Attractions to explore nearby Casa Santi
Casa Santi or Rafael's Birthplace is a museum in the city of Urbino. It belongs to the Historic Center of Urbino, declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco in 1998. The house where Raphael was born in 1483 was built in the 14th century and, since 1460, Giovanni Santi, father of the famous painter, who was himself a painter and poet, lived there. In 1637 the building was acquired by Muzio Oddi, a local architect; and in 1837 it became the headquarters of the Rafael Academy.
The oratory of San Giovanni Battista, Sant'Antonio Abate and San Giacomo Apostolo is located in Urbino in via Barocci , under the Albornoz fortress, and is one of the main city monuments. The external façade underwent a radical restoration in the neo - Gothic style at the beginning of the 20th century, based on a project by Diomede Catalucci.
The cathedral of Urbino is the main church of the city and the cathedral of the archdiocese of Urbino-Urbania-Sant'Angelo in Vado. It has remained similar in size to the previous Renaissance cathedral, demolished by the earthquake of 1789, and has been rebuilt in a neoclassical style; it measures 64.5 m in length, 36.8 m in width, and 50 m in height. It is dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta. In November 1950, Pope Pius XII elevated it to the dignity of a minor basilica.
The National Gallery of the Marche is an Italian state museum based in the Ducal Palace of Urbino. Its collections derive largely from works collected in the nineteenth century from churches and convents in the Marche region ; relatively few are the works of the ducal collections, which have been lost over the centuries. The most famous section is linked to the Urbino Renaissance, with two works by Piero della Francesca and others by the artists of the court of Federico da Montefeltro.
The Ducal Palace of Urbino is one of the most interesting architectural and artistic examples of the entire Italian Renaissance and is home to the National Gallery of the Marche. The building, owned by the Italian State, is located in the center of the historic village of Urbino, flanked by other monuments such as the cathedral and the Sanzio Theater. It is one of the most visited monuments in the region and is the site of museums, musical and artistic events.