26 Caves to explore in Italy
Located in Southern Europe consisting of a peninsula delimited by the Alps and surrounded by several islands.
The Blue Grotto is a karst cavity that opens on the north-western side of the island of Capri. Administratively it belongs to the municipality of Anacapri, in the metropolitan city of Naples. Prestigious nymphaeum of the Roman age, after a long decline the cave became known starting from 1826 when it was visited by the German artist August Kopisch.
The Fantiscritti quarries are white marble quarries located in the municipality of Carrara . The whole, now a museum, was created forty years ago by Walter Danesi. There is a railway station built for the line of the Carrara Private Marble Railway . It houses a "Museum of the quarries" and is often a stage and scenery for artists' exhibitions.
The Caglieron caves are located in the municipality of Fregona, province of Treviso, precisely in the locality of Breda. It is a series of cavities created partly by natural erosion activities and partly by human action. Natural erosion consists of a deep gorge carved by the Caglieron stream on alternating layers of limestone conglomerate, sandstone and marl from the Serravallian Miocene . You can admire numerous waterfalls, about ten meters high, with large potholes at the base.
The Bue Marino caves are coastal caves located in the territory of the municipality of Dorgali on the eastern coast of Sardinia. They owe their name from the Sardinian name of the monk seal, a marine mammal believed to have disappeared from the area due to excessive anthropogenic pressure. More than 20 kilometers long, after a common entrance, the cave branches out into three distinct sections: the north branch, the middle branch, and the south branch.
The Grotta dei Cervi is a natural coastal cave , located along the Salento coast in Porto Badisco in the Municipality of Otranto. It was discovered on February 1, 1970 by five members of the "Pasquale de Lorentiis Salentino Speleological Group" of Maglie (Isidoro Mattioli, Severino Albertini, Remo Mazzotta, Enzo Evangelisti and Daniele Rizzo, to which Nunzio Pacella and Giuseppe Salamina were also added [ 1] ) and is the most impressive Neolithic painting complex in Europe. At first it was given
The Grotte del Leone is a karst cave located on the Pisan Mountains, in the locality of Agnano, municipality of San Giuliano Terme in the province of Pisa. The cave, which owes its name to a stalagmite formation whose shape resembles that of a lion, is made up of a large collapse hall that descends towards the east where there is a small lake, probably connected to that of the nearby Buca dei ladri . It has been the subject of human visits from the Upper Paleolithic since historical times.
The Grotta di Ispinigoli is a karst cave in the Supramonte range, near Dorgali, Sardinia, Italy. The cave hides inside a stalagmite column about 38 meters high, which connects the vault with the floor of the cave itself. The remarkable hall has a depth of 35 meters, a diameter of c / a 80 meters. The base, where the visitable path insists, is occupied by collapsed rocks originating from normal geo-evolutionary processes.
The cave of Marina di Maratea is a small cave located in the municipality of Maratea, in the province of Potenza, in the locality of San Giuseppe near the hamlet of the same name. The cave was set along a fault in the rock in the limestones of the carbonate series of the Giagola and Gada mountains of the Lower Cretaceous.
The Giant Cave is a karst cave, explored in 1840 and opened to tourism by the Triestini Tourists Club as early as 1908. Following the loss of the Postojna Caves, which passed to Yugoslavia in 1947, it received a strong tourist boost after World War II. The cave is located on the Karst plateau, a few kilometers from the city of Trieste and the border with Slovenia.
The cave of Su Marmuri, is located in the territory of the municipality of Ulassai , in the barbaricina subregion of Ogliastra , in central-eastern Sardinia , under the characteristic heel of the town itself, it is considered among the most imposing of Europe. Peculiarities of the cave are the imposing rooms with a very high vault, the numerous calcite concretions , grandiose stalactites , stalagmites and columns.
The Zinzulusa is a natural coastal cave located along the Salento coast between Castro and Santa Cesarea Terme, one of the best known anchialine caves in southern Italy. The name of the cave derives from the dialect word " zinzuli ", rags, and is due to the karst formations, in particular stalactites , which hang from the ceiling as if they were hanging rags. The formation of the cave, which occurred due to marine erosion, dates back to the Pliocene period.
The caves of Borgio Verezzi - also known as Valdemino caves - are a complex cavity karst relevant tourist located in Borgio Verezzi, in the province of Savona. The cave complex is managed directly by the Municipality of Borgio Verezzi. They are a classic example of a karst phenomenon, whose structure has been generated over time by the slow erosion of water through the rock.
The caves of Castellana are a complex of underground caves of karst origin of speleological and tourist interest, located in the Italian municipality of Castellana Grotte, in Puglia. Attached to the complex there is a speleological museum. The entrance is represented by an enormous vertical tunnel 60 meters long. The main cave is named "La Grave", and others are named Black Cavern, White Cave, and Precipice Cavern.
The caves of Camerano are an underground complex of considerable extension, which develops below the historic center of the town of Camerano. The underground complex has a totally artificial origin, hence the name of "city" is preferable to that of " cave ", which is more ambiguous. The precise extension of the hypogeum is not known, as it has not been completely surveyed. It extends roughly under the entire historic center, even outside the boundaries of the ancient fortified city.
Narni underground is a complex of hypogea rediscovered since 1977, consisting for the most part of water cisterns and rooms used for different uses, both by the population and by the monastic orders. Some of them are now open to the public. The historic center of Narni is full of artificial cavities, especially cisterns to collect and store water. For this reason, in 1981 the first-ever conference on artificial cavities was organized in the city, which traced a path followed by many archaeologic
Neptune's Grotto is a stalactite cave near the town of Alghero on the island of Sardinia, Italy. The cave was discovered by local fishermen in the 18th century and has since developed into a popular tourist attraction. The grotto gets its name from the Roman god of the sea, Neptune. The grotto was formed about two million years ago: inside, you will see rooms with astounding karst formations, a white sandy beach and a huge underground lake.
Orvieto, a millenary city suspended almost by magic between heaven and earth, has revealed another of those aspects that make it unique and extraordinary: a labyrinth of grottoes is hidden in the silent darkness of the rupe (rock). The distinctive geological nature of the mass of stone on which it stands allowed its inhabitants to dig, in the course of about 2500 years, an incredible number of cavities extending, overlapping and intersecting beneath the modern structure of the city.
The regional natural park of the Gola della Rossa and Frasassi is a protected natural area of the Marche and has its operational headquarters within the Santa Lucia complex. Inside the park there is also the hermitage of Grottafucile overlooking the Gola della Rossa. There are also the temple of Valadier and the hermitage of Santa Maria Infra Saxa. Extending for about 9170 hectares on the Apennine side of the province of Ancona.
The Pertosa-Auletta caves are a complex of karst cavities of tourist importance, located in the municipality of Pertosa. The karst complex develops in the subsoil of the nearby municipalities of Auletta and Polla, at 263 m asl , along the left bank of the Tanagro river. The caves of Pertosa-Auletta have a flow of over 50,000 visitors a year in constant growth. Open to tourists since 1932, the first section can be visited with a particular boat pulled by a steel cable, which serves to reach the
The Pozzo della Cava is located in Orvieto, in via Della Cava 28. It is a vast, 36-meter-deep hole originally dug by the Etruscans as a well and enlarged between 1527 and1530 by order of Pope Clement VII to supply water to Orvieto in the event of a siege. In 1646 the well was closed after five French officers were hurled down the pit in a brawl.