Attractions to explore nearby Museum of the Risorgimento
The Museum of the Risorgimento, located in the eighteenth-century Milanese Palazzo Moriggia, houses a collection of objects and artworks which illustrate the history of Italian unification from Napoleon's first Italian campaign of 1796 to the annexation of Rome in 1870. There is particular coverage of Milan’s part in this process, notably the 1848 uprising against Austrian rule known as the Five Days of Milan.
Palazzo Carignano, full name Palazzo Dei Principi di Carignano, is a historic building in the city center of Turin, a fine example of Piedmontese Baroque architecture. Together with Palazzo Reale and Palazzo Madama, it is part of the most important historical buildings of the city and, like these, it is part of the UNESCO Residenze Savoy serial site. It was the historic seat of the Subalpine Parliament and of the first Parliament of the Kingdom of Italy.
A museum in Torino is dedicated exclusively to Egyptian culture and art. Springing from the excavations completed in Egypt by the Italian Archeological Mission between 1900-1935, the collection counts more than 26,000 artifacts and is a scientific and academic resource on the topic. The museum hosts themed exhibits of special interest; for example, a recent special exhibit was about women in ancient Egyptian culture, in honor of National Women's Day. Each month offers various events.
This large rectangular esplanade is the true center of Turin. The elegance of the Piazza Castello, with its constant flow of trams, is a popular setting for locals to meet for drinks. This amazing spot host the Royal Palace, the castle in the middle named Palazzo Madama, the Teatro Regio where all the operas are performed, and many other important spots.
A part-medieval, part-baroque castle built in the 13th century on the site of the old Roman gate. It was once the home of two "Royal Ladies". The first, Christine of France, had the courtyard of the medieval castle covered to create a large assembly room. The second, Marie-Jeanne-Baptiste of Savoy-Nemours, died before her extensive rebuild was completed. Known for being the first Italian Senate, Palazzo Madama is home to a beautiful collection of Romanesque, Gothic, and Renaissant masterpieces
Piazza San Carlo is one of the most important squares in the historic center of Turin. Often nicknamed by the Turinese "the living room of the city", it is inserted within the road axis of via Roma, which connects it to piazza Castello and Piazza Carlo Felice. To the south, there is another small open space called piazza CLN. The square has other entrances to the north and to the south. It is also accessible by foot from the underground via the stairs that connect it to the underground parking
The Royal Palace of Turin is a building in Turin, Italy. It was the center of the court of the old Duchy of Savoy for almost two hundred years. The lavishly-decorated rooms feature 17th-century carved furniture, tapestries, paintings, and frescoes. Visitors can tour the first-floor royal apartments, ballroom, throne hall, gallery, and Royal Library, which displays a self-portrait of Leonardo da Vinci. The adjacent Royal Armory features one of the world’s largest collections of weapons.
One of the remarkable monuments in this area is home to the National Cinema Museum, where the vast collection of silver-screen memorabilia draws film buffs from around the world. This exhibition is a visual journey across the history of the moving image from the archeology of cinema to television. The exhibition is divided into various sections and presents rare artifacts, films, scene objects and sets, posters, reconstructions, and models.
The Mole Antonelliana is a monumental building in Turin, located in the historic center, symbol of the city and one of the symbols of Italy. The name derives from the fact that, in the past, it was the tallest brick building in the world, while its adjective derives from the architect who conceived it, Alessandro Antonelli. However, during the twentieth century, it underwent major renovations with reinforced concrete and steel beams, so it can no longer be considered a structure exclusively in
The Galleria Sabauda in Turin displays the art collections gathered by the House of Savoy. This gallery unites the collection of Eugene of Savoy with works from the Royal Palace of Turin, the picture gallery of the Savoy-Carignano, and works from the Palazzo Durazzo of Genoa. When the palace became the seat of the senators, they transferred the museum to the building of the Academy of Sciences, where was already the Egyptian Museum.
The Palatine Towers is an ancient Roman-medieval structure in Turin, Italy. The structure served as one of four Roman city gates, which allowed access from north to the cards Maximus, the typical second main street of a Roman town. They are located near the Duomo di Torino and Palazzo Reale. It represents the primary archaeological evidence of the city's Roman phase and is one of the best-preserved 1st-century BC Roman gateways in the world.
The Museum of Eastern Art is a recent reality among the few Italian institutions completely devoted to the artistic expressions of Asia. The museum contains one of the most important collections of Asian art in Italy. The collection of some 2200 works represents cultural and artistic traditions from across the Asian continent. It will be a new experience visiting this museum and gives information about the eastern arts.
Porta Palazzo is one of the five parts of the Aurora district of Turin. Its centerpiece is the octagonal Piazza Della Repubblica which, with its51 300 m², is the largest square in the city and hosts the largest outdoor market in Europe every day. The rest of the sub-district is between the Dora Riparia, Corso Regina Margherita, Corso Giulio Cesare, and Corso Regio Parco.
The church of Gran Madre di Dio is one of the most important Catholic churches in Turin. It is situated on the bank of the River Po, and connected to the city center by the Victor Emmanuel I Bridge. The church is reminiscent of the Roman Pantheon due to its architecture. Some city legends connect the church with the Holy Grail.
The Monte dei Cappuccini is a hill of 325 m above sea level , located in the city of Turin , about 200 meters from the shore right side of the Po , in the district Borgo Po . It is very close to the historic center , near the Vittorio Emanuele I bridge , which gives access to Piazza Vittorio Veneto . On it, stands the convent and the Baroque church of Santa Maria al Monte , entrusted to the Capuchin friars , hence the name. The hill also houses, in the south wing of the convent, the National Mo
One of the oldest museums in Italy, and it is devoted to art produced in the last two centuries. It was opened to the public in 1863, and it keeps over 40.000 pieces, among paintings, sculptures, installations, drawings, and engravings. Particularly important is the film and artistic videos collection, one of the most famous in Europe.
Parco del Valentino is the most famous and oldest public park in the city. It is certainly the best-known city park and has been taken as a symbol of the city like the Mole Antonelliana. In a splendid position, not far from the center, it is located along the left bank of the Po, between the monumental bridges Umberto I and Isabella, and in overlooking the hill.
The Castello del Valentino is an ancient Savoy residence, as well as a historic building in Turin located in the Valentino Park of the same name on the banks of the Po river . Owned by the State since 1850 and later assigned to the Polytechnic of Turin , it houses the headquarters of the Department of Architecture and the related three-year and master's degree courses.
Villa Della Regina, a former Savoy Royal residence perched on the hills of Turin. It was originally built by the House of Savoy in the 17th century. Built at the behest of Maurizio of Savoy - first cardinal and then, from 1641, Prince of Oneglia - and then passed to his wife Ludovica of Savoy, it was later chosen as a summer residence first by Anna Maria d 'Orleans and then from Polissena d'Assia, queens of Sardinia, hence the name by which it is known.
The Museo Nazionale dell’Automobile automobile museum in Turin is one of the world’s largest museums dedicated to the automotive industry and car making. Opened in 1960 and dedicated to Giovanni Agnelli, founder of FIAT. It displays a collection of over 200 iconic cars – produced in Italy, France, UK, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, and the United States – dating from 1854 onwards.