Lighthouse of Genoa
Rampa della Lanterna, 16126 Genova GE, Italy
About Lighthouse of Genoa
The Lanterna di Genova is the port lighthouse of the capital of Liguria, the city once called the Superb or Dominant of the seas. In addition to being an indispensable tool for the nocturnal navigation of ships entering and leaving the port, the Lantern is also the city's symbolic monument, almost a totem to Genoese life, and as such is part of the history of the city. The building consists of a tower on two orders of square section with a terrace at the top of each order.
Attractions near Lighthouse of Genoa
The old port is a part of the port of Genoa currently used as a residential area, a tourist, cultural, and service center divided into two areas given in concession by the state property to the Porto Antico di Genova SpA companies. and Marina Porto Antico SpA and an area managed directly by the Municipality of Genoa.
The Galata - Museo del mare di Genova is the largest museum dedicated to this genus in the Mediterranean area and also one of the most modern in Italy. The museum houses, in addition to a full-scale reproduction of a Genoese galley, several interactive rooms in which to understand what it meant, in different eras, to go to sea. One of these is the "La Merica" exhibition which shows the journey of our ancestors to America.
The Bigo is an architectural structure present in the ancient port of Genoa. Designed by Renzo Piano for the Colombiadi in 1992, the name and design are inspired by the bigo , that is the crane used for loading and unloading in the naval environment. The Bigo has, in addition to an image function, also a structural function and a tourist one.
The Aquarium of Genoa is an aquarium located in Ponte Spinola, in the sixteenth-century ancient port of Genoa. At the time of its inauguration, it was the largest in Europe and the second in the world. Owned by Porto Antico di Genova SpA and managed by Costa Edutainment SpA, it was inaugurated in 1992 on the occasion of the Colombiadi , the Expo celebrating the 500th anniversary of the discovery of America.
Palazzo San Giorgio, or Palazzo delle Compere di San Giorgio, is one of the most important and well-known historical buildings in Genoa. It currently houses the headquarters of the Port Authority of Genoa. The building, included in the Molo district, consists of two distinct parts: an older part, a typical example of medieval civil architecture, with the façade facing the Sottoripa portico, and a Renaissance one.
Royal Palace Museum is a major palace in Genoa. Construction of the present structure began in 1618 for the Balbi family. From 1643-1655, work renewed under the direction of the architects Pier Francesco Cantone and Michele Moncino. In 1677, the palace was sold to the Durazzo Family, who enlarged the palace under the designs of Carlo Fontana. The palace contains much original furniture and decoration. it is one of the key attractions in this area.
Where is Lighthouse of Genoa
Discover more attractions in Liguria, where Lighthouse of Genoa is located
The Liguria region is a destination recommended both for those who like relaxation and for dynamic people: with its jagged land, its hills, peaks and cliff-hanging villages, is the ideal spot for hiking or bicycling, diving or paragliding, as well as visiting villages rich in history.