Top 68 attractions you must visit in Wicklow
Contents in This Page
County Wicklow is a county in Ireland. The last of the traditional 32 counties, having been formed as late as 1606, it is part of the Mid-East Region and the traditional province of Leinster. It is bordered by the Irish Sea to the east and the counties of Wexford to the south, Carlow to the southwest, Kildare to the west, and Dublin to the north.
Attractions in Wicklow
The Arklow Maritime Museum opened in 1976 in the old technical school on Saint Marys Road in Arklow, County Wicklow. Its original purpose was to celebrate the town's rich seafaring heritage, described by the late maritime historian John de Courcy Ireland in a letter to the museum as "Ireland's Most Maritime Town". In 2009, the museum moved to its current location at the Bridgewater Shopping Centre.
Athgreany is a picturesque circle of 16 grey granite stones and an outlier. Some of these pillars and boulders are up to two meters high and enclose an area of about twenty two meters across. Now the site is composed of 16 granite boulders, with 5 remaining in their original placements.
Avondale Forest is a wooded estate in County Wicklow, Ireland, on the west bank of the River Avonmore. It contains the home of Charles Stewart Parnell which was built in 1777 by Samuel Hayes and is now the Parnell Museum. The park is rich in wildlife and notable features include the exotic tree trail and a well-developed arboretum. It lies mainly on the west bank of the Avonmore River covering 214 hectares of land. The ruins of Parnell's old sawmill and Parnell's well are located in the park.
Avondale House,is the birthplace and home of Charles Stewart Parnell. It is set in the Avondale Forest Park, approximately 1.5 km from the nearby town of Rathdrum. The House is now a museum open to visitors, who are introduced to the house by an audio visual presentation. Other facilities include a restaurant, book shop, picnic areas, children's play area, two orienteering courses. In the surrounding parkland are tree trails and walks ranging in duration from one to five hours.
Avondale House, birthplace and home of Charles Stewart Parnell , is set in a magnificent 500 acre forest park near Rathdrum in County Wicklow. The river Avonmore flows through the park on its way towards the Irish Sea. The House is now a museum. This interesting Georgian house was built in 1777, and contains fine original plasterwork and the Parnell family furniture.
The Abbey is situated on the east bank of the River Slaney on the North side of Baltinglass town.The Abbey was founded in 1148 by Dermot McMurrogh. Dermot McMurrogh brought Cistercian monks from Mellifont. It was established for the Cistercians which was called “The Valley of Salvation”.The six beautiful Gothic arches on either side of the nave, supported by alternate round and square pillars, are a noteworthy feature of the ruins.
On the eastern outskirts of Wicklow Town on a rock above the sea lies the ruin of Black Castle. Only a few fragments of the wall remain of the castle built by the Normans at the end of the 12th century. It stands on a rocky promontory over the sea, at the eastern side of the town. Following the arrival of the Norman’s in 1169 Earl Strongbow was granted the lands along the East Coast. He in turn granted those lands to Baron Maurice Fitzgerald on condition that he build castles for protection.
Bray Head hill and headland located in northern County Wicklow, Ireland, between the towns of Bray and Greystones. It forms part of the Wicklow Mountains and is a popular spot with hillwalkers. The headland and adjacent lands were designated under a Special Amenity Area Order in March 2008.
Camaderry is the 90th-highest peak in Ireland on the Arderin scale, and the 112th-highest peak on the Vandeleur-Lynam scale. is situated in the southern sector of the Wicklow Mountains range, and forms a broad horseshoe around the valley of Glendalough with the hydroelectric station at Turlough Hill.
A well preserved ceremonial circle stands four and half km south of Donard village in Castleruddery Lower. This site consists of an inner circle of twenty nine large stones, some standing erect, others lying surrounded by a flat earthen bank. Two extremely large quartz boulders on the eastern side, possibly mark the entrance. Locally, the circle is thought to have special healing properties.
Cloghernagh is a 800-metre mountain in County Wicklow in Ireland. It is situated in the southern sector of the Wicklow Mountains range, and is part of the large massif of Lugnaquilla 925 metres (3,035 ft), Wicklow's highest mountain. A good trekking destination and also there are so many things to see and do here.
This is the 211th–highest peak in Ireland on the Arderin scale, and the 258th–highest peak on the Vandeleur-Lynam scale. Croghan is situated at the far southeastern end of the Wicklow Mountains on the Wicklow and Wexford border, in Ireland. A good trekking destination and also there are so many things to see and do.
Crone Woods,is located in the northeastern section of the Wicklow Mountains, just below the summit of Maulin 570 metres, in Wicklow in the Ireland. Crone Woods have an extensive network of forest trails and hikes which can be accessed from the village of Enniskerry. The woods were once part of the Powerscourt Estate with records from the 13th-century showing the area was set aside as a royal hunting ground. The forest is owned and operated by Coillte, the Irish state forestry agency.
Djouce is one of the most accessible of the higher Wicklow Mountains at a height of 725 metres above sea level. Views from Djouce include the Dargle River valley and Powerscourt Waterfall which is the highest falls in Ireland or Britain. The area is a good jumping off point for accessing the mountain area of Djouce, War Hill, White Hill and Maulin and the Glensoulan valley. It also gives access to the Wicklow Way.
Killruddery House is a large country house on the southern outskirts of Bray in County Wicklow, Ireland, approximately 20 km south of Dublin. The present structure is a south facing multi-bay mansion, originally dating from the 17th century, but remodelled and extended in 1820 in the Elizabethan style. It is constructed as variously single, two, three and four storeys in the shape of an irregular quadrangle enclosing a courtyard.
Glenart Castle was the residence of the late Lord and Lady Carysfort. The Castle is half in ruins but the other part is good and is kept by cartetakers. There were about eighty rooms in the Castle when it was built, but nine of the rooms were burnt and a lot of most valuable furniture was destroyed, the value of which amounted to forty-five thousand pounds.
The Glendalough Valley is located in the Wicklow Mountains National Park and has many attractions to entice, entertain and enthral visitors, from its world famous Monastic Site with Round Tower to its scenic lakes and valleys, as well as a selection of walks and trails in the area including The Wicklow Way. It is also a recreational area for picnics, for walking along networks of maintained trails of varying difficulty, and also for rock-climbing.
Glendalough Cathedral is one of Ireland’s earliest Christian monasteries. Its seven church ruins are found in the stunning Glendalough Valley, part of Wicklow Mountains National Park. Exploring the monastery and any of the Glendalough Walks is a great day trip from Dublin.
The round tower at Glendalough is considered by many to be one of the most finely constructed and beautiful towers in Ireland. Situated in a thickly forested valley, the 30.48 metre tall tower is built of mica schist with a granite doorway. The conical roof was rebuilt in 1876 using the original stones that were found inside the tower. The round tower is divided internally into 6 storeys by timber floors, connected by ladders. The four storeys above entrance level are each lit by a small window.
This is a glacial lake near Glendalough, County Wicklow, Ireland. The lake is located in the Wicklow Mountains area west of Glendalough Early Medieval monastic settlement. The lake is classified as a ribbon lake. Close to the eastern tip of the lake passes the Wicklow Way, a long distance waymarked walking trail, on its way from Rathfarnham in the north to its southerly point of Clonegal.