Attractions to explore near BMW Museum
The museum contains engines and turbines, aircraft, motorcycles, and vehicles in a plethora of possible variations. In addition to actual models, there are futuristic-looking, even conceptual studies from the past 20 years displayed here.
Located in the Olympic Park, Munich, it has an overall height of 291 m (955 ft) and a weight of 52,500 tons. At a height of 190 m (620 ft) there is an observation platform as well as a small rock and roll museum housing various memorabilia. At a height of 182 m (597 ft) there is a revolving restaurant, which seats 230 people.
An art museum located in the Kunstareal area in Munich. It is one of the oldest galleries in the world and houses a significant collection of Old Master paintings. The name Alte (Old) Pinakothek refers to the time period covered by the collection—from the fourteenth to the eighteenth century.
The former royal palace of the Wittelsbach monarchs of Bavaria. It is the largest city palace in Germany and is open to visitors for its architecture, room decorations, and displays from the former royal collections. The complex of buildings contains ten courtyards and displays 130 rooms.
Because of local height limits, the church towers of Frauenkirche are widely visible in Munich. City administration prohibits buildings with a height exceeding 99 m in the city, and as a result, no buildings may be built in the city over the aforementioned height. The south tower, which is normally open to those wishing to climb the stairs, will offer a unique view of Munich and the nearby Alps after its current renovation is completed. Both the towers are approximately 99 meters in height.
One of the most important museums of decorative arts in Europe and one of the largest art museums in Germany. Founded by King Maximilian II of Bavaria in 1855. It houses a large collection of European artifacts from the late antiquity until the early 20th century with particular strengths in the medieval through early modern periods. The collection has been divided into two main groups: the art historical collection and the folklore collection.
Combined with the adjacent Nymphenburg Palace Park, it constitutes one of the premier royal palaces of Europe. Its frontal width of 632 m (2,073 ft) (north-south axis) even surpasses Versailles Palace in France. It served as the main summer residence for the former rulers of Bavaria of the House of Wittelsbach. Nymphenburg is open to the public but also continues to be a home and chancery for the head of the House of Wittelsbach.
A Roman Catholic parish church in the inner city of Munich. Its 91-meter (299 ft) tower is commonly known as "Alter Peter" (Old Pete) and is emblematic of Munich. It is the oldest recorded parish church in Munich and presumably the originating point for the whole city.
Built from 1733 to 1746 by the brothers, sculptor Egid Quirin Asam, and painter Cosmas Damian Asam as their private church. It is considered to be one of the most important buildings of the southern German Late Baroque. The church was built without an order, as a private chapel for the greater glory of God and for the salvation of the builders.
A 40 hectare (99 acres) zoological garden in Munich, situated on the right bank of the river Isar. A high ratio of enclosures are cageless, relying upon moat features to keep the animals in place. The zoo was the first zoo in the world not organized by species, but also by geographical aspects. The zoo focuses on conservation and captive breeding rare species such as the rare drill and silvery gibbons. Also, gorillas, giraffes, elephants, wood bison, elk, and Arctic foxes were successfully bred
First of the Nazi concentration camps opened in 1933, intended to hold political prisoners. After its opening by Heinrich Himmler, its purpose was enlarged to include forced labor, and, eventually, the imprisonment of Jews, German and Austrian criminals, and foreign nationals from countries that Germany occupied or invaded. There were 32,000 documented deaths at the camp and thousands that are undocumented.
World's oldest social housing complex still in use. Founded in 1516 by Jakob Fugger the Younger(a merchant, mining entrepreneur, and banker) as a place where the needy citizens of Augsburg could be housed. The rent was and is still one Rhenish guilder per year (equivalent to 0.88 euros), as well as three daily prayers for the current owners of the Fuggerei.
A complex of royal buildings on Herreninsel, the largest island in the Chiemsee lake. The island, formerly the site of an Augustinian monastery, was purchased by King Ludwig II of Bavaria in 1873. The king converted the premises into a residence, known as the Old Palace (Altes Schloss). From 1878 onwards, he had the New Herrenchiemsee Palace (Neues Schloss) erected, based on the model of Palace of Versailles. It was the largest, but also the last of his building projects, and remained incomplete