Attractions to explore nearby Museum of Ancient Art
The Museum of Ancient Art of Milan, located inside the Castello Sforzesco, is home to one of the most important collections of late antique, medieval and Renaissance sculptures and art objects in northern Italy. In fact, rich in over 2000 pieces exhibited in rooms adorned with frescoes from the Sforza and Spanish periods, including the Ducal Chapel, the museum houses works and masterpieces linked in particular to the history of the city and Lombardy, as well as works of art acquired over time fr
Sforzesco Castle was originally a fortress of the Visconti family, later became home to the mighty Sforza dynasty that ruled Milan Renaissance. Now it is a beautiful monument sheltering several specialized museums and traces of the city’s past. An oasis of art and culture. Its collections include those of the Museum of Antique Art, of the Museum of Musical Instruments, and of the Picture Gallery.
The Parco Sempione is a green area of the city of Milan. Built at the end of the nineteenth century on the area already occupied by the parade ground, it occupies an area of386 000 m², fully fenced with video surveillance. The name derives from Corso Sempione, the monumental road axis built in the Napoleonic age on the route of the historic Via del Seprio, with the new Sempione gate heir to the ancient Giovia gate.
The Civic Aquarium of Milan is one of the largest and oldest of its kind in Italy which was established in 1906. it hosts 36 pools filled with more than 100 species of fish, living in recreated environments ranging from Lombardy to Italy, to the Amazon. It also includes also a public library, with one of the most prestigious collections of marine biology publications in Italy.
The Milan Triennale, housed in the Palazzo dell'Arte, is an international cultural institution that produces exhibitions, conferences, and events on art, design, architecture, fashion, cinema, communication, and society. It organizes exhibitions of great visibility and attention such as those dedicated to contemporary art, to architects and designers of national and international fame, to the great stylists who have changed taste and customs, to social issues.
San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore is an old church that dates back to 1503. The church is often called "Sistine Chapel of Milan" due to its stunningly beautiful interior paintings. Literally, everywhere you look is covered with artwork. Built in the 16C, the exterior of this Benedictine monastic church is very plain. The main attraction of the monastery are frescoes, including a beautiful cycle of the 15th Century as well as wall paintings by Bernardino Luini.
The Gianni Brera civic arena, even just Arena, is a multipurpose sports facility in Milan. Inaugurated in 1807 as an amphitheater, in 1870 it became the Arena Civica after passing to the Milanese municipality. In 2002 the Arena was dedicated to the memory of Gianni Brera, journalist, and writer, who died ten years earlier. Today it mainly hosts football and rugby union games, concerts, and cultural events. The stadium can hold 18,000–30,000 spectators.
The Branca Tower, originally Torre Littoria, is a steel construction built-in 1933 on a project by the architect Giò Ponti and located inside the Sempione Park in Milan. With its 108.60 meters high, it is the tenth highest accessible structure in the city after the Unicredit Tower. The top of the tower is a panoramic point whose view, on a clear day, may encompass the Milan cityline as well as the Alps, the Apennines, and part of the Po Valley.
The Pinacoteca di Brera is a national gallery of ancient and modern art, located in the palace of the same name, one of the largest complexes in Milan with over 24,000 square meters of surface. The museum exhibits one of the most famous collections in Italy of painting, specializing in Venetian and Lombard painting, with important pieces from other schools. Moreover, thanks to donations, it offers an exhibition itinerary that ranges from prehistoric times to contemporary art, with masterpieces
“Arch of Peace”, is a triumphant arch located at Porta Sempione, one of Milan's many city gates. This 25m-high triumphal arch was situated at the northwestern edge of Parco Sempione. On the top of the Arch stands a statuary group in bronze depicting the “Chariot of Peace” flanked by the four “Victorias on Horseback”, while the facade shows the embodiments of the rivers Po, Ticino, Adda and Tagliamento.
The Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, situated in the heart of Milan, is an outstanding work of architecture, and an emblem within the Catholic tradition. The Church is one of Renaissance art's most important testimonies and a shining symbol of creative human genius. Duke of Milan Francesco I Sforza ordered the construction of a Dominican convent and church at the site of a prior chapel dedicated to the Marian devotion of St Mary of the Graces.
The Brera Botanical Garden is located in the centre of Milan, adjacent to the south facade of the historic building from which it takes its name. The garden hosts educational and research activities in the fields of science, history, art, and the promotion of cultural heritage, including through projects and collaborations with other institutions and museums. It offers schools a wide range of educational, scientific, and interdisciplinary itineraries.
The Museo Teatrale alla Scala is a theatrical museum and library attached to the Teatro alla Scala in Milan. It is also one of the most famous opera houses in the world. Many famous operas have had their first production in La Scala, such as Othello, Nabucco by Verdi or Madame Butterfly by Giacomo Puccini. The Theatre Museum contains a large collection of paintings, busts, costumes and several other objects related to the world of opera and theatre.
The Teatro Alla Scala, colloquially known as La Scala, is the main opera house in Milan. Considered among the most prestigious theaters in the world, for 242 years it has hosted the main artists in the international field of opera and classical music. The building, designed by Giuseppe Piermarini and inaugurated in 1778, was built on the ashes of the previous Ducal Theater. The theater complex is located in the square of the same name, flanked by the Casino Ricordi, home to the La Scala Theater
Piazza della Scala is a pedestrian central square of Milan connected to the main square of Milan, Piazza del Duomo, by the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II passage. The name of the square dates back to the church of Santa Maria della Scala, dating from 1381, which was once located here. The center of the square is marked by the monument of Leonardo da Vinci by sculptor Pietro Magni.
Piazza Mercanti is a square in Milan created as the center of city life in medieval times, later transformed into via Mercanti. Piazza Mercanti means, in everyday language, the square circumscribed by the Palazzo Della Ragione, the Casa dei Panigarola, and the Loggia degli Osii. In the 13th century, there were six entry points to the square, each associated to a specific trade, from sword blacksmiths to hat makers.
The Palazzo della Ragione was the ancient seat of city courts and the covered market of Padua. It was built starting from 1218 and raised in 1306 by Giovanni Degli Eremitani who gave it the characteristic roof in the shape of an overturned ship hull. The upper floor is occupied by the largest hanging room in the world, called the "Salone" with a wooden ceiling in the shape of a ship's hull. It is part of the Civic Museums of Padua. The lower floor houses the historic covered market of the city.
The Veneranda Biblioteca Ambrosiana is an ecclesiastical institution comprising a public library, a picture gallery, and an academy of studies, founded in 1607 by Cardinal Federico Borromeo, located in the municipality of Milan inside the Palazzo dell'Ambrosiana. Some major acquisitions of complete libraries were the manuscripts of the Benedictine monastery of Bobbio (1606) and the library of the Paduan Vincenzo Pinelli, whose more than 800 manuscripts filled 70 cases when they were sent to Mila
The Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio is a church in the centre of Milan, northern Italy. One of the most ancient churches in Milan, it was built by St. Ambrose in 379–386, in an area where numerous martyrs of the Roman persecutions had been buried. The first name of the church was in fact Basilica Martyrum. The monastery and church became a large landholder in northern Italy and into what is now the Swiss Canton of Ticino.
Palazzo Marino is a 16th-century palace located in Piazza Della Scala, in the center of Milan, Italy. It has been Milan's city hall since 9 September 1861. The palace has been the seat of the administration of the city of Milan since 1861. The building is named after Tommaso Marino, a rich Genoan merchant who commissioned the palace to make it his private home, although he died in bankruptcy. It became public property in 1781 when it was restored.
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II is an elegant nineteenth-century shopping arcade which houses some of the most luxurious boutiques in Milan. It is located between two of the main monuments in Milan: il Duomo and the Teatro alla Scala. It also contains some of the nice restaurants, including some of the oldest establishments of Milan. The massive Galleria makes for a stunning sight, and its enormous dimensions have made it an overnight sensation ever since it was opened to the people of Milan.