Attractions to explore nearby Palazzo della Pilotta
The Palazzo Della Pilotta, also called simply la Pilotta, is a vast complex of buildings located in the historic center of Parma, located between Piazzale della Pace and the Lungoparma. The name derives from the game of Basque pelota, played by Spanish soldiers in the courtyard of the Guazzatoio, originally called the pelota. It currently houses the National Archaeological Museum, the National Gallery, the Palatine Library, and the Bodonian Museum. In 2016, the complex attracted 89,478 visitors
The National Gallery of Parma is located in Piazza Della Pilotta 6 in Parma, inside the Palazzo Della Pilotta. The museum exhibits, among others, works by Beato Angelico , Canaletto, Guercino, Leonardo da Vinci, Parmigianino, Tintoretto, Correggio, Sebastiano del Piombo. The Parma collection began in the Renaissance by the Farnese family; in 1734 Charles of Bourbon had the rich collection transferred to Naples.
The Teatro Regio di Parma is the opera house of the city of Parma and considered one of the most important traditional theaters in Italy. Although it is less known internationally than the Scala in Milan and the Fenice in Venice, it is considered by opera enthusiasts to be one of the houses par excellence of the great Italian opera tradition.
The baptistery of Parma is a Catholic place of worship for the baptismal rite, located in Piazza Duomo, next to the cathedral, in Parma, in the province and diocese of Parma; it is considered as the junction point between Romanesque and Gothic architecture. It was commissioned to Benedetto Antelami, who began its decoration in 1196. was commissioned to Benedetto Antelami, who began its decoration in 1196.
The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, consecrated in 1106, is the most important Catholic place of worship in Parma, the mother church of the diocese of the same name. It stands in Piazza Duomo, next to the Baptistery and the Bishop's Palace. Externally it is in Romanesque style, with a gabled façade, also typical of the churches of other cities in the north of Italy. Internally the Romanesque structure has remained, even if most of the interiors are due to subsequent Renaissance interventions.