Top 95 attractions to explore in Veneto
The area was a part of the Roman Empire until the 5th century AD. Although being a heavily industrialised region, tourism is one of its main economic resources; one-fifth of Italy's foreign tourism gravitates towards Veneto, which is the first region in Italy in terms of tourist presence, attracting over 60 million visitors every year, second after Emilia-Romagna in terms of hotel industry structures.
The Civetta is a mountain group belonging to the Zoldo Dolomites, located in the province of Belluno, which separates the Val di Zoldo from the Agordino, framing the characteristic village of Alleghe. In the mountaineering environment, it is called "the wall of the walls", on which some very famous routes run, including the Solleder-Lettembauer, the Philip-Flamm, the via di 5 di Valmadrera and other itineraries of high mountaineering difficulty.
The cathedral of Verona, whose official name is the cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta but also known as the cathedral of Santa Maria Matricolare, from the name of the ancient early Christian church, is the main place of Catholic worship in the city of Verona, the mother church of the homonymous diocese. It is part of an articulated architectural complex, which also includes the Palazzo del Vescovado, the cloister of the Canons, the chapter library, the baptistery of San Giovanni in Fonte.
The bridge of the Constitution is the bridge that crosses the Grand Canal of Venice between Piazzale Roma and the Venezia Santa railway station Lucia. The bridge, designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava and built using mainly steel and glass, was opened to pedestrian traffic on the night of 11 September 2008. Tourists and locals in Venice now refer to it as the Calatrava Bridge.
The Monte Cristallo is a mountain in the Italian Dolomites. 3,221 m s.lm is the maximum elevation of the Crystal group in Ampezzane Dolomite. It is located in Veneto. It is one of the highest, most majestic, and most famous mountains of all the Ampezzo and Cadore Dolomites. It closes the Ampezzo basin to the north, dividing it from the surrounding valleys. A cable lift system starts from Rio Gere in Val Begontina, first a lift to Rifugio Son Forca at the upper end of Val Padeon.
A dazzling pink and white marble design and has been described - fairly accurately - as an oversized wedding cake. Much of the present building dates from the 15th century – although an earlier building on the spot may date back to the 9th century - and has been rebuilt and added on to several times. The palace was the residence of the Doge of Venice, the supreme authority of the former Republic. It was built in 1340, and extended and modified in the following centuries. It became a museum in 19
The Falzàrego Pass is an Alpine pass in the Veneto region, in the province of Belluno, located a few kilometers south of the border with Trentino-Alto Adige, between Lagazuoi and Sass de Stria, which connects the upper Agordino with Cortina d'Ampezzo via the state road 48 of the Dolomites. Through the Valparola pass, one of the main communication arteries of the Dolomites, which is located immediately to the north, also connects with the Val Badia.
The Querini Stampalia Foundation is a cultural foundation of Venice based in Palazzo Querini Stampalia. Born in 1869 by the will of NH Giovanni Querini Stampalia, who, who died without direct heirs, decided to leave all his assets for the creation of an institution to which he entrusted the task of "promoting the cult of good studies and useful disciplines". This is still the mission of the Foundation today, which preserves the patrimony of the noble Venetian family.
The fort of Bard is a fortified complex that was rebuilt in the 19th century by the House of Savoy on the rock overlooking the village of Bard, in the Aosta Valley. After a long period of abandonment, the fort has been totally restored with interventions inspired by conservative recovery: it was opened to visitors in January 2006. It currently hosts exhibitions of ancient, modern, contemporary art and photography.
The Palazzo Fortuny is a palazzo gothic of Venice located in the district of San Marco. It takes its name from the last owner, the artist Mariano Fortuny y Madrazo, and is home to the homonymous museum. Today the museum is part of the Venice Civic Museums Foundation. Previously, the building was known as Palazzo Pesaro degli Orfei. The palace became for a time the seat of the Orfei Philharmonic Academy, hence the name Palazzo Pesaro degli Orfei, with which it was later known.
One of the most prestigious late Gothic palaces in Venice gathers up the important art collection of the Baron Giorgio Franchetti (1865-1927), who in 1916 donated his collections and the building itself to the Italian State, after having made it magnificent as in the past with some restorations. The inner courtyard mosaic was designed by the Baron himself. His grandson helped further his wish, stated in 1916, to make the house and his collection a museum.
The Galleria dell'Accademia in Florence is an Italian state museum, located in via Ricasoli together with the Academy of fine arts. The gallery exhibits the largest number of Michelangelo's sculptures in the world, including the famous David. Inside the museum, there are also other sections, including the largest and most important collection in the world of pictorial works with a gold background, and the Museum of musical instruments, where many artifacts belonging to the historical collection
Giardini Della Biennale is an area of parkland in the historic city of Venice which hosts the Venice Biennale Art Festival. The traditional site of La Biennale Art Exhibitions since the first edition in 1895, the Giardini rise to the eastern edge of Venice and were made by Napoleon at the beginning of the nineteenth century. The gardens are also famous for the many cats which run wild in the vicinity and for some of the sculptures such as the statue of Garibaldi situated at the entrance.
The Giau pass is an alpine pass in the Dolomites, located at 2236 m in the province of Belluno between the Val Boite and the Val Cordevole, which connects the municipalities of Colle Santa Lucia and Selva di Cadore with Cortina d'Ampezzo. It is one of the legendary passes of the Giro d'Italia, especially from the side of Colle Santa Lucia, for its hardness and its constancy.
Giudecca was a beautiful island area characterized by large palazzos with gardens. In the early 20th century, it evolved into an industrial zone with shipyards, factories, and even a film studio. It lies immediately south of the central islands of Venice. Even though the island is a neighborhood of Venice, it is still quite different from the more popular part of the city and is not yet as crowded with tourists as Venice is.
The Giusti palace and garden are located in the homonymous street in Verona, near the center and a few tens of meters from Piazza Isolo. The palace was built in the 16th century with a classic U-shaped layout, together with the garden, considered one of the most beautiful examples of an Italian garden. The garden has been modified several times during its long life and was particularly well cared for after the Second World War.
The Glass Museum, founded in Murano in 1861, is part of the Venice Civic Museums Foundation. Its headquarters are in the historic Palazzo del Vescovi di Torcello, a flowery gothic style building formerly home to Bishop Marco Giustinian. It was born as a project for the establishment of an archive that would bring together the testimonies of the history of the island but quickly evolved into its museum form.
Grand Canal, or "Canalazzo for the Venetian, is the main channel of Venice, which divides the city into two. It represents the main communication route along Venice's most important buildings are located in Oraa. The 16ft-deep Venice Grand Canal – known by locals as the Canalazzo – has over 170 buildings built along its two-and-a-half-mile length, many of them grand palazzos.
Palazzo Grassi is a Venetian civil building, located in the San Marco district and overlooking the Grand Canal. It is one of the most famous lagoon buildings, as well as home to art exhibitions worthy of particular interest: it is famous because it is defined as the last patrician palace overlooking the Grand Canal before the collapse of the Serenissima Republic of Venice.
A beautiful island which was in the Venetian Lagoon, northern Italy. The island was a popular place for local travellers and fishermen to land. Mauro Codussi's Chiesa di San Michele in Isola of 1469, the first Renaissance church in Venice, and a monastery lie on the island, which also served for a time as a prison.
Map of attractions in Veneto