Top 52 attractions to explore in Bavaria
Bavaria has a unique culture, largely because of the state's former Catholic majority and conservative traditions. Bavarians have traditionally been proud of their culture, which includes a language, cuisine, architecture, and festivals. The state also has the second-largest economy among the German states by GDP.
Raising 1,452 m above sea level, it is the second highest summit in the Bavarian Forest after the Großer Arber. It has a rocky summit and in winter, the mountain can often only be climbed with touring skis or snowshoes because of the metre-high snow.
A complex of royal buildings on Herreninsel, the largest island in the Chiemsee lake. The island, formerly the site of an Augustinian monastery, was purchased by King Ludwig II of Bavaria in 1873. The king converted the premises into a residence, known as the Old Palace (Altes Schloss). From 1878 onwards, he had the New Herrenchiemsee Palace (Neues Schloss) erected, based on the model of Palace of Versailles. It was the largest, but also the last of his building projects, and remained incomplete
The childhood residence of King Ludwig II of Bavaria, built by his father King Maximilian II of Bavaria. It is located in the German village of Hohenschwangau. Hohenschwangau was the official summer and hunting residence of Maximilian, his wife Marie of Prussia, and their two sons Ludwig (the later King Ludwig II of Bavaria) and Otto (the later King Otto I of Bavaria).
A group of medieval fortified buildings on a sandstone ridge dominating the historical center of Nuremberg. The castle, together with the city walls, is considered to be one of Europe's most formidable medieval fortifications. It represented the power and importance of the Holy Roman Empire and the role of the Imperial City of Nuremberg.
The former royal palace of the Wittelsbach monarchs of Bavaria. It is the largest city palace in Germany and is open to visitors for its architecture, room decorations, and displays from the former royal collections. The complex of buildings contains ten courtyards and displays 130 rooms.
Six Nazi party rallies were held there between 1933 and 1938 with up to 150,000 people attending the ralies. After 1945 the city of Nuremberg redesigned the area into a park. All buildings from the NS era were demolished. Only the half-round of the terraces of the main grandstand is recognizable.
19th-century Romanesque Revival palace on a rugged hill above the village of Hohenschwangau. The palace was commissioned by Ludwig II, King of Bavaria as a retreat and in honor of the German composer Richard Wagner. The castle was intended as a home for the king until he died in 1886. It was open to the public shortly after his death. The Castle consists of several individual structures that were erected over a length of 150 meters on top of a cliff ridge. The elongate building is furnished with
Combined with the adjacent Nymphenburg Palace Park, it constitutes one of the premier royal palaces of Europe. Its frontal width of 632 m (2,073 ft) (north-south axis) even surpasses Versailles Palace in France. It served as the main summer residence for the former rulers of Bavaria of the House of Wittelsbach. Nymphenburg is open to the public but also continues to be a home and chancery for the head of the House of Wittelsbach.
A 12th-century bridge across the Danube linking the Old Town with Stadtamhof. For more than 800 years, until the 1930s, it was the city's only bridge across the river. The bridge has historically caused problems for traffic on the Danube. It causes strong currents which required upstream shipping with insufficient power to be towed past it until 1916.
Located in the Olympic Park, Munich, it has an overall height of 291 m (955 ft) and a weight of 52,500 tons. At a height of 190 m (620 ft) there is an observation platform as well as a small rock and roll museum housing various memorabilia. At a height of 182 m (597 ft) there is a revolving restaurant, which seats 230 people.
A medieval church of the former free imperial city of Nuremberg, one of the most prominent churches of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bavaria. The building and furnishing of the church was cared of by the city council and by wealthy citizens. The west facade, dominated by the two towers is richly articulated, reflecting the wealth of the Nuremberg citizens.
Consecrated in 1597, it is the largest Renaissance church north of the Alps. The style of the building had an enormous influence on Southern German early Baroque architecture. The crypt contains among others the tombs of many members of the Wittelsbach dynasty.
Map of attractions in Bavaria