28 Lighthouses to explore in United Kingdom
The United Kingdom consists of four constituent countries: England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. It is the sixth-largest economy by nominal GDP and ninth-largest economy by purchasing power parity. It has a high-income economy and has a very high Human Development Index rating, ranking 14th in the world. It was the world's first industrialised country and the world's foremost power during the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Beachy Head Lighthouse was built by Trinity House in 1902 to guide passing vessels along the cliffs marking the seaward termination of the Sussex Downs. It is 43 m in height and became operational in October 1902. It was the last traditional-style 'rock tower' to be built by Trinity House.
The Burnham-on-Sea Low Lighthouse was constructed in 1832 by Joseph Nelson to guide ships through the Bristol Channel. It is a Grade II listed building and stands on the foreshore. Now, the lighthouse does more than guide ships through the channel’s wayward waters. It’s also a beacon for beach walkers, too.
Cape Wrath is the most north-westerly point in mainland Britain. The cape is separated from the rest of the mainland by the Kyle of Durness inlet and consists of 107 square miles (280 square kilometres) of moorland wilderness known as the Parph. The first road was built in 1828 by the lighthouse commission across the Parph/Durness. This road connects a passenger ferry that crosses the Kyle of Durness with the buildings on the peninsula.
Chanonry Point lies at the end of Chanonry Ness, a spit of land extending into the Moray Firth. It is one of the best spots in the UK to view bottlenose dolphins from the land. The dolphins are often visible off Chanonry point, particularly on an incoming tide when they play and fish in the strong currents. An active lighthouse is also situated at the tip of the point.
Flamborough Head Lighthouse is an active lighthouse located at Flamborough. The current lighthouse was built in 1806 and acts as a waypoint for deep sea vessels and coastal traffic as well as marking the Flamborough Headland for vessels heading for the ports of Scarborough and Bridlington.
Godrevy Lighthouse was built by Trinity House in 1859 marking a dangerous reef off St. Ives called the Stones; the light was moved to an adjacent steel structure in 2012. Standing approximately 300 meters off Godrevy Head, it marks the Stones reef, which has been a hazard to shipping for centuries.
Happisburgh Lighthouse is the oldest working light in East Anglia, and the only independently run lighthouse in Great Britain, Built in 1790. Visitors can find out about the history and operation of the lighthouse, and climb the 112 steps to view the stunning views from the lantern.
Killantringan Lighthouse is a lighthouse located near Portpatrick in Dumfries and Galloway, south-west Scotland. The light came into activity in 1900, and filled in as a waypoint in the North Channel of the Irish Sea. The name Killantringan is gotten from 'Cill shaint Ringain' St Ringan's church; Ringan is a medieval iety of Ninian. The beacon is ensured as a classification B recorded building.
The Lizard Lighthouse is Cornwall’s most southerly land lighthouse. This real Lighthouse has been shining a light for over 260 years, guiding ships safely home. It became the first electrically powered lighthouse before being fully automated in 1998 with a 26 mile light range and an automatic 3 mile fog signal if conditions are misty.
The Longstone Lighthouse is situated on Longstone Rock, one of the Outer Staple Islands. It was built by Trinity House in 1826 on the Longstone Rock for the welfare of shipping off the Northumberland coast. The lighthouse is best known for the 1838 wreck of the Forfarshire and the role of Grace Darling, the lighthouse keeper's daughter, in rescuing survivors.
Souter Lighthouse is a lighthouse located in the village of Marsden in South Shields, Tyne & Wear, England. Souter was the first lighthouse in the world to be actually designed and built specifically to use alternating electric current, the most advanced lighthouse technology of its day. First lit in the 1870s, Souter was described at the time as 'without doubt one of the most powerful lights in the world'.
New Brighton Lighthouse is a decommissioned lighthouse situated at the confluence of the River Mersey and Liverpool Bay on an outcrop off New Brighton known locally as Perch Rock. The tower rises 90ft above the rock, the first half of which is solid. To gain access when the tide is out a ladder is needed to reach the first of the 15 iron rungs built in to the side of the tower that lead up to the door.
Pladda is home to an attractive lighthouse that was first lit in October 1790 and joined the lights on the Mull of Kintyre, Cumbrae in the Firth of Clyde, and Copeland light on the Irish coast. To allow Mariners to distinguish it from the other lights, Pladda had to show a lower light from a small lantern 20 feet below the original one – an arrangement that was soon made permanent and was to operate for more than 100 years.
Portland Bill Lighthouse is located on the Southerly tip of the Isle of Portland, 1.2 miles south of the village of Easton. Active since 1906, It replaced the old lower and higher lighthouses in warning coastal traffic clear of the bill, acting as a way mark of the English channel, and safely guiding vessels heading to portland and Weymouth harbors.
Scurdie Ness Lighthouse is located on the headland and has also been referred to as Montroseness Lighthouse. In 1867 the seafaring community of Ferryden made representations to the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses to have a light established on Montrose Point due to the numerous shipwrecks and great loss of life along that coast. There are 11 wrecks recorded around the mouth of the estuary.
South Foreland Lighthouse is a Victorian lighthouse on the South Foreland in St. Margaret's Bay, Dover, Kent, England, used to warn ships approaching the nearby Goodwin Sands. Built-in 1843, it went out of service in 1988 and is currently owned by the National Trust. It is notable as having been the first lighthouse to use an electric light, and was the site chosen by Guglielmo Marconi for his pioneering experiments in wireless radio transmissions.
Southerness lighthouse is located at the village of Southerness in South West Scotland. It is at present the second oldest lighthouse in Scotland. The 18m tall lighthouse sits overlooking the Solway Firth, towards the Lake District. Although the lighthouse is no longer in operation, it is an interesting landmark in a beautiful location that deserves to be put on any travel itinerary. The lighthouse is often open to the public in high season, where views from the top are said to be well worth the