Attractions to explore nearby Cattedrale di San Giusto Martire
The Cathedral Basilica of San Giusto is the main Catholic religious building in the city of Trieste. It is located on the top of the homonymous hill overlooking the city. As reported by most Trieste historians, the current appearance of the basilica derives from the unification of the two pre-existing churches of Santa Maria and the one dedicated to the martyr San Giusto, which were incorporated under the same roof by Bishop Rodolfo Pedrazzani da Robecco.
The castle of San Giusto is a fortress - a museum located on the hill of the same name, in Trieste. As a historic residence, it was restored in the 2000s and used as a civic museum by the Municipality of Trieste, to which the structure has belonged since 1930. On Lalio bastion was opened on 4 April 2001 the Lapidary Tergestino consists of inscriptions, sculptures, bas-reliefs, and fragments of architecture from Roman times.
The Roman theater of Trieste is located in Trieste at the foot of the San Giusto hill, in the heart of the city, on the edge of the old city, between via Donota and via del Teatro Romano. The construction of the theater is dated to the end of the 1st century BC and enlarged at the beginning of the 2nd century AD It was probably built at the behest of the Trieste Quinto Petronio Modesto, procurator, and famine of the emperor Trajan, mentioned in several inscriptions.
L ' Arco di Riccardo is according to some sources, one of the doors Roman of Trieste dating from the first century BC probably built in the' Emperor Augustus in the years 33-32 BC The forms of architectural decoration allow us to date the current form of the arc in the Claudian-Neronian or perhaps Flavian age. According to other sources instead it is one of the entrances to the sanctuary of the Magna Mater.
The fountain of four continents was created in 1750 by Giovanni Mazzoli. The sculpture is a symbol of four then known parts of the world: Europe, Asia, Africa, and America. The fountain was an important source of potable water for the locals before the days of indoor plumbing, but even more importantly it was a grandiose monument to the power and glory of the pope and his family.
Piazza Unità d'Italia is the main square of Trieste, located at the foot of the San Giusto hill, between Borgo Teresiano and Borgo Giuseppina . Rectangular in plan, on a total area of 12,280 m², it opens onto the Gulf of Trieste on one side and is surrounded by numerous palaces and public buildings, headquarters of various bodies: the Trieste town hall, the regional government building of Friuli Venezia Giulia and the prefecture of the capital.
The Molo Audace is located on the banks of Trieste, in the heart of the city, a few steps from Piazza Unità d'Italia and the Grand Canal. It separates the basin of San Giorgio from the basin of San Giusto del Porto Vecchio. Back then the pier was shorter than it looks today; it measured only 95 meters in length and was joined to the ground by a small wooden bridge. In 1778 it was lengthened by 19 meters and in 1860-1861 by another 132 meters, thus reaching its current length of 246 meters.
The Opicina Tramway, also known as "Opicina Railway", one of the tourist attractions of the city of Trieste, is a panoramic interurban tramway managed by Trieste Trasporti. A unique feature in Europe is that of having a steep slope of about 800 m along which the cars are pushed or held back by shield wagons tied to a funicular system. When in use, for most of the journey the line operates as a conventional, electrically powered tramway, with a mixture of street running and reserved track.
The synagogue of Trieste, inaugurated in 1912, located in Piazza Virgilio Giotti, in Trieste is considered one of the largest Jewish religious buildings in Europe, second in size only to the Budapest Temple, testifying to the economic, cultural, and social importance of the communities Jews within the Austro-Hungarian Empire. With the 1918 annexation of Trieste to Italy, it becomes, together with the synagogues of Rome, Genoa, and Livorno, one of the four great synagogues of the twentieth centur
La risiera di San Sabba was a Nazi concentration camp, located in the city of Trieste, used as a police detention camp, as well as for the transit or killing of a large number of prisoners, mainly political prisoners or Jews. In addition to the prisoners destined to be killed or deported, there were also imprisoned several civilians captured in roundups or destined for forced labor. The victims were shot, killed with a club blow to the back of the head, hanged or poisoned with the exhaust fumes
The Vittoria lighthouse is located in Trieste and was built between January 15, 1923, and May 24, 1927, by the Italian architect Arduino Berlam . In addition to fulfilling the functions of a lighthouse for navigation, illuminating the Gulf of Trieste, it also performs the functions of a commemorative monument in honor of the fallen of the sea during the First World War, as evidenced by the inscription placed at its base.
Barcola is a coastal village. In Roman times it housed one of the most sumptuous villas in the region, perhaps belonging to the favorite of Nero Calvia Crispinilla . The building, built in the second half of the 1st century BC and enlarged in the following century, extended for a length of three hundred meters along the seafront and had spas, a pier and extensive gardens. Many rooms were decorated with mosaics and statues . Some finds are kept in the Tergestino Lapidary at the Castle of San Gius
The Giant Cave is a karst cave, explored in 1840 and opened to tourism by the Triestini Tourists Club as early as 1908. Following the loss of the Postojna Caves, which passed to Yugoslavia in 1947, it received a strong tourist boost after World War II. The cave is located on the Karst plateau, a few kilometers from the city of Trieste and the border with Slovenia.
The Miramare Castle is a historical building and museum Trieste. The complex, surrounded by a large park, was originally built between 1856 and 1860 in the locality of the same name as the home of Maximilian of Habsburg-Lorraine, Archduke of Austria and later Emperor of Mexico, and of his consort Charlotte of Belgium. Castle and park are one of the Italian state museums, which in 2016 was granted special autonomy by the Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities.
The Val Rosandra, located near Trieste between the town of San Dorligo Della Valle and the Slovenian the Municipality of Hrpelje-Kozina, is a valley carved by the river Rosandra. Some of its characteristics, such as the wild aspect, with cliffs, scree, and overhanging walls, or the waterfall of the stream followed by the gorges it crosses, as well as the presence of a large number of caves, have made Val Rosandra a destination for exploration caving, as well as a rock gymnasium and study site o