Attractions to explore nearby Piazza di Santa Croce
Piazza Santa Croce is one of the most important squares of the cradle of the Renaissance, it takes its name from the beautiful Basilica which dominates the piazza, its also very well known for its yearly “Calcio Fiorentino” tournament that took place for the first time in the 16th century. The piazza is bordered by important buildings which are characterized by protruding planes supported by supports called sporti on the southern side.
The basilica of Santa Croce in the homonymous square in Florence is one of the largest Franciscan churches and one of the greatest achievements of the Gothic in Italy and has the rank of minor basilica. Santa Croce is a prestigious symbol of Florence, the meeting place of the greatest artists, theologians, religious, writers, humanists, and politicians, who determined, in good times and bad, the identity of the late medieval and Renaissance city. It was also a place of reception for popes such
Casa Buonarroti is one of the most extraordinary Florentine museums. It was also a place to remember and celebrate the greatness of Michelangelo and at the same time a pompous and Baroque exhibition of the art collections of the family. ts collections include two of Michelangelo's earliest sculptures, the Madonna of the Stairs and the Battle of the Centaurs. A ten-thousand book library and so more.
The Bargello Museum is located in the impressive Palazzo del Bargello, a fortress with powerful embattlements which surround the austere facade. Begun in 1255, the building was the headquarters of the Capitano del Popolo and later of the Podestà and Council of Justice. In 1574, it became the living quarters for the Captain of Justice (chief of police) and was used as a prison.
The Palazzo Vecchio is the main symbol of the civil power for the city of Florence, whose original project is attributed to Arnolfo di Cambio. Construction on the solid fortress began in 1299 above the ruins of the destroyed Uberti Ghibelline towers, the testimony of the final victory of the Guelph faction. From 1865 to 1871 it housed the Chamber of Deputies of the Kingdom of Italy, and since 1872 it has been the town hall.
The Galileo Museum of Florence is located in Piazza dei Giudici, near the Uffizi Gallery, in the Palazzo Castellani, a building of ancient origins, known in Dante's time as Castello d'Altafronte. It preserves one of the most important collections of scientific instruments in the world, material testimony of the importance attributed to science and its protagonists by the exponents of the Medici dynasty and the Lorraine grand dukes.
Piazza Della Signoria is the central square of Florence, the seat of civil power and the heart of the city's social life. L-shaped, it is located in the central part of medieval Florence, south of the cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore. In the past, it has taken on various names, such as piazza Dei Priori or piazza del Granduca. It is the meeting place of Florentines as well as the numerous tourists, located near Palazzo Vecchio and Piazza del Duomo and gateway to Uffizi Gallery.
The Loggia dei Lanzi is a beautiful arched gallery that was built in the 14th century at the Piazza della Signoria right in front of the Palazzo Vecchio. It consists of wide arches open to the street. The arches rest on clustered pilasters with Corinthian capitals. The wide arches appealed so much to the Florentines that Michelangelo proposed that they should be continued all around the Piazza della Signoria.
The Uffizi Gallery is a prominent art museum located adjacent to the Piazza Della Signoria in the Historic Centre of Florence in the region of Tuscany. The Gallery entirely occupies the first and second floors of the large building constructed between 1560 and 1580 and designed by Giorgio Vasari. It is famous worldwide for its outstanding collections of ancient sculptures and paintings. It also has an invaluable collection of ancient statues and busts from the Medici family.
The Museo dell Opera del Duomo is a museum in Florence, on the north-east side of the Piazza del Duomo. It collects works of art from the sacred complex of the Duomo of Florence, Giotto's Baptistery, and Bell Tower, with a very important nucleus of Gothic and Renaissance statuary. Among the most important works, works by Andrea Pisano, Arnolfo di Cambio, Nanni di Banco, the original reliefs of the Porta del Paradiso by Ghiberti
This tall structure halfway down Via dei Calzaiuoli looks more like a Gothic warehouse than a church—which is exactly what it was, built as a granary/grain market in 1337. On the ground floor of the square building are the 13th-century arches that originally formed the loggia of the grain market. The second floor was devoted to offices, while the third housed one of the city's municipal grain storehouses, maintained to withstand famine or siege.
