Attractions to explore nearby Via dell'Indipendenza - With photos & details

Get Travalour for free on Google Play

Attractions to explore nearby Via dell'Indipendenza

Via dell'IndipendenzaVia dell'Indipendenza, Bologna BO, Italy

Via dell'Indipendenza, commonly called Via Indipendenza, is a street in the historic center of Bologna that leads from Piazza Maggiore to Bologna Centrale station, marking the border between the districts of Porto-Saragozza and Santo Stefano in the city of Bologna.  Today, Via Indipendenza is considered the main shopping area of ​​the Emilian-Romagna capital, also crossing the Cathedral of San Pietro, the Arena del Sole, and Piazza VIII Agosto.

10
Torre Prendiparte o Torre Coronata0.35 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The Torre del Prendiparte is one of the approximately 20 noble towers still existing in the historic center of the city of Bologna.  Erected in the second half of the 12th century, it is 59.50 meters high and is characterized by a slight slope towards the north.  The tower was part of the so-called triad of medieval skyscrapers together with those of the Galluzzi and the Azzoguidi.

Parco della Montagnola0.45 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The Montagnola garden is one of the oldest and most central green areas in the city of Bologna, which opened for the first time in the 17th century.  In the garden of the Montagnola the bodies of Luigi Zamboni and Giovanni Battista De Rolandis were solemnly buried on the direct order of Napoleon, who in 1794 led an attempted revolt to Bologna during which Italian tricolor cockades were used; in 1799, with the arrival of the Austrians, the bodies were dispersed.

Biblioteca Salaborsa0.51 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The Salaborsa Library was inaugurated in 2001 inside Palazzo d'Accursio, the historic seat of the Municipality of Bologna. It overlooks Piazza Nettuno and via Ugo Bassi.  Visitors to the library are able to see an archaeological site through the crystal floor in the center of the library. The ancient ruins are also accessible from the basement floor, where there is information about them.

Palazzo Re Enzo0.51 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The Re Enzo Palace is a historic building in Bologna dating from the thirteenth century.  It was built between 1244 and 1246 at the behest of the podestà Filippo Ugoni as an extension of the municipal buildings of the Palazzo del Podestà and for this reason, called Palatium Novum, but its historical events have made it always linked to the figure of King Enzo of Sardinia.

Palazzo del Podestà, Bologna0.53 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The Palazzo del Podestà in Bologna overlooks Piazza Maggiore, in the heart of the city, together with the Palazzo Comunale and the Basilica of San Petronio.  It was built around 1200, together with Piazza Maggiore as a building to carry out public functions and therefore the seat of the podestà and his officials. The current layout is very different from the original one also because the Palazzo Re Enzo was built later, between 1244 and 1246.

Fountain of Neptune0.54 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The fountain of Neptune, nicknamed al Żigànt in dialect by the Bolognese because of the size of the statue of Neptune, is located in Bologna in Piazza del Nettuno.  The over-life-size bronze figure of the god Neptune was completed and fixed in place around 1567. The statue was an early design by Giambologna, who had submitted a model for the Fountain of Neptune in Florence but had lost the commission to Baccio Bandinelli.

Piazza Maggiore0.57 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

Piazza Maggiore is the main square of Bologna, measuring 115 meters in length and 60 meters in width, and surrounded by the most important buildings of the medieval city.  The oldest building facing the square is the Palazzo del Podestà, which closes the square to the north; it dates back to the 13th century and is surmounted by the Torre dell'Arengo, which by ringing its bell called the people to gather. The Palazzo Re Enzo was soon added to this, under which the cross vault of a pedestrian cro

Two Towers0.59 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The Two Towers, both of them leaning, are the symbol of Bologna, Italy, and the most prominent of the Towers of Bologna. They are located at the intersection of the roads that lead to the five gates of the old ring wall.  The taller one is called the Asinelli while the smaller but more leaning tower is called the Garisenda. It was one of the iconic attractions in this area and it attracts a lot of tourists.

Palazzo d'Accursio0.61 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The Palazzo d'Accursio , also called Town Hall [1] (in Bolognese dialect PALAZ without the article) is a building that overlooks the Piazza Maggiore and is currently home to the City Hall of Bologna. Today's palace is a collection of buildings that have been united over the centuries. The original nucleus, purchased by the Municipality at the end of the 13th century, included the home of Accursio , a jurist and teacher of law in the Bologna studio.

