Schloß 2-4, 04600 Altenburg, Germany
About Schloss Altenburg
The Schloss Altenburg is a former residence of the Dukes of Saxe-Altenburg. It is located in the center of Altenburg in Thuringia. It houses the exhibition areas of the Ducal Apartments 17./18. Century, 19./20. A century and the Playing Card Museum. The castle church with the famous consolation organ and a building history since the late Gothic as well as the late medieval tower complex are further sights.
Attractions near Schloss Altenburg
Gnandstein Castle sitting high on a rock spur towering over the place of the same name. It is Saxony’s best-preserved Romanesque fortification. Its imposing shielding wall with the ward in front of it has visitors pause in awe. The castle is considered the best-preserved fortress in Saxony. During the Thirty Years' War, the castle was attacked by Swedish troops and partly destroyed. Shortly before the end of the war, the south wing burned down after being struck by lightning.
Museum Burg Posterstein is a hilltop castle on a rocky outcrop on the right bank of sprat in Posterstein in Altenburger Land in Thuringia. The hilltop castle emerged from a small ministerial castle from the late 12th century that was built over in the Renaissance period. It now houses a history museum with changing exhibitions & events.
The Rudelsburg is a hilltop castle above Saaleck in the Burgenland district in Saxony-Anhalt. It is about 85 meters above the south bank of the Saale on a rocky ridge made of shell limestone. The castle was probably built by the bishops of Naumburg in the High Middle Ages to secure trade routes such as the Via Regia with the Saale bridge in Bad Kösen. When it was first mentioned in 1171, it was owned by the Naumburg ministerials.
The Otto-Dix-Haus in Gera is the birth house of the painter Otto Dix , it is at Mohrenplatz 4. The listed building became an art museum in 1991, for the 100th birthday of Otto Dix, which exhibits on two floors. Its permanent exhibition includes drawings, oil paintings and printed graphics from its own holdings.
The Zwenkauer See is an artificially created lake approx. 12 km south of Leipzig city center in the heart of the Leipzig New Lakeland. It emerged from a remaining open-pit mine, which was released for tourist use on May 9, 2015. With an area of 9.7 km² and a circumference of 22 km, the Zwenkau Lake is the largest lake in the Leipzig New Lakeland.
A monument to the battle of Leipzig, constructed in 1913. It is the largest war monument in Europe with a height of 91 meters, the monument has an observation platform that offers nice views of the city, and a museum about the Leipzig battle.
Where is Schloss Altenburg
Discover more attractions in Thuringia, where Schloss Altenburg is located