Top 61 attractions you must visit in Dundee
Contents in This Page
Dundee is Scotland's fourth-largest city and the 51st-most-populous built-up area in the United Kingdom. The mid-year population estimate for 2016 was 148,280, giving Dundee a population density of 2,478/km2 or 6,420/sq mi, the second-highest in Scotland. It lies within the eastern central Lowlands on the north bank of the Firth of Tay, which feeds into the North Sea. Under the name of Dundee City, it forms one of the 32 council areas used for local government in Scotland.
Attractions in Dundee
Ardestie Earth Houseis an example of an earth house or souterrain, ancient underground structures common to the British Isles and Brittany. This is one of the largest and most complex examples of its kind in Scotland. It was accidentally discovered during ploughing in 1949. Subsequent excavations during the following two years also revealed about eight associated stone dwellings at ground level.
Auchterhouse Hill is one of many hilltops around the East of Scotland that must have been a defensive outpost at some time in the distant past. It has the distinct remains of hillfort earthworks ringing the summit, most obviously where the main path climbs through the belt of larch trees on the southern side. There is an ancient hill fort on the summit. The annual Auchterhouse Hill Race takes place in March.
Balgay Park and Necropolis are situated in the south-west of Dundee within easy reach of the town centre, and are confined by Balgay Hill which is 141 metres above sea level. On the north side of the hill below the observatory the footpaths are planted with Irish yew and the path bordered with a low iron rail. There is a canopy of mature woodland on Balgay Hill of beech, oak, and Scots pine.
The ruins of Balmerino Abbey stand in a beautifully tranquil corner of northern Fife close to the south bank of the River Tay and some five miles south west of the Tay Road Bridge. It was founded in 1227 to 1229 by monks from Melrose Abbey with the patronage of Ermengarde de Beaumont and King Alexander II of Scotland. In combination with several centuries of plundering for building stone the entire main abbey is absent and only the smaller support structures to the north survive, most notable of
The Barnhill Rock Garden is an award winning public park extending to more than two hectares. This beautiful garden boasts a wonderful array of alpines, shrubs, woodland and waterside planting with spectacular views across the River Tay. Over the years it was extended eastwards over areas which had been sand dunes, and rock from a local quarry was used to form a large part of the Garden. It is a gently undulating south sloping informal garden, with an outlook over the Firth of Tay.
The Barry Burn, otherwise known as Pitairlie Burn is a minor river in Angus, Scotland. It rises in the eastern portion of the Sidlaw Hills and flows past Newbigging, through Barry and the western part of Carnoustie, before taking a meandering course through Carnoustie Golf Links.
Barry Mill is now one of only a handful of mills still powered by water. Rebuilt after a fire around 1814, it is probably the largest and finest example of its type still in operation. This is a magnificent example of the country’s industrial heritage and you can learn. The water-powered mill produced oatmeal and animal feed, as well as providing work for local people, right up until 1982.
Baxter Park is one of Dundee's many parks and it is fair to say that it is perhaps one of the best tended to as its always a beautiful and clean space. The 38 acre park donated to the citizens of Dundee by Sir David Baxter and his two sisters Mary Ann and Eleanor and was constructed over two areas of ground, the lower Park being a field and the upper, a disused quarry, which was filled in for use as a part of the construction.
Birkhill is the family home of the Earl and Countess of Dundee in Birkhill, Cupar in Fife. It is located on the shores of the river Tay a short distance from St Andrews. The castle is operated as a commercial venture offering facilities for corporate and private groups. It is also a venue for weddings. The Castle is surrounded by gardens housing an array of rare plants and trees. Although they are focused on private and corporate groups, their accommodation is also available to the general publi
Monifieth's Blue Seaway is an outdoor recreation on the seafront. It has lots on offer for children including putting, tennis courts, bowling green, and a wheeled sports area with half pipe and skatepark. The scenic surroundings offer many opportunities to enjoy the outdoors at any time of year.
Broughty Castle Museum houses fascinating displays on the life and times of Broughty Ferry, its people, the environment and the wildlife that live close by. It was completed around 1495, although the site was earlier fortified in 1454 when George Douglas, 4th Earl of Angus received permission to build on the site. His son Archibald Douglas, 5th Earl of Angus was coerced into ceding the castle to the crown. The main tower house forming the centre of the castle with four floors was built by Andrew
This broad sandy beach at the mouth of the Tay estuary lies just to the east of the impressive Broughty Castle. As its name suggests Broughty Ferry was once a ferry port. Before the completion of the first Tay Rail. Easy access from a promenade, a nature conservation site and great views across the Tay estuary to the North Fife coast.
Camperdown Country Park, often known as just Camperdown Park, is a public park in the Camperdown area of Dundee. The park is the location of Camperdown House, a wildlife centre and many other recreational facilities. It is the largest park in Dundee, stretching to 400 acres. Over 190 species of tree are found in the park. It is located three miles from Dundee city centre.
Camperdown Country Park, often known as just Camperdown Park, is a public park in the Camperdown area of Dundee, Scotland. The park comprises the former grounds of Camperdown House, a 19th-century mansion, which was bought by the city in 1946. Camperdown Park is home to a wildlife centre and recreational facilities. It is the largest park in Dundee, stretching to 400 acres. Over 190 species of tree are found in the park.
Carlungie Earth House is one of the largest and most complex examples of its kind in Scotland. It was accidentally discovered during ploughing in 1949. Subsequent excavations during the following two years also revealed about eight associated stone dwellings at ground level. The winding passage is one of the most complex earth house structures in Scotland. Despite the name, it is not a house, nor is it built of earth.
The small pretty beach in Carnoustie is located just a few minutes walking distance from the train station and town centre. The beach slopes gently into the sea, and at high tide the water can come all the way up to the sea wall. At low tide the distance to the water’s edge can be as much as 300 metres, so it is best to check the tide times before visiting.
Carnoustie Golf Links is an iconic, world-leading golf destination in Scotland and home to ‘Golf’s Greatest Test’. Golf has been played at the Links since the 16th century and it was Carnoustie natives who went on to establish the Professional Golfer’s Associations of America and Australia.
Clatto Park has a large reservoir, woodland, paths and a play area. The reservoir was created as part of Dundee’s water supply in 1874, but is no longer connected to the supply network. Facilities at Clatto include a watersports centre, children's play areas, picnic and barbecue site. The park offers recreational activities, such as watersports, that can be organised through Ancrum Outdoor Centre.
Clatto Reservoir is a shallow reservoir in Camperdown Country Park, Dundee, Scotland. Although the site was previously used as a drinking water reservoir, this ceased in 1972. Now, it is used solely for recreational activity such as boating and fishing. In recent years, the reservoir has suffered from persistent cyanobacterial blooms that have restricted its amenity venue.