Basilica di San Petronio0.68 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The Basilica di San Petronio is one of the largest churches in the world and Bologna’s Gothic masterpiece. Although construction began in the late 14th century, the building, which was to be larger than St. Peter's Basilica, is largely unfinished since the 17th century. It has been the seat of the relics of Bologna's patron saint only since 2000; until then they were preserved in the Santo Stefano church of Bologna.

Museo Civico Archeologico0.69 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The Civic Archaeological Museum of Bologna is housed in the fifteenth-century Palazzo Galvani, in Via dell'Archiginnasio 2, 40124 Bologna, the ancient "Hospital of Death". Inaugurated in September 1881, it was born from the merger of two museums: the University - heir to the "Room of Antiquities" of the Academy of Sciences founded by Luigi Ferdinando Marsili - and the Comunale

MAMbo - Museo d’Arte Moderna di Bologna0.70 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The Museum of Modern Art of Bologna is one of the main Italian museums of modern and contemporary art. It is the seat of the Bologna Musei Institution, oriented towards contemporary artistic research. It houses both permanent collections and temporary exhibitions. Inside there is a library, a bookshop, and a bar/restaurant.

Teatro Anatomico0.78 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The anatomical theater of the Archiginnasio is a room historically used for anatomy lessons and demonstrations held at the medical faculty of Bologna, which was once located in the Archiginnasio building, the first unified seat of the University of Bologna.  The theater was almost completely destroyed during the Second World War, by an air raid on 29 January 1944. After the war the theater was rebuilt with exemplary philological rigor.

Pinacoteca Nazionale0.78 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The National Picture Gallery of Bologna is an Italian state museum. It is based in Bologna in the former Jesuit novitiate, a historic building that also houses the Academy of Fine Arts. The picture gallery offers a vast overview of Emilian painting from the thirteenth to the eighteenth century; however, there is no lack of fundamental evidence of non-Bolognese artists who had contact with the city.  It is owned by the Ministry for Cultural Heritage and Activities.

Archiginnasio of Bologna0.79 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The Archiginnasio of Bologna is one of the most significant buildings in the city of Bologna: located in the heart of the historic center, it was the seat of the ancient University and is now the seat of the Archiginnasio Municipal Library.  The building ceased its university function in 1803. Since 1838 it is the seat of the Municipal Library of Archiginnasio, the largest in Emilia-Romagna.

Basilica Santo Stefano0.91 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

Santo Stefano is the most unique complex in Bologna, as it is a true city sanctuary and the cradle of our ancestor’s faith.  This extraordinary religious site consists of four medieval churches, originally there were seven churches, and therefore it is known by the name of Sette Chiese. Besides churches, this peaceful complex contains of cloisters, tombs, and courtyards, a great place to browse religious art and artifacts too.

Piazza Santo Stefano0.93 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

Piazza Santo Stefano is one of the most characteristic sights of Bologna. Actually it is more than a square, a widening that originates from via Santo Stefano and leads to the Two Towers. The monumental complex dominating the square is the Basilica of Santo Stefano, commonly known as “seven churches“. It is articulated on seven sacred buildings constructed and reworked in different eras, mainly by the work of the patron saint of Bologna, San Petronio.

Piazza Cavour0.93 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

Piazza Camillo Benso Conte di Cavour, commonly known as Piazza Cavour is a square in the historic center of Naples, located between the Stella and San Lorenzo districts.  The square, in which via Foria and via Costantinopoli open between the various streets and a short distance from the National Archaeological Museum, is made up for the most part of gardens that occupy the entire central part in length, incorporating the two underground stations located at the lateral limits square and the Trito

Basilica of San Domenico1.07 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The Basilica of San Domenico is one of the richest churches in Bologna in art history and was erected by the Dominican Friars as a place to store the remains of San Domenico di Guzman, founder of the order and who arrived in Bologna around 1200. Inside there are priceless works of art by authors such as Guercino, Filippino Lippi, and Ludovico Carracci. The church's small museum houses many important works of art and a wide collection of precious reliquaries, chalices, and monstrances.

Giardini Margherita1.81 KMs away from Via dell'Indipendenza

The Margherita Gardens are the main public park in Bologna as well as the largest covering 26 hectares. Inaugurated in 1879 as Passeggio Regina Margherita, the park still maintains most of its original layout inspired by the English Romantic parks. The gardens were built on the plan of Count of Sambuy, in an area bought by Count Angelo Tattini in 1874 and then sold to the council.