University of Rome "La Sapienza", whose family was originally from Roccaporena.
Colfiorito Regional Park
23.42km from Temple of Clitunno
Colfiorito is a mountain hamlet in the municipality of Foligno, belonging to the District n. 7 "Annifo - Colfiorito". Colfiorito rises 760 meters above sea level on a plateau of karst- marshy origin. Of the seven plateaus surrounding Colfiorito, which derive from the drying up of lakes, only one still hosts a swamp where rare species of animals can be encountered.
23.99km from Temple of Clitunno
San Damiano is a church with a monastery near Assisi, Italy. Built in the 12th century, it was the first monastery of the Order of Saint Clare, where Saint Clare built her community. The church has a hut-shaped façade; the entrance is preceded by a short portico with three round arcades supported by brickwork pillars. Above the central arch is a circular rose window. The interior has a single nave with ogival barrel vaults.
24.24km from Temple of Clitunno
The Subasio is a mountain dell ' Umbria-Marche Apennines, high 1,290 m above sea level, located in Umbria, in the province of Perugia. On its western slopes rise the cities of Assisi and Spello; to the south, one of its borders falls within the territory of Foligno; to the east it is included in the territories of Valtopina and Nocera Umbra; to the north, a system of short ridges dependent on it insists on the territories of Gualdo Tadino, Gubbio and Valfabbrica.
Basilica of Santa Rita da Cascia
24.98km from Temple of Clitunno
The basilica of Santa Rita da Cascia is a minor basilica of Cascia, belonging to the homonymous sanctuary: inside the mortal remains of Santa Rita are venerated. The church, located almost on the top of the Sant'Agostino hill and whose access to the churchyard is allowed by a short staircase, has a facade covered in white travertine from Tivoli set between two spiers , which end with two small bell cells, surmounted by crosses in iron.
Eremo delle Carceri
26km from Temple of Clitunno
The hermitage of the Carceri is the place where St. Francis of Assisi and his followers retired to pray and meditate. Located 4 kilometers from Assisi, at 791 meters above sea level on the slopes of Mount Subasio, the hermitage of the Carceri rises near some natural caves, frequented by hermits already in the early Christian age.
Basilica di Santa Chiara
27.65km from Temple of Clitunno
The basilica of Santa Chiara is an important place of worship in the historic center of Assisi. The architectural style is Gothic , and closely resembles the almost contemporary upper basilica of San Francesco d'Assisi. The exterior is characterized by three large polygonal buttresses in the shape of large flying buttresses that reinforce the left side of the building.
Parco Nazionale dei Monti Sibillini
27.75km from Temple of Clitunno
The Monti Sibillini National Park is a national park that protects the natural environment of the mountain massif of the same name, extending between the regions of Marche and Umbria, divided into four provinces and managed by the relevant body based in Visso. It covers an area of approximately 71,437 hectares, on mainly mountainous terrain.
Cathedral of San Rufino
27.78km from Temple of Clitunno
The Cathedral of San Rufino is the main place of worship Catholic city of Assisi, the mother church cathedral of the Diocese of Assisi-Nocera Umbra-Gualdo Tadino. The church stands in the homonymous square, originally a terrace created in Roman times, perhaps (but there is no documented evidence) the forum of the Roman city of Asisium. The facade is one of the most significant works of the "Umbrian" Romanesque and is comparable with contemporary examples in Spoleto, such as the Duomo and San Pi
Sanctuary Chiesa Nuova
27.87km from Temple of Clitunno
The Chiesa Nuova is a church in Assisi, Italy, built-in 1615 on the site of the presumed birthplace of St. Francis, the house of Pietro di Bernardone. It was then called Chiesa Nuova because it was the last church to be built in Assisi at that time. It was erected because, during a visit to Assisi in 1613, Antonio de Trejo, the Spanish Vicar General of the Franciscans, was saddened when he saw the original home of St. Francis becoming dilapidated.
Basilica di Santa Maria degli Angeli
27.88km from Temple of Clitunno
The Basilica of Santa Maria Degli Angeli is a church, the Roman Catholic rite, located in Assisi, in the hamlet of the same name, built on project Galeazzo Alessi with speeches by Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola in the second half of the sixteenth century. It has the dignity of a papal basilica and inside there is the Porziuncola, the chapel where Francis of Assisi gathered in prayer, and for this reason the center of Franciscan spirituality.
Map of attractions near Temple of Clitunno
Hotels near Temple of Clitunno
Hotels to stay near Temple of Clitunno
Know more about Temple of Clitunno
Temple of Clitunno
Strada Statale Flaminia, 06042 Pissignano PG, Italy
The temple of Clitunno is a small chapel in the shape of the temple in the town of Campello Sul Clitunno. It is located about 1 km downstream of the sources of the Clitunno river, in an area where there are other springs, in the hamlet of Passignano. It is part of the serial site " Lombards in Italy: the places of power ", including seven places full of architectural, pictorial, and sculptural testimonies of Lombard art , registered in the List of World Heritage Sites of humanity UNESCO in June