Kehrsitenstrasse 15, 6362 Stansstad, Switzerland
About Festung Fürigen
The Fürigen fortress was built as a rock and was part of the Swiss Reduit defense system in World War II. The building, built-in 1942, was abandoned by the army in 1987 and opened in 1991 as one of the first more modern fortress museums in Switzerland. In 1987 the fortress was abandoned by