Top 53 attractions to explore in Tipperary
County Tipperary is a county in Ireland. It is located in the province of Munster. The county is named after the town of Tipperary, and was established in the early 13th century, shortly after the Norman invasion of Ireland. It is also the largest landlocked county in Ireland.
Ardfinnan Castle, is the sister castle of Lismore Castle and was built circa 1185 to guard the river crossing at Ardfinnan in County Tipperary, Ireland. The Anglo-Norman castle is positioned on a large rocky incline and it looks out over the Suir valley with the Knockmealdown Mountains to the south, and the Galtee Mountains to the northwest. The castle is a parallelogram in shape with square battlements at the corners and a fortified entrance gateway.
The Arra Mountains or Arra Hills are situated in County Tipperary in Ireland, between the towns of Nenagh and Ballina, south east of Lough Derg and north of the M7 Motorway. The highest summit is Tountinna (Irish: Tonn Toinne) at 457m high. A good trekking destination and also it offers stunning views from here.
Athassel Priory is the largest medieval priory in Ireland, stretching over a 4-acre site. The priory dates back to the late 12th century. The priory was burnt twice, once in 1329 by Brian King of Thomond and again in 1581 by John Fitzgerald of Desmond. A large town had grown up around the priory but was destroyed during the two raids. The priory was finally dissolved in 1537 and the lands given to Thomas Butler, 10th Earl of Ormond, who neglected the abbey, and it subsequently fell into ruin.
Ballynahow Castle was built in the early 16th century by the Purcell family, an Old English family who held the title of Baron of Loughmoe. It stands five storeys high with two internal vaults, each covering two storeys; the top storey was for merly covered by a conical timber roof carried on squinch arches. The lower floors were used in the 1840s as a cottage. The tower house was transferred to state ownership in 1930.
Burncourt Castle is situated near Burncourt off the M8 five miles south west of Cahir. It is a fortified house and a National Monument. The castle comprises a rectangular central block with a four storey square tower at each corner. The interior was lit by mullioned windows. It is one of the iconic attractions in this area and there are so many opportunities to study about the history.
Cahir Castle is one of Ireland’s largest and best-preserved castles. It stands proudly on a rocky island on the River Suir. So effective was its design that it was believed to be impregnable, but it finally fell to the earl of Essex in 1599 when heavy artillery was used against it for the first time. Granted to the powerful Butler family in late 14th century, the castle was enlarged and remodelled between the 15th and 17th centuries. It fell into ruin in the late 18th century.
Castle Otway was the family home of Admiral Sir Robert Waller Otway. This former 18th-century country house which stood on a hill on the outskirts of Templederry, near Nenagh in County Tipperary, Ireland. The house was built in stone up against the ruins of Cloghane Castle in two storeys with a 7-bay frontage, of which the middle three were pedimented. It now stands as a derelict ruin with the gardens and estate land used for farming.
The Devil's Bit is a mountain in County Tipperary, Ireland which is 478m above sea level at its highest elevation. It lies to the north-west of the town of Templemore. The mountain is usually ascended via the townsland of Barnane. There is a car park at the base. The top of the mountain looks as if a chunk has been taken out of it, which local folklore has explained as a result of the Devil biting into the mountaintop.
This castle began as a 13th-century hall house and was later converted into a tower house in the 15th/16th century. It was built by the followers of Thomas Butler Esq. in the 13th century. The hall house was originally only two storeys high, but two additional storeys were later added, and vaults added to the ground floor. A base batter is present and can be attributed to the earlier structure.
The East Munster Way is a 70km linear walking route of considerable variety, from riverside paths to woodland and from open mountain moorland to quiet country roads. It starts in the town of Carrick-on-Suir, at the south east extremity of County Tipperary, and follows the River Suir upstream. It is designated as a National Waymarked Trail by the National Trails Office of the Irish Sports Council and is managed by Tipperary County Council, Coillte and Waterford County Council.
Famine Warhouse 1848, traditionally known as the Ballingarry Warhouse or The Widow McCormack's House, is an Irish farmhouse famous as the site of a skirmish in the Young Irelander Rebellion of 1848, at which the Irish tricolour was flown for the first time. It became a National Monument in 1989, was renovated in 2000–01 and was renamed "Famine Warhouse 1848" in 2004.
Galtybeg is a mountain summit in the region in the county of Tipperary. They run roughly east-west across the border of County Tipperary and County Limerick. The highest point is Galtymore at 918 metres , one of the highest mountains in Ireland. It is a good trekking destination and also it offers so many views from here.
The Glen of Aherlow is a valley located between Slievenamuck and the Galtee Mountains. It is a wqalkers paradise. There are five looped walking trails in and around Gortavoher. All start & finish around Christ the King car park. All offer wonderful views and a chance to take time out in nature. This large continuous block of forestry is over 3500 acres in size and provides a home to a selection of animals including pine martins and red squirrels.
This is a mixed woodland in Ireland. It is situated on Old Red Sandstone on the southern slopes of the Galtee Mountains. It is mainly a coniferous forest with Sitka Spruce being the main species. The area also contains approximately 50 hectares of native Oak, Birch and Alder. Animals present include fallow deer, foxes, badgers, hares and red squirrels. Birds include pheasants, hawks, kestrels, ravens, herons and many song birds.
Grantstown Castle is a 15th-century castle for self-catering holidays, set at the heart of the Golden Vale, County Tipperary. It was originally built by the Burke family but by the 1500's it was in the hands of the Earl of Ormond. Extensive restorations took place in the early 2000's and all reconstructions have been carried out with respect for the original construction.
The Graves of the Leinstermen has arguably the most evocative name of all the sites in the Adopt a Monument Scheme. Mystery surrounds this megalithic monument on the slopes of the Arra Mountains overlooking Lough Derg in Co. Tipperary. The monument, however, is thought to date back to prehistory, with the general consensus being that it is some form of megalithic tomb.
This is a Cistercian monastery in Holycross near Thurles, County Tipperary, Ireland, situated on the River Suir. It takes its name from a relic of the True Cross or Holy Rood. Today this working parish church is a peaceful landmark and a place for quiet contemplation and historical discovery. As well as inspecting the relic of the cross, you can marvel at the building’s ornate stonework.
Keeper Hill is situated in the Slieve Felim mountain range in North Tipperary, just 15km east of Limerick City. The mountain is about 15 km east of Limerick City. Keeper Hill is the highest mountain in the Silvermines and the 58th highest in Ireland. There is a stone circle in Bauraglanna townland on the northeastern slopes, known as Firbrega. There is a looped walk around the lower shoulders of Keeper Hill, to which the ‘hardy’ walker can add the ‘trek’ to the summit.
Kilcash Castle is an Irish ruined castle in County Tipperary. Situated on the N24 road west of Ballydine, it is believed to date from the 16th century and was gradually extended over the following centuries. This building was partially repaired in the 1980s and is now safe to visit. In the graveyard, the mausoleum contains the tombs with headstones carved with elaborate scenes of the crucifixion.
Kilcooley Abbey is a national heritage site that nobody outside the parish knows much about. It is located near the village of Gortnahoe. The ruins, situated on a lovely expanse of land on the Kilcooley Estate, date back to 1182, when Donal Mor O’Brien gave the property to the Cistercians.
Map of attractions in Tipperary