20 Attractions to Explore Near Gnandstein Castle
Gnandstein Castle sitting high on a rock spur towering over the place of the same name. It is Saxony’s best-preserved Romanesque fortification. Its imposing shielding wall with the ward in front of it has visitors pause in awe. The castle is considered the best-preserved fortress in Saxony. During the Thirty Years' War, the castle was attacked by Swedish troops and partly destroyed. Shortly before the end of the war, the south wing burned down after being struck by lightning.
The Schloss Altenburg is a former residence of the Dukes of Saxe-Altenburg. It is located in the center of Altenburg in Thuringia. It houses the exhibition areas of the Ducal Apartments 17./18. Century, 19./20. A century and the Playing Card Museum. The castle church with the famous consolation organ and a building history since the late Gothic as well as the late medieval tower complex are further sights.
Museum Burg Posterstein is a hilltop castle on a rocky outcrop on the right bank of sprat in Posterstein in Altenburger Land in Thuringia. The hilltop castle emerged from a small ministerial castle from the late 12th century that was built over in the Renaissance period. It now houses a history museum with changing exhibitions & events.
The Zwenkauer See is an artificially created lake approx. 12 km south of Leipzig city center in the heart of the Leipzig New Lakeland. It emerged from a remaining open-pit mine, which was released for tourist use on May 9, 2015. With an area of 9.7 km² and a circumference of 22 km, the Zwenkau Lake is the largest lake in the Leipzig New Lakeland.
A monument to the battle of Leipzig, constructed in 1913. It is the largest war monument in Europe with a height of 91 meters, the monument has an observation platform that offers nice views of the city, and a museum about the Leipzig battle.
The Leipzig Panometer is a former gasometer, in 2003 it turned into a visual panorama. It takes you on a journey into the real world photographed to be a hundred times its true size, making them the largest such pictures in the world.
The Rudelsburg is a hilltop castle above Saaleck in the Burgenland district in Saxony-Anhalt. It is about 85 meters above the south bank of the Saale on a rocky ridge made of shell limestone. The castle was probably built by the bishops of Naumburg in the High Middle Ages to secure trade routes such as the Via Regia with the Saale bridge in Bad Kösen. When it was first mentioned in 1171, it was owned by the Naumburg ministerials.
A botanical garden in Leipzig, Saxony, Germany. Established in 1542, it is one of the oldest botanical gardens in the world, the garden is maintained by the University of Leipzig, and since 1857 the garden was cultivated more than 10,000 species, of which 4,500 were grown in greenhouses.
St. Nicholas Church is one of the largest churches in Saxony, located in Leipzig, Germany. The church was originally built in a Romanesque style, then it transformed into a Gothic hall church. The church is famed as a starting point of Monday Demonstrations ,a peaceful revolution aimed at reunifying Germany.
Museum der Bildenden Künste is a fine art museum in Leipzig, Saxony, Germany. Established in 1848, it offers a world-class collection of artworks from the late middle ages to the present day. It exhibits about 3500 paintings and over 50,000 graphic sheets.
The Otto-Dix-Haus in Gera is the birth house of the painter Otto Dix , it is at Mohrenplatz 4. The listed building became an art museum in 1991, for the 100th birthday of Otto Dix, which exhibits on two floors. Its permanent exhibition includes drawings, oil paintings and printed graphics from its own holdings.
Zoo Leipzig is amongst the best zoos in the world, with an area of 27 hectares the zoo houses around 850 species. It also has bred more than 2,000 lions, 250 rare Siberian tigers, and other carnivores like bears. The zoo also has large glasshouse contains tropical plants and approximately 17,000 plants.
The Kulkwitzer See is a lake in the Central German Lake District, which emerged from two former brown coal opencast mining areas southwest of Leipzig. From 1864 coal was mined here, initially underground and from 1937 in open-cast mining. The two remaining open pit holes were flooded from 1963 and opened as a recreational area in 1973.
The Mylau Castle is a fortification on a rock spur in Mylau in the Saxon Vogtland. It is one of the best-preserved medieval castles in Saxony and has been a listed building since 1980. "Not just a castle" - under this motto, evidence from the early industrial history of Saxony is also presented at Mylau Castle.
The Göltzschtalbrücke in the Saxon Vogtland district is the largest brick bridge in the world. The viaduct with a total of 98 sheets is regarded as landmarks of the Vogt contiguous and spans two tracks on the railway yard Leipzig the valley of Göltzsch between locations Reichenbach in Vogt country and Netzsckau. Göltzsch Viaduct is also the name of a much smaller viaduct built-in 1938 where Bundesautobahn 72 crosses the Göltzsch River. It sits about 10 km due southeast near the village of Weis
Naumburger Dom is the former cathedral of the Naumburg diocese and largely dates from the first half of the 13th century. He is one of the most important buildings of the late Romanesque in Saxony-Anhalt, is a station on the Romanesque Road and since 2018 UNESCO - World Heritage Site. The Naumburg Cathedral is a so-called double choir - d. H. with a choir on both narrow sides.
The Geiseltalsee is a residual open pit lake in southern Saxony-Anhalt. The lake was created in the course of recultivation measures in the former Geiseltal lignite mining area northeast of Müelte. With almost 19 square kilometers, it is the largest artificial lake in Germany, is one of the ten most water-rich lakes in Germany, and is the largest body of water in the Central German Lake District. Together with other lakes to the southeast, it forms the Geiseltaler lake complex.
The Zeulenroda dam was built from 1968 to 1975 and is colloquially known as the Zeulenrodaer Meer . It is operated by the Thuringian long-distance water supply . The inauguration was in 1977. It is dammed by a 307 m long and almost 35 m high rock embankment made of diabase bulk material. An inclined clay plug as an inner seal, which is up to 12 m thick and extends 5.5 m into the subsoil, seals the around 360,000 m³ of bulk material.
The Neuenbürg Castle is located in Baden-Wuerttemberg in the region Northern Black Forest , between Karlsruhe and Stuttgart . Its location on a mountain of the Enz above the city of Neuenbürg is striking. The name Neuenburg derives from German for "new castle". From 1656 until 1746 it was a secondary residence of the Dukes of Saxe-Weissenfels.
The Rudelsburg is a hilltop castle above Saaleck in the Burgenland district in Saxony-Anhalt. It is about 85 meters above the south bank of the Saale on a rocky ridge made of shell limestone. The castle was probably built by the bishops of Naumburg in the High Middle Ages to secure trade routes such as the Via Regia with the Saale bridge in Bad Kösen. At times the castle served as a residence for various noble families until it was destroyed in the Thirty Years War and then fell into disrepair.
The Drachenhöhle Syrau is a stalactite cave in Syrau in Saxony. It invites you into the subterranean world of bizarre rock shapes. Quarry master Ludwig Undeutsch discovered the cave by chance in 1928 while working on the Syrau limestone quarry. The 15 meter deep stalactite cave offers visitors the opportunity to marvel at fascinating rock and clay formations - a special feature of the roof cave - as well as extraordinary sintered forms during a 40-minute tour.