23 Monuments to explore in Italy
Located in Southern Europe consisting of a peninsula delimited by the Alps and surrounded by several islands.
The majestic Altar of the Fatherland is the emblem of Italy in the world, a symbol of change, of the Risorgimento and of the Constitution. It was built in 1885 by Umberto I of Savoy, son of Vittorio Emanuele II, first King of Italy. One of the iconic buildings in this area which is famous among tourists. This white marble building, 81 meters high, hides many allegorical meanings that geographically represent the whole of Italy.
It was erected in Rimini, Italy. This is a triumphal arch built in honor of Rome’s first emperor, Augustus, by the Roman Senate. This triumphal arch was built in 27 B.C.E. This is the oldest standing arch in Rome. The arch has one barrel-vaulted entryway. It signaled the end of the via Flaminia, which connected the cities of Romagna to Rome, and spans the modern Corso d'Augusto, which led to the beginning of another road, the via Emilia, which ran northwest to Piacenza.
The Arch of Titus is a Roman Triumphal Arch which was erected by Domitian in c. 81 CE at the foot of the Palatine hill on the Via Sacra in the Forum Romanum, Rome. It commemorates the victories of his father Vespasian and brother Titus in the Jewish War. The arch is also a political and religious statement expressing the divinity of the late emperor Titus.
It was originally the mausoleum of the Roman emperor Hadrian and became the burial place of the Antonine emperors until Caracalla. It was built in AD 135–139 and converted into a fortress in the 5th century. It is split into five floors which can be reached by a spiral ramp that first reaches the chamber of ashes and subsequently the cells in which a number of historical figures were incarcerated.
The Catacombs of San Gennaro are ancient underground cemetery areas dating back to the II-III century and represent the most important monument of Christianity in Naples. The catacombs lie under the Rione Sanità neighborhood of Naples, sometimes called the "Valley of the Dead".The site is now easily identified by the large church of Madre del Buon Consiglio.
The Fontanelle cemetery is an ancient cemetery in the city of Naples, located in via Fontanelle. Named in this way due to the presence of water sources in ancient times, the cemetery houses about 40,000 remains of people, victims of the great plague of 1656 and cholera of 1836. The cemetery is also known because a particular rite took place there, called the rite of the "pezzentelle souls", which involved the adoption and arrangement in exchange for protection of a skull, to which it correspond
The monumental cemetery of the Certosa di Bologna is located just outside the circle of the city walls , near the Renato Dall'Ara stadium , at the foot of the Guardia hill where the sanctuary of the Madonna di San Luca is located . The municipal cemetery was established in 1801 by reusing the pre-existing structures of the Certosa di San Girolamo di Casara , founded in the mid-fourteenth century, suppressed in 1797 by Napoleon , and of which the Church of San Girolamo is still in operation.
The Palazzo dei Diamanti is one of the most famous monuments of Ferrara and of the Italian Renaissance, located in Corso Ercole I d'Este 21, in the Quadrivio degli Angeli , right in the center of the Addizione Erculea. It was one of the most stunning palaces of Italian Renaissance architecture, is a must-see when you visit this small town rich in history and art about half an hour from Emilia-Romagna’s capital, Bologna.
The House of the Faun is a Domus of the Roman era, buried during the ' eruption of Vesuvius in 79, and found as a result of the archaeological excavations of the' ancient Pompeii: is one of the greatest examples of ' Roman art of I century and is named after the owners, Aulo Vettio Restituto and Aulo Vettio Conviva. It is located in region VI, near the Vesuvian Gate, bordered by the Vicolo di Mercurio and the Vicolo dei Vettii. The house is one of the largest Domus in Pompeii, spanning the entir
The Cimitero Monumentale is one of the two largest cemeteries in Milan, Italy, the other one being the Cimitero Maggiore. It is noted for the abundance of artistic tombs and monuments. The site allows visitors to time-travel into the history of Milan, as they can spot the tombs of figures whose names now adorn major metro stations, roads, and squares. During the following years, neoclassical arcades and buildings inspired by Hellenistic architecture were added to this area.
One of the remarkable monuments in this area is home to the National Cinema Museum, where the vast collection of silver-screen memorabilia draws film buffs from around the world. This exhibition is a visual journey across the history of the moving image from the archeology of cinema to television. The exhibition is divided into various sections and presents rare artifacts, films, scene objects and sets, posters, reconstructions, and models.
The Ara Pacis is, at its simplest, an open-air altar for blood sacrifice associated with the Roman state religion. This monument made in marble celebrates the peace in the Mediterranean area established by the emperor after his victorious campaigns in Hispania and Gaul. This is a splendid monument dedicated to the peace and prosperity that the reign of Emperor Caesar Augustus had brought to Rome.
Palazzo Lanfranchi is the greatest monument that represents the seventeenth - century period in Matera. In front of the door is the sculpture "The Drop" by Kengiro Azuma. The palace has undergone many renovations and has housed the Museo Della Grafica since 2007. The Museum houses the collection of the Gabinetto Disegni e Stampe dell’Università di Pisa; initially curated in 1957 by Carlo Ludovico Ragghianti.
The Roman Pantheon is the monument with the greatest number of records: the best preserved, with the biggest brick dome in the history of architecture, and is considered the forerunner of all modern places of worship. It is the most copied and imitated of all ancient works. It was built in 27-25 BC by the magistrate Marcus Agrippa in order to commemorate the victory over Mark Antony and Cleopatra in the battle of Actium. Later this original temple was burned down in 80 AD. It was then completely
The Montagnola garden is one of the oldest and most central green areas in the city of Bologna, which opened for the first time in the 17th century. In the garden of the Montagnola the bodies of Luigi Zamboni and Giovanni Battista De Rolandis were solemnly buried on the direct order of Napoleon, who in 1794 led an attempted revolt to Bologna during which Italian tricolor cockades were used; in 1799, with the arrival of the Austrians, the bodies were dispersed.
The Pio Monte Della Misericordia is a monumental building in Naples located in Piazza Riario Sforza, along the major decumanus . Born as a lay charitable institution, one of the oldest and most active in the city, it houses a seventeenth-century church where the canvas of the Seven Works of Mercy by Caravaggio is kept, one of the most important paintings of the seventeenth century, and other prestigious paintings of the same century belonging to the Neapolitan school.
The Rocchetta Mattei is a fortress located on the northern Apennines, on a hill 407 meters above sea level, in the locality of Savignano in the municipality of Grizzana Morandi, on the state road nº 64 Porrettana, in the metropolitan city of Bologna. Built-in the second half of the 19th century, it mixes different styles in an eclectic way, from medieval to Moorish.
The sanctuary of Santa Maria Delle Armi is a monumental complex of medieval origin in Calabria. It is located in the territory of Cerchiara di Calabria on the slopes of Mount Sellaro at 1015 m above sea level with a view of the Sibari plain and the Gulf of Taranto. Today's sanctuary stands on an ancient Byzantine monastic site, on the slopes of Mount Sellaro, also known as the holy mountain.
The archaeological excavations of Cuma have returned the remains of the ancient city of Cuma, one of the oldest Greek colonies in Italy, dating back to 730 BC and abandoned in 1207 when it was destroyed by the Neapolitan armies. The site of Cuma, explored in several stages starting from 1606, but systematically only since 1852, is managed by the Superintendence for Archaeological Heritage of Naples.
The Spanish Steps are a set of steps dating from 1723, climbing a steep slope between the Piazza di Spagna at the base and Piazza Trinita dei Monti at the top dominated by Trinita dei Monti Church. The steps are a wide irregular gathering place consisted of 138 steps placed in a mix of curves, straight flights, vistas and terraces. They connect the lower Piazza di Spagna with the upper piazza Trinita dei Monti, with its beautiful twin tower church dominating the skyline.