7 Buddhist Temples to explore in Bago Region
Bago Region is an administrative region of Myanmar, located in the southern central part of the country. It features many man-made structures such as Buddhist temples and Palace.
The Bawbawgyi Paya is the best preserved ruin of the old Pyu kingdom of Sri Ksetra. Of uncertain age, it was likely built between the 6th and the 7th centuries when the Pyu people commanded the circular city immediately to the north. Despite its antiquity, the pagoda is in excellent structural condition, having miraculously survived a number of major earthquakes over the preceding centuries.
The Hinthagon Pagoda is a shrine in Bago, Myanmar. It is a popular tourist destination as it was named after the mythological Hintha bird, a symbol of the Mon people. The monastery is situated on top of a hill that, according to Myanmar legend, was the only point rising from the sea where the Hintha bird could land. Paintings and carvings of the Hamsa are visible throughout the temple.
The Kyaik Pun Pagoda actually means Four Statues Pagoda in Burmese. It was built by King Migadippa in the late 7th century and restored in 1476 by King Khammazedi. It consists of 4 enormous Buddhas in the seated position and back-to-back with each other, wearing golden robes and all have different expressions on the faces. They are in the Bhumisparsha mudra, calling the Earth to witness. It is one of the famous attraction in this area and daily a lot of devotees comes here and experiences this b
The Mahazedi Paya ranks among the most sacred sites in Bago, second only to the Shwemawdaw Pagoda. First established in 1559 or 1560, it reputedly houses a tooth relic from Sri Lanka, the gift of King Dharmapala of the Kotte kingdom. Throughout its history, the pagoda has been destroyed by several earthquakes on the Sagaing Fault, on 13 September 1564, 1583, and 8 October 1888, and completely leveled in 1930. Mahazedi Pagoda was rebuilt in the 1950s.
The Shwemawdaw Pagoda is the most important monument in Bago and probably its oldest. At present, it is certainly the tallest, rising to a height of 114 meters. Repeatedly destroyed and rebuilt over the centuries in the familiar cycle of earthquakes and official patronage, the site remains a popular pilgrimage destination owing to the belief that within its core are two genuine hair relics of the Buddha conveyed here in ancient times from India.
The Shwesandaw Pagoda or Shwesandaw Paya is a Buddhist pagoda in the center of Pyay, Burma. It is one of the more important Buddhist pilgrimage locations in Myanmar. It is said to contain a couple of the Buddha’s hairs, as its name means Golden Hair Relic.
The Shwethalyaung Buddha is huge, at 180 feet long and 52 feet high. However, after a 1757 pillaging of the area, the world lost track fo the Buddha, only to have a British railway engineer accidentally rediscover it, completely overgrown with jungle, in 1880. The Buddha was given a giant mosaic pillow in 1930 and is currently kept under a rather unattractive enormous shed. It was one of the main attractions in this area.