Attractions to explore near Fraumünster Church
A church in Zürich that was built on the remains of a former abbey for aristocratic women which was founded in 853 by Louis the German for his daughter Hildegard.
Wasserkirche is a church built on a small island in the Limmat, situated between the two main churches of medieval Zürich, the Grossmünster and the Fraumünster, at the Limmatquai and the Münsterbrücke. The Helmhaus is an extension of the church to the north, first mentioned in 1253 as a court of criminal justice, at which time it was a simple wooden structure covering the eastern end of the bridge. It was one of the main tourist attractions in this area.
Paradeplatz is a square at the Bahnhofstrasse in downtown Zürich, Switzerland. It is one of the most expensive pieces of real estate in Switzerland and has become synonymous with wealth and the Swiss banks, being the location of the headquarters of both UBS and Credit Suisse. The site of the square lay without the medieval city walls, and was incorporated into the town with the construction of the new ramparts in 1642. During the 17th century.
This church is a landmark of Zurich. Legend has it that the church was built on the graves of the city’s patron saints, Felix and Regula. the Grossmünster church was the starting point of the Swiss-German Reformation led by Huldrych Zwingli and Heinrich Bullinger. The theological college then annexed to the monastery spawned what is now the University of Zürich.
The Rathaus was built from 1694-1698. It served as the seat of government and administration of the Republic of Zurich until 1798. The canton of Zurich owns it since 1803, and it houses both legislative chambers, the cantonal parliament as well as the City Parliament. It was one of the iconic buildings in this area and has so much historical significance.
One of the world’s leading private collections of clocks can be found at this Beyer Clock and Watch Museum. Around 260 very valuable exhibits present the history of timekeeping from 1400 BC to the present day: from sundials to water and tower clocks, Renaissance automata, magnificent pendulum clocks, elaborately decorated pocket watches, and the prototype of the first quartz wristwatch. Scientific navigation devices are also featured here.
Limmatquai is a street in the Swiss city of Zürich. It is named after the Limmat, and it follows the right-hand bank of that river for about 1 kilometre through the Altstadt, or historical core, of the city. The street was once important for both road and public transportation, but today sections of it form a pedestrian zone shared with Zürich's trams, effectively forming a northern extension of the Seeuferanlage promenades that ring the shores of Lake Zürich.
Bahnhofstrasse – Zurich's Shopping Boulevard You can find everything that your heart desires in Bahnhofstrasse: fashion, art, and Zurich specialties attract local residents as well as visitors. It was created after the construction of Zurich’s Main Railway Station.
Augustinergasse is one of the most beautiful historical, narrow streets in Zurich. With many well-preserved, colorfully painted bay windows, it provides an insight into the history of the city. It connects busy Bahnhofstrasse with the former Gothic Augustiner Church from the 13th century and continues to the "oasis" St.
The historical site of the Roman castle. Currently, there is very little of it remains, and it serves as a recreational space, a green oasis, and automobile free space in the old historic city center. Its elevated position makes it a favorite point for tourists to get an overview of the geography of old Zürich.
Bürkliplatz is a town square in Zürich, Switzerland. It is named after Arnold Bürkli and is one of the nodal points of the road and public transportation, and of the lakeshore promenades that were built between 1881 and 1887. The tree-shaded square between Bahnhofstrasse and Fraumünsterstrasse is called Stadthausanlage.
Predigerkirche is one of the four main churches of the old town of Zürich, Switzerland, besides Fraumünster, Grossmünster, and St. Peter. First built in 1231 AD as a Romanesque church of the then Dominican Predigerkloster, the Basilica was converted in the first half of the 14th century, the choir between 1308 and 1350 rebuilt, and a for that time unusual high bell tower was built, regarded as the highest Gothic edifice in Zürich.
The Zentralbibliothek Zürich (ZB) is the cantonal, city and university library of Zurich. With over six million documents and more than half a million visitors per year, the ZB is one of the largest Swiss libraries. It currently houses some 5.1 million items, among these 3.9 million printed volumes, 124,000 manuscripts, 243,000 maps and 560,000 microfiches.
Haus Konstruktiv, the Foundation for Constructive and Concrete Art, was founded by private individuals in 1986. From 1987 to spring 2001 it was located at Seefeldstrasse 317 in the outer Seefeld area of Zurich and was known as the "House for Constructive and Concrete Art". The foundation promotes "constructive, concrete, and conceptual art and design".
The Polybahn, also known as the UBS Polybahn, is a funicular railway in the city of Zürich, Switzerland. The line links the Central square with the terrace by the main building of ETH Zürich, and from which the railway derives its name. Previous names for the line include the SBG Polybahn and the Zürichbergbahn. The line is owned by the banking group UBS AG and operated on their behalf by the municipal transport operator Verkehrsbetriebe Zürich.