Burg Rheinstein, 55413 Trechtingshausen, Germany
About Rheinstein Castle
Rheinstein Castle was constructed in about 1317. Rheinstein Castle possesses a working drawbridge and portcullis, which are typical of medieval castle architecture. Rheinstein's courtyard is known as the Burgundy Garden after the Burgundy grape vine growing there. The vine, which is approximately 500 years old, still produces grapes.
Attractions near Rheinstein Castle
This monument is located in the Niederwald, Hesse, and was built between 1871 and 1883 to honor the Unification of Germany. The monument overlooks the Rhine Valley and the town of Bingen on the far side.
First mentioned around 1271 A.D, Sooneck Castle is located in the upper middle valley of the Rhine. The castle was destroyed in 1282 after a siege by the troops of King Rudolph I. After rebuilding it 1346, it was destroyed again during the War of the Palatine Succession in 1689 by troops of King Louis XIV of France. The current structure was built between 1834 and 1861 as a hunting lodge.
Beleived to be built on top of a Roman fortification, the castle stands on top of hill above the town of Bingen am Rhein with an amazing panoramic view. Like many of the castles in the Rhine area, this castle too was destroyed and rebuilt many times over.
Pfalzgrafenstein Castle was a toll castle on the Pfalz Island in the River Rhine near Kaub, Germany. It worked in concert with Gutenfels Castle and the fortified town of Kaub on the right side of the river. Due to a dangerous cataract on the river's left, every vessel would have to use the fairway nearer to the right bank, thus floating downstream between the mighty fortress on the vessel's left and the town and castle on its right. A chain across the river drawn between those two fortifications
The Lorelei also spelled Loreley in German, is a 132 m (433 ft) high slate rock on the bank of the River Rhine in the Rhine Gorge at Sankt Goarshausen in Germany. The Loreley Amphitheatre on top of the rock is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The translation of the name Loreley is: 'murmur rock' or 'murmuring rock'. The heavy currents and a small waterfall in the area created a murmuring sound, and this combined with the special echo the rock produces to act as a sort of amplifier, giving the rock
It is a castle above the town of St. Goarshausen and was first built around 1371 by Count William II. The castle stands on a ledge looking downstream from the riverside at St. Goar. It was bombarded in 1806 by Napoleon and rebuilt in 1898. It is privately owned and not open to visitors.
Where is Rheinstein Castle
Discover more attractions in Rhineland-Palatinate, where Rheinstein Castle is located