Attractions to explore nearby Basilica San Lorenzo Maggiore
The Basilica of San Lorenzo was established during the fourth century and is the oldest church in Milan which was dedicated to San Lorenzo and is built with enormous blocks that were taken from other Roman sites. One of the church's highlights is the Chapel of Saint Aquilino with its fourth-century Byzantine mosaics, adjoining the main church. In the center of the courtyard, Emporer Constantine stands in bronze, a tribute to his Edict of Milan in 313, which ended Christian persecution within th
The Veneranda Biblioteca Ambrosiana is an ecclesiastical institution comprising a public library, a picture gallery, and an academy of studies, founded in 1607 by Cardinal Federico Borromeo, located in the municipality of Milan inside the Palazzo dell'Ambrosiana. Some major acquisitions of complete libraries were the manuscripts of the Benedictine monastery of Bobbio (1606) and the library of the Paduan Vincenzo Pinelli, whose more than 800 manuscripts filled 70 cases when they were sent to Mila
The Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio is a church in the centre of Milan, northern Italy. One of the most ancient churches in Milan, it was built by St. Ambrose in 379–386, in an area where numerous martyrs of the Roman persecutions had been buried. The first name of the church was in fact Basilica Martyrum. The monastery and church became a large landholder in northern Italy and into what is now the Swiss Canton of Ticino.
The Velasca Tower is a skyscraper built in the 1950s by the BBPR architectural partnership, Milan, Italy. The tower is approximately 100 metres tall and has a peculiar and characteristic mushroom-like shape. The building responds to its prominent location near the Milan Cathedral in the city's historic center. It was one of the iconic buildings in this area which was also a famous gathering point too.
The Naviglio Grande is the first of the canals that make up the Milan canal system, the oldest and the most important. It was built in the years 1177-1257 and is fed by the river Ticino. The Naviglio Grande is about 50 km long and served as an export and import route. It was one of the largest medieval engineering projects, allowing development of commerce, transport and agriculture.
Naviglio Pavese is a waterway that flows from Milan to Pavia and that is part of the system of canals in Milan. It is 10.8 m wide at the bottom and 11.8 m above the water. Like all the other canals, it combined the irrigation function with that of a waterway. It was excavated starting from 1812 under the Napoleonic Kingdom of Italy and, after various events, inaugurated on 9 August 1819 under the Austrian kingdom of Lombardy-Veneto.
Piazza Mercanti is a square in Milan created as the center of city life in medieval times, later transformed into via Mercanti. Piazza Mercanti means, in everyday language, the square circumscribed by the Palazzo Della Ragione, the Casa dei Panigarola, and the Loggia degli Osii. In the 13th century, there were six entry points to the square, each associated to a specific trade, from sword blacksmiths to hat makers.
The Palazzo dell'Arengario is a building consisting of two twin buildings located in Piazza del Duomo in Milan. hardly you won't notice this 30's building and its art deco architecture. Several works of art from the 20th century, from futurism to Italian Arte Povera, are marvelously preserved in its rooms. In the 2000s, the palace was restored and adapted by Italo Rota and Fabio Fornasari to house the Museo del Novecento, a museum of twentieth-century art inaugurated in 2010, especially renowne
San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore is an old church that dates back to 1503. The church is often called "Sistine Chapel of Milan" due to its stunningly beautiful interior paintings. Literally, everywhere you look is covered with artwork. Built in the 16C, the exterior of this Benedictine monastic church is very plain. The main attraction of the monastery are frescoes, including a beautiful cycle of the 15th Century as well as wall paintings by Bernardino Luini.
The Palazzo della Ragione was the ancient seat of city courts and the covered market of Padua. It was built starting from 1218 and raised in 1306 by Giovanni Degli Eremitani who gave it the characteristic roof in the shape of an overturned ship hull. The upper floor is occupied by the largest hanging room in the world, called the "Salone" with a wooden ceiling in the shape of a ship's hull. It is part of the Civic Museums of Padua. The lower floor houses the historic covered market of the city.
Piazza del Duomo is the main square of Milan, its real geometric center and commercial for over seven centuries. It is the vital center of the city, a meeting point for the Milanese to celebrate important events and, together with the adjacent Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, an iconic place par excellence of the metropolis and a destination for visitors and tourists from all over the world.
The National Museum of Science and Technology "Leonardo da Vinci" is based in Milan; opened in 1953, with its total of 50,000 m² is the largest museum. It has the largest collection in the world of machine models made from drawings by Leonardo da Vinci. Its collections count 16,000 historical assets and include representative evidence of the history of Italian science, technology, and industry from the 19th century to the present day. In its 14 interactive workshops, activities are carried out
The cathedral took nearly six centuries to complete. It is the largest church in Italy, the third-largest in Europe and the fifth-largest in the world. The roof is open to tourists for a fee, which allows many a close-up view of some spectacular sculpture that would otherwise be unappreciated.
Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II is an elegant nineteenth-century shopping arcade which houses some of the most luxurious boutiques in Milan. It is located between two of the main monuments in Milan: il Duomo and the Teatro alla Scala. It also contains some of the nice restaurants, including some of the oldest establishments of Milan. The massive Galleria makes for a stunning sight, and its enormous dimensions have made it an overnight sensation ever since it was opened to the people of Milan.
Piazza della Scala is a pedestrian central square of Milan connected to the main square of Milan, Piazza del Duomo, by the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II passage. The name of the square dates back to the church of Santa Maria della Scala, dating from 1381, which was once located here. The center of the square is marked by the monument of Leonardo da Vinci by sculptor Pietro Magni.
The Museo Teatrale alla Scala is a theatrical museum and library attached to the Teatro alla Scala in Milan. It is also one of the most famous opera houses in the world. Many famous operas have had their first production in La Scala, such as Othello, Nabucco by Verdi or Madame Butterfly by Giacomo Puccini. The Theatre Museum contains a large collection of paintings, busts, costumes and several other objects related to the world of opera and theatre.
Palazzo Marino is a 16th-century palace located in Piazza Della Scala, in the center of Milan, Italy. It has been Milan's city hall since 9 September 1861. The palace has been the seat of the administration of the city of Milan since 1861. The building is named after Tommaso Marino, a rich Genoan merchant who commissioned the palace to make it his private home, although he died in bankruptcy. It became public property in 1781 when it was restored.
The church of San Bernardino alle Ossa is a church in Milan, located in Piazza Santo Stefano. Also mentioned in the past as San Bernardino ai Morti, the church is known for its ossuary, whose walls are mostly covered with bones to form real decorations. The ossuary was considered a sinister but popular place, where the interior walls were decorated with human bones and skulls. It is very similar to the church in Rome called Santa Maria della Concezione dei Cappuccini.
The Teatro Alla Scala, colloquially known as La Scala, is the main opera house in Milan. Considered among the most prestigious theaters in the world, for 242 years it has hosted the main artists in the international field of opera and classical music. The building, designed by Giuseppe Piermarini and inaugurated in 1778, was built on the ashes of the previous Ducal Theater. The theater complex is located in the square of the same name, flanked by the Casino Ricordi, home to the La Scala Theater
The Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, situated in the heart of Milan, is an outstanding work of architecture, and an emblem within the Catholic tradition. The Church is one of Renaissance art's most important testimonies and a shining symbol of creative human genius. Duke of Milan Francesco I Sforza ordered the construction of a Dominican convent and church at the site of a prior chapel dedicated to the Marian devotion of St Mary of the Graces.