Attractions to explore nearby Sant'Erasmo
Sant'Erasmo is an island in the Venetian Lagoon that is located northeast of Lido Island and east of Venice, Italy. though it's only sparsely populated. For years this has been Venice's countryside, the agricultural zone which produces the fruit and vegetables consumed by the hungry city. The island is a long strip of land running from the south-west to the north-east. There is a ferry service to this island.
Burano is actually an archipelago, just like Venice, it has four small islands connected by bridges and crossed by three canals and it's located on the northern end of Venetian Lagoon, near the island of Torcello. Burano is famous for its colored houses and for lace production. The island is linked to Mazzorbo by a bridge. The current population of Burano is about 2,400. It is one of the main attractions in this area.
The Glass Museum, founded in Murano in 1861, is part of the Venice Civic Museums Foundation. Its headquarters are in the historic Palazzo del Vescovi di Torcello, a flowery gothic style building formerly home to Bishop Marco Giustinian. It was born as a project for the establishment of an archive that would bring together the testimonies of the history of the island but quickly evolved into its museum form.
Murano is an island located northeast of Venice, along the Canal Marani. It has about 5600 inhabitants and is composed of seven smaller islands separated by canals and rivers, linked by bridges. It was founded between the 5th and the 7th century and it became the manufacturing centre for Venetian glass, exported in large quantities to all of Europe.
The Arsenal of Venice is an ancient complex of shipyards and workshops that forms a very large part of the island city of Venice, at its eastern end. It was the heart of the Venetian naval industry starting from the 12th century and is linked to the most flourishing period of the life of the Serenissima: thanks to the imposing ships built here, the Venetian Republic was able to fight the Ottomans in the Aegean Sea and conquer the routes of northern Europe.
A beautiful island which was in the Venetian Lagoon, northern Italy. The island was a popular place for local travellers and fishermen to land. Mauro Codussi's Chiesa di San Michele in Isola of 1469, the first Renaissance church in Venice, and a monastery lie on the island, which also served for a time as a prison.
Giardini Della Biennale is an area of parkland in the historic city of Venice which hosts the Venice Biennale Art Festival. The traditional site of La Biennale Art Exhibitions since the first edition in 1895, the Giardini rise to the eastern edge of Venice and were made by Napoleon at the beginning of the nineteenth century. The gardens are also famous for the many cats which run wild in the vicinity and for some of the sculptures such as the statue of Garibaldi situated at the entrance.
Torcello is an island in the northern Venetian lagoon. It was one of the oldest and most prosperous settlements in the lagoon, until the decline following the predominance of nearby Venice and the changing environmental conditions. Currently, the island has just eleven residents, but the inestimable archaeological heritage it still preserves makes it a very popular tourist spot.
The basilica of Santa Maria Assunta is the main place of Catholic worship on the island of Torcello, in the Venice lagoon, and the ancient cathedral of the suppressed diocese of Torcello. rises just away from what remains of the square of the ancient city and almost isolated in the middle of the island. Next to it are the church of Santa Fosca and the foundations of the baptistery dedicated to San Giovanni, now disappeared: the three buildings formed a single religious complex.
The basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo is the largest church in Venice and one of the most surprising. Inside you can find the tombs of 27 doges and some paintings from important artists. the funeral services of all of Venice's doges were held here, and twenty-five doges are buried in the church.
The bookstore Libreria Acqua Alta is a great sight in Venice. The bookstore is named because it sits along a canal and can be subject to flooding when the city experience “acqua alta.” The self-proclaimed “most beautiful bookstore in the world” is composed of a number of over-stuffed rooms stacked wall-to-wall with books, magazines, maps, and other ephemera.
The church of San Zaccaria is a place of worship catholic city of Venice, located in the district of Castello, near the field that takes its name. The church is dedicated to Zaccaria, father of San Giovanni Battista. Very ancient church dating back to the 9th century, at the origin of the city, it was a place closely linked to the archaic history of Venice. It was now one of the famous pilgrimage centers in this area and also a tourist attraction too.
Riva degli Schiavoni is one of the most crowded areas in Venice. It's a picturesque waterfront in the central Castello district of the city, right along the Bacino di San Marco and the narrow bridge over the Rio di Palazzo della Paglia. It was originally built in the ninth century from dredged silt and was named for the Slavic men who brought cargo to Venice from across the Adriatic Sea.
The Querini Stampalia Foundation is a cultural foundation of Venice based in Palazzo Querini Stampalia. Born in 1869 by the will of NH Giovanni Querini Stampalia, who, who died without direct heirs, decided to leave all his assets for the creation of an institution to which he entrusted the task of "promoting the cult of good studies and useful disciplines". This is still the mission of the Foundation today, which preserves the patrimony of the noble Venetian family.
The church of Miracoli is a very special church, from a historical-artistic point of view, but also under a sentimental point of view for the Venetians. The church was built between 1481 and 1489 upon the commission of Angelo Amadi. The interior is enclosed by a wide barrel vault, with a single nave. The nave is dominated by an ornamental marble stair rising between two pulpits, with statues by Tullio Lombardo, Alessandro Vittoria, and Niccolò di Pietro. It was one of the iconic buildings in th
Bridge of Sighs is one of the most famous bridges not just in Venice, but in the world. It passes over the Rio di Palazzo and connects the Dogi's Palace to the Prigioni, the prisons that were built across the canal in the late 16th century. The enclosed bridge is made of white limestone, has windows with stone bars, passes over the Rio di Palazzo, and connects the New Prison to the interrogation rooms in the Doge's Palace.
A dazzling pink and white marble design and has been described - fairly accurately - as an oversized wedding cake. Much of the present building dates from the 15th century – although an earlier building on the spot may date back to the 9th century - and has been rebuilt and added on to several times. The palace was the residence of the Doge of Venice, the supreme authority of the former Republic. It was built in 1340, and extended and modified in the following centuries. It became a museum in 19
The Basilica di San Marco, right next to Saint Mark's Square and near the Doge's Palace, is the most famous of Venice's churches and is among the world's best-known examples of Byzantine architecture. It was built over several centuries, frequently transformed and enriched with precious treasures, often from the Far East. It is the most famous of the city's churches and one of the best-known examples of Italo-Byzantine architecture.
San Giorgio Maggiore is a 16th-century Benedictine church on the island of the same name in Venice. San Giorgio Maggiore's gleaming white facade faces across the basin of San Marco to the great piazza. Built as part of the Benedictine monastery on the island. The island, or more specifically its Palladian church, is an important landmark. It has been much painted, featuring for example in a series by Monet.
One of the majestic church in Venice, designed in 1566 by Andrea Palladio and finished in 1610 by Vincenzo Scamozzi. The church stands on the island of San Giorgio Maggiore, opposite the monumental San Marco Basilica, and is one of the first sights of Venice visible to the traveler approaching by sea. The church is a basilica in the classical Renaissance style and its brilliant white marble gleams above the blue water of the lagoon opposite the Piazzetta di San Marco and forms the focal point of
The Clock Tower is a building of medieval origin that overlooks Piazza Dei Signori in Padua. It stands between the Palazzo del Capitanio and the Palazzo dei Camerlenghi. The tower was built in the first half of the fourteenth century as the eastern gate of the Carrarese Palace. In 1428 it was raised and adorned in Gothic style and equipped with the famous astronomical clock. In 1531 the great triumphal arch was added to the base, based on a project by Giovanni Maria Falconetto.