208 Old Ruins to explore in United Kingdom
The United Kingdom consists of four constituent countries: England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. It is the sixth-largest economy by nominal GDP and ninth-largest economy by purchasing power parity. It has a high-income economy and has a very high Human Development Index rating, ranking 14th in the world. It was the world's first industrialised country and the world's foremost power during the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Abbey Pumping Station is Leicester’s Industrial Museum, displaying Leicester’s very varied Industrial, Technological and Scientific heritage. Situated adjacent to the National Space Centre, the two attractions tell the story of over 200 years of science and technology from the early days of steam and industry to the space exploration of today. With four working steam-powered beam engines from its time as a sewage pumping station, it also houses exhibits for transport, public health, light and o
A fine exmaple of a late 15th century tower-house on the L-plan. It contains four storeys and a garret; the walls are of coursed rubble. The ashlar corbelled parapet and angle turrets are of 16th c date, as are the crow-stepped gables and chimney stacks. The castle was built on the lands of the Auchenlecks of that Ilk. In the early 18th century it belonged to a family of Reids, who forfeited the castle in 1746 because of their activities as Jacobites. It has not been occupied since 1760, when a
Auldbar Castle, was a 16th-century tower house, located 2 miles southwest of Brechin, in Angus, Scotland. IT was owned by the Crammond family since the 13th century before it was sold to John Lyon, 8th Lord Glamis in 1575. His son Sir Thomas Lyon served as Treasurer of Scotland from 1585 to 1595, and built the castle in the later 16th century. The property was subsequently owned by the Sinclair family, and then the Young family
The Antonine Wall, known to the Romans as Vallum Antonini, was a turf fortification on stone foundations, built by the Romans across what is now the Central Belt of Scotland, between the Firth of Forth and the Firth of Clyde. Built some twenty years after Hadrian's Wall to the south, and intended to supersede it, while it was garrisoned it was the northernmost frontier barrier of the Roman Empire. It spanned approximately 63 kilometres and was about 3 metres high and 5 metres wide.
Arbroath Abbey, in the Scottish town of Arbroath, was founded in 1178 by King William the Lion for a group of Tironensian Benedictine monks from Kelso Abbey. It was consecrated in 1197 with a dedication to the deceased Saint Thomas Becket, whom the king had met at the English court. It was William's only personal foundation — he was buried before the high altar of the church in 1214. The Abbey is cared for by Historic Environment Scotland and is open to the public throughout the year. The distin
Ardestie Earth Houseis an example of an earth house or souterrain, ancient underground structures common to the British Isles and Brittany. This is one of the largest and most complex examples of its kind in Scotland. It was accidentally discovered during ploughing in 1949. Subsequent excavations during the following two years also revealed about eight associated stone dwellings at ground level.
Ardvreck Castle is a ruined castle dating from the 16th century which stands on a rocky promontory jutting out into lake Assynt in Sutherland, Scotland. The castle was built in about 1590, Ardvreck is famous as the place where Montrose- viceroy and captain general of Scotland was handed over in 1650 to the Covenanter forces by MacLeod, Laird of Assynt.
Arthur's Stone is an atmospheric Neolithic burial chamber made of great stone slabs, set in the hills above Herefordshire's Golden Valley. It is over 5,000 years old. Today only the large stones of the inner chamber remain, though these were once covered by a long earthen mound.
Arundel Castle is a restored and remodeled medieval castle in Arundel, West Sussex, England. It was established by Roger de Montgomery on Christmas Day 1067. Roger became the first to hold the earldom of Arundel by the graces of William the Conqueror. The castle was damaged in the English Civil War and then restored in the 18th and 19th centuries by Charles Howard the 11th Duke of Norfolk. It was one of the iconic attractions in this area and also attracts a lot of tourists here.
Auchincloigh Castle is a ruined fortification near the Burnton Burn, lying within the feudal lands of the Craufurd Clan, situated in the Parish of Ochiltree, East Ayrshire, Scotland. The monument consists of the remains of a medieval tower house situated 100m E of Auchencloigh Farm.The fragmentary remains consist of several massive sections of lime- bonded whinstone rubble walling. The building appears to have been rectangular and of considerable strength
A finest example of an eighteenth century country villa to survive in Scotland. Once diarist James Boswell’s family seat, this grand 18th-century country house has its own grounds, river, ice-house and grotto. The large dining room and its elaborate plasterwork makes any meal special while the library lends itself to conversation and contemplation, just as it did for James Boswell and Dr Johnson.
Bachelors' Club is a National Trust Property where you can discover more about Robert Burns’s formative years in an authentically restored attraction. In this 17th-century thatched house, Robert Burns and friends formed a debating club in 1780. You can see where Burns and his friends gathered to debate the big issues of the day!
Balintore Castle is an A-listed shooting lodge in a remote highland glen, now undergoing restoration after 50 years of dereliction. This beautiful castle occupies an elevated site in moorland above Balintore village, a few miles north of the Loch of Lintrathen, near Kirriemuir, Angus. A tower house named Balintor existed on the site in the late 16th century, according to Timothy Pont's maps.
The ruins of Balmerino Abbey stand in a beautifully tranquil corner of northern Fife close to the south bank of the River Tay and some five miles south west of the Tay Road Bridge. It was founded in 1227 to 1229 by monks from Melrose Abbey with the patronage of Ermengarde de Beaumont and King Alexander II of Scotland. In combination with several centuries of plundering for building stone the entire main abbey is absent and only the smaller support structures to the north survive, most notable of
Balvaird Castle is perched on a hilltop overlooking the A912 as it makes its way over the eastern arm of the Ochil Hills, about a mile south of junction with the better known road leading through Glen Farg. Its location falls short of the sheer rocky impregnability of a Stirling Castle, but as a statement of dominance and control it still takes some beating.
A majestic and beautiful castle which was set on a high rock above the River Tees. It sits on the fringe of an attractive working market town also known as ‘Barney’ so there is plenty to do for families on a day out. The castle, an English Heritage property, was named after its 12th Century founder, Bernard de Balliol, and was later developed by Richard III whose boar emblem is carved above a window in the inner ward.
The Barony A Frame is a preserved headgear in East Ayrshire, Scotland, located 2 kilometres west of Auchinleck. It was built in 1954 as part of the modernisation of the Barony Colliery, which had been opened in 1907. It is the last remaining example of its type in Britain, and was restored in 2007 by the Barony A Frame Trust. Over £1 million was spent refurbishing the structure, including funding from Historic Scotland and the Heritage Lottery Fund. The A-frame was reopened by Prince Charles, th
Barr Castle, built in the early 16th century, is a simple rectangle on plan, measuring about 35 1/2ft E-W by 26ft transversely and rises to four storeys beneath the parapet with a garret above. It passed into the hands of the Hamiltons of Ferguslie at the end of the 16th century. They retained the castle until the late 18th century, when they sold and abandoned it for a new mansion. The castle is protected as a scheduled monument.
Barr Castle is located near the village of Lochwinnoch. The castle was a four storey tower house, with the main hall was on the first floor, accessed via a turnpike stair. The chambers were in the upper floors. The castle is now in ruins, and the gable ends of the castle have collapsed. There is little remaining of the courtyard.