Attractions to explore nearby Cathedral of Saint Mary 'della Bruna' and Saint Eustace
The Cathedral of the Madonna Della Bruna and Sant’Eustachio is the Cathedral of Matera, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, the patron saint of the city, and to the Christian martyr Saint Eustace. The church is located on the highest point of the old city, between the two Sassi, the ancient districts of Matera. Formerly the seat of the Bishops, later Archbishops, of Matera, it is now the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Matera-Irsina.
The Sassi di Matera are two districts of Matera, Sasso Caveoso and Sasso Barisano, made up of rock buildings and architecture dug into the rock of the Murgia of Matera and inhabited since prehistoric times. Together with the Civita district (built on the spur that separates the two Sassi), they constitute the historic center of the city of Matera. In 1993 they were declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The MUSMA ( Museum of contemporary sculpture Matera ) is an Italian museum located in Matera and dedicated to sculpture . It was inaugurated in 2006 and is located in Palazzo Pomarici , on the highest part of the Sassi district. It houses about 270 works by 200 different artists, including Kengiro Azuma , Duilio Cambellotti , Pietro Consagra , Pericle Fazzini , Luigi Guerricchio , Emilio Isgrò , Giacomo Manzù , José Ortega and Arnaldo Pomodoro.
The Church of Saints Peter and Paul, commonly known as the Church of San Pietro Caveoso, is a church in Matera, located in the southern ancient district of the city, Sasso Caveoso. The church was built in 1218 but undergone numerous changes and renovations over the centuries, and many of its original features were lost in time. In the 17th century, the church was completely renovated and the current facade was built.
The church of Santa Maria di Idris , also known as "Santa Maria de Idris" or "Madonna de Idris", is located in Matera , inside the Sassi . It is a rock church , that is, carved into the rock . It is located in the upper part of Monterrone, a large limestone cliff that rises in the middle of the Sasso Caveoso; it can be reached via a flight of stairs near the rock church of Santa Lucia alle Malve . The name Idris derives from the Greek Odigitria , the one who shows the way, or from the water that
The Domenico Ridola National Archaeological Museum is an Italian state museum, located in the former convent of Santa Chiara in Matera. It was established on 9 February 1911 by the will of the senator and physician Domenico Ridola, who donated his important archaeological collections to the state and is, therefore, the oldest museum in Basilicata. It exhibits numerous archaeological remains found in excavations in the province of Matera and in the Murge.
Piazza Vittorio Veneto is one of the historic and arcaded squares of Turin, located in the eastern part of the city center, between the end of Via Po and the left bank of the Po river. In fact, the square ends with the historic Vittorio Emanuele I bridge, which connects the square itself, together with the two lateral riversides and the so-called Murazzi del Po, to the right bank of the river.
Palombaro Lungo is the largest underground water cistern in the city of Matera and is located under the pavement of Piazza Vittorio Veneto, where rainwater and spring waters from the hills of La Nera, Lapillo and Macamarda converge. Together with other underground cisterns it forms the famous underground Matera; the cistern is part of a water collection system that extends along the entire length of the stones of Matera and was necessary for the supply of its inhabitants.
Palazzo Lanfranchi is the greatest monument that represents the seventeenth - century period in Matera. In front of the door is the sculpture "The Drop" by Kengiro Azuma. The palace has undergone many renovations and has housed the Museo Della Grafica since 2007. The Museum houses the collection of the Gabinetto Disegni e Stampe dell’Università di Pisa; initially curated in 1957 by Carlo Ludovico Ragghianti.
Saint Lucia alle Malve is a rock church situated at the Sasso Caveoso in Matera, adjacent to a monastery female Benedictine dating back to the ' eleventh century. Initially, the church was dedicated to Sant'Agata, to be later dedicated to Santa Lucia between 1217 and 1267. After the transfer in 1525 of the nuns first to the monastery of Santa Lucia Alla Civita and then to Santa Lucia al Piano, the church was used as a residence.
Situated on a hill near the town centre, In Aragonese style, the castle, with a central male and two lower side towers, one and the other round, scalloped and equipped with loops, was built from 1501 by Giovanni Carlo Tramontano, Count of Matera. This 15th-century castle was left unfinished after the unpopular Count Tramontano, seemingly unaware that high taxes and his habit of bedding every new bride on her wedding night wasn't winning much favour, was killed by rebellious subjects.
This is the most outstanding, intact example of a troglodyte settlement in the Mediterranean region, perfectly adapted to its terrain and ecosystem. The first inhabited zone dates from the Palaeolithic, while later settlements illustrate a number of significant stages in human history. Matera is in the southern region of Basilicata.