Piazza della Repubblica is one of the main squares in Florence and marks the center of the city since Roman times. During medieval times the area around the column was densely populated with markets, tabernacles and churches. The square's Giubbe Rosse cafe has long been a meeting place for famous artists and writers, notably those of Futurism.
Piazza del Duomo lies in the very historic center of Florence, which is enough to say that, even if only geographically speaking, the respective piazza has a privileged position. Yet, it is by its statute as ultimate tourist hotspot that Piazza del Duomo stands out in sharp relief in the overcrowded picture of tourist attractions in Florence. The square contains the Florence Cathedral with the Cupola del Brunelleschi, the Giotto's Campanile, the Florence Baptistery and so more.
The Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore is situated in Florence in Italy is an architectural masterpiece and the pride of the Florentine skyline. The Cathedral is known for its rich history and architectural marvels. Built-in over 150 years, between 1296 and 1436, the building is a blend of different architectural styles that were prevalent in the different eras making it more intriguing than ever.
The Giardino Bardini is a Renaissance garden in Florence. Only opened recently to the public, it is relatively little-known. Access is gained via the Via de' Bardi, just over the road from the Museo Bardini in the Oltrarno district of the city, although the gardens exit onto the Costa di San Giorgio, onto which the Forte di Belevedere and the Giardino di Boboli connect in turn.
The Rose Garden in Florence is a park in the Oltrarno area below Piazzale Michelangelo to the west, in Viale Giuseppe Poggi. Once open to the public for only a short time in spring, the garden is now open every day of the year from 9 am to sunset. It covers about one hectare of terraced land from which you can enjoy a splendid panoramic view of the city, enclosed between the current Viale Poggi, via di San Salvatore, and via dei Bastioni.
The Ponte Vecchio, or Old Bridge, was the only medieval stone closed-spandrel segmental arch bridge across the Arno in Florence until 1218. The current bridge was rebuilt after a flood in 1345. During World War II it was the only bridge across the Arno that the fleeing Germans did not destroy. It is mostly full of tourists enjoying the view, musicians playing songs, artists making portraits and all sorts of entertainers can be found on this bridge.
The Baptistery of St. John is located in the heart of the city in the Piazza del Duomo, it is adjacent to the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, Florence's most famous landmark with its distinctive pastel-hued marble, tall bell tower and enormous dome designed by Brunelleschi. The baptistery sits in front like a welcoming beacon to the monumental piazza and church.
The Piazzale Michelangelo was built on the hills located south of the Florence's historic center following the design of the architect Giuseppe Poggi. In 1869 Florence was the capital of Italy in this period, the whole city underwent an intense urban renewal. The square, dedicated to the Renaissance sculptor Michelangelo, has bronze copies of some of his marble works found elsewhere in Florence: the David and the four allegories of the Medici Chapel of San Lorenzo. The monument was brought up b
Villa Bardini, formerly Villa Manadora, is located on the San Giorgio 2 coast in Florence. Today it is an exhibition center that hosts temporary exhibitions, the Capucci Museum and the Annigoni Museum. The garden of the villa is the spectacular Bardini garden, which can now be visited separately with the same ticket as the Boboli Gardens. Furthermore, there is the Bardinicontemporanea space always open with free admission, which offers exhibitions of contemporary art and visual art in combinatio
The Hospital of Innocents is a building located in Piazza Santissima Annunziata in Florence. The hospital was born thanks to a bequest of a thousand florins from the Prato merchant Francesco Datini to the Hospital of Santa Maria Nova to create a place of welcome for abandoned children. The term "hospital" derives from the ancient Florentine dialect, while the name should be understood as "hospital for abandoned children", referring to the biblical episode of the massacre of the innocents.