13 Lighthouses to explore in United States
Third largest and third most populous country in the world. Size-wise, it is almost as large as the continent of Europe.
Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Recreation Area occupies approximately the southern third of the island of Key Biscayne. This park includes the Cape Florida Lighthouse, the oldest standing structure in Greater Miami. it was ranked as having the 8th best beach in the country.
Boca Chita Key is the island north of the upper Florida Keys in Biscayne National Park, Miami-Dade County, There is a beautiful lighthouse located in this island and a campground with picnic tables and saltwater toilets. Freshwater and electricity are not available in this island.
Standing tall and majestically along the south end of the Key Biscayne shoreline, the Cape Florida lighthouse is a staggering sight. It’s a beautiful piece of history and it’s a treasure that has withstood more than its share of wear and tear over the decades. The lighthouse was put back into use in 1978 by the U.S. Coast Guard to mark the Florida Channel, the deepest natural channel into Biscayne Bay. They decommissioned it in 1990.
The Cape Henry Lighthouse was built in 1792. It started to crack in 1870 and was replaced with the new Cape Henry Lighthouse only 357 feet away, which is an active aid to navigation and operated by the U.S. Coast Guard. Today two lighthouses stand at Cape Henry, guardians to the gateway of the Chesapeake Bay.
Located on Egmont Key, at the mouth of Tampa Bay, it can only be reached by boat or ferry. The Egmont Key Lighthouse and the ruins of Fort Dade, a Spanish–American War era fort, are located in the park. The entire 328 acres (133 ha) island is actually part of Egmont Key National Wildlife Refuge.
This is the easternmost point on the Hawaiian island of Oʻahu, located in the Makapuʻu region. This is a popular hiking spot offering great views of Makapuʻu and Waimanalo Bay on one side and the Ka ʻIwi Channel on the other side and it is also the home of the Makapuʻu Point Light.
It is a lighthouse built in 1871 to guide ships on the Pacific coast of California. It is the tallest lighthouse in the area. It is still an active Coast Guard aid to navigation. The lighthouse is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated as a California Historical Landmark.