21 Old Towns to explore in Italy
Located in Southern Europe consisting of a peninsula delimited by the Alps and surrounded by several islands.
Villa San Giovanni is an Italian town of 13 098 inhabitants in the metropolitan city of Reggio Calabria in Calabria. The city overlooks the Strait of Messina and its port is the main ferry terminal for Sicily. Punta Pezzo, in fact, located in the municipality of Villa, represents the closest point between the Calabrian and Sicilian shores: this has made the city the ideal location for crossing the strait.
Amendolea is a small town, part of the municipality of Condofuri, located in the center of the Greek area of the Province of Reggio Calabria. It is inhabited by 13 families and rises about 5 kilometers from the sea, on the left bank of the Amendolea river , and dominated by the fortress on which the Ruffo Castle stands imposingly. Until 1811 it was an autonomous municipality.
The Valle d'Aosta / Vallée d'Aoste is an Italian region with a special statute of north-western Italy, with the capital Aosta, from which it takes its name, which is part of the Alps-Mediterranean Euroregion. it is the smallest region in Italy with 3 263 km² of surface and also the least populated one with 124968 inhabitants, with a completely mountainous territory, bordering to the north with Switzerland.
Alba Fucens, the ancient Roman city at the base of Monte Velino (Province of Aquila), is an archaeological jewel that one should most definitely explore. In fact, the ruins that emerged from excavations initiated by Fernand De Visscher in 1949 are truly remarkable. It is chiefly remarkable for its finely preserved fortifications and so more.
Lignano Sabbiadoro, until 1959 a fraction of Latisana, is an Italian town of 6 837 inhabitants in the province of Udine in Friuli-Venezia Giulia. Located on the Upper Adriatic, on the border with Veneto, it is known for its tourist vocation. It is one of the main summer resorts in northern Italy and on the Adriatic Sea coast.
Montalbano Jonico is an Italian town of 7 057 inhabitants in the province of Matera in Basilicata. On 2 April 2009, the President of the Republic Giorgio Napolitano awarded the town of Montalbano Jonico with the honorary title of city. Some courses and services of the University of Magna Græcia of Catanzaro have been based. The reconstruction of the historic site of the houses in Via de Albertino is currently underway, as well as the opening of new construction sites in the center.
Montalto Uffugo is an Italian town of 20 529 inhabitants in the province of Cosenza in Calabria. It is an integral part of the Cosenza urban area. It probably rises on the ancient Aufugum. The territory of Montalto, mainly hilly, has an altitude ranging from 120 to 1380 m asl. In the mountainous area, there are harsh winters with snowfall, and relatively cool summers, as temperatures rise as you go down. The area is very rainy, with concentrated rainfall between autumn and winter.
Monte San Biagio is an Italian town of 6 206 inhabitants in the province of Latina in southern Lazio. It is located on the slope of a hill part of the Monti Ausoni. Until 1862 it was known as Monticello. There are several dishes particular to Monte San Biagio, some using shrimp from the local lakes, and wild asparagus. The pork sausages are particularly distinctive, usually handmade from the meat and lard of the pig, mixed with chili pepper and coriander seed.
Pescasseroli is an Italian town of 2 126 inhabitants in the province of L'Aquila in Abruzzo. It is the seat of the managing body of the Abruzzo, Lazio, and Molise national park. From the historical point of view, the territory had particular influences of the Marsi and Peligni . Included in the county of Marsi until the High Middle Ages, followed from the Low Middle Ages onwards, the historical and cultural vicissitudes of the Alto Sangro territory. A summer and winter resort, it is also the lo
Peschici is an Italian town of 4,491 inhabitants in the province of Foggia in Puglia. It is part of the Gargano National Park and the Gargano Mountain Community. Renowned seaside resort, for the quality of its bathing water it has been repeatedly awarded the Blue Flag by the Foundation for Environmental Education. A peculiarity of the place is that on the hottest days you can see the Croatian coast.
Pila ( Pila in Piedmontese ) is an Italian town of 139 inhabitants in the province of Vercelli in Piedmont . It is located in Valsesia. The municipal area of Pila has very marked variations in altitude: the valley floor is located at about 686 meters above sea level while the highest point, albeit uninhabited, is located at 1,912 meters above sea level.
Polignano a Mare is an Italian town of 17 982 inhabitants in the metropolitan city of Bari in Puglia. The oldest part of the town stands on a rocky spur overlooking the Adriatic Sea 33 kilometers south of the capital. The country's economy is essentially based on tourism and horticulture. Its sea caves are of considerable naturalistic interest and the historic center and the remains of Roman domination are historically important.
Porto Cesareo is an Italian town of 6 194 inhabitants in the province of Lecce in Puglia. The tourist resort of Salento located on the Ionian coast of the Salento peninsula is 26.9 km from the provincial capital and is home to the Porto Cesareo Marine Protected Area and the Palude del Conte and Duna Costiera Regional Nature Reserve.
Procida is an Italian town of 10 303 inhabitants in the metropolitan city of Naples in Campania. The municipal territory entirely includes the islands of Procida and Vivara. The island of Procida has an area of 3.7 km². The extremely jagged perimeter measures about 16 km. The municipal area entirely covers the island of Procida and the nearby islet of Vivara, two islands in the Gulf of Naples belonging to the group of the Flegrean islands.
Punta Prisuddi is a seaside town in the municipality of Porto Cesareo and in the extreme north-west of the province of Lecce, in Salento. The white sand beaches stretch out for several kilometers and behind them extend centuries-old dunes, covered by the typical Mediterranean vegetation of Salento. The raising of the seabed has generated a humid area that has produced a particular habitat for the establishment of a particular flora and fauna.
Rialto is a scattered Italian town of 563 inhabitants in the province of Savona in Liguria. It was the financial and commercial heart of the city. Rialto is known for its prominent markets as well as for the monumental Rialto Bridge across the Grand Canal. it was one of the busiest streets in this area and also a popular hangout place too.
Saint-Rhémy-en-Bosses is a scattered Italian town of 337 inhabitants in the upper valley of the Gran San Bernardo, in the northwestern Valle d'Aosta. The function of the inhabited center closest to the hill on the southern Alpine side has characterized Saint-Rhémy over the centuries. The Latin toponym is Endracinum: in Roman times an important mansion stood on the spot to control the road, while the villa of the dominus Baucius stood not far from the artery, on the hill.
San Fele is an Italian town of 2 800 inhabitants in the province of Potenza , in Basilicata . Historically it comes from the fiefdom corresponding to the Vitalba Valley , together with Rionero in Vulture , Monticchio , Sant'Andrea, Montemarcone, Montesirico, Rapone. San Giustino de Jacobis is known for being born here and for the presence in its territory of one of the oldest and most mysterious sanctuaries in Basilicata : that of Santa Maria di Pierno.
San Severino Lucano is an Italian town of 1 497 inhabitants in the province of Potenza, in Basilicata, located in the Pollino National Park. This municipality, together with its hamlets, marks the entrance to the heart of the Pollino Massif on the northeast side, in a particularly happy position due to the presence of numerous waterways, the main one being the Frido stream, from which springs, in the homonymous valley surmounted by the cliff on which the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Pollino sta
Santorso is an Italian town of 5 660 inhabitants in the province of Vicenza in Veneto. Located at the foot of Mount Summano in a sunny position, it is 4 km from Piovene Rocchette and 4 km from Schio. It was entirely rebuilt during the 9th century, during the Carolingian age. Later, bishop Anselm of Aosta further renovated the church, introducing a basilica plan with three naves with wooden trusses. These were replaced by Gothic cross vaults in the 15th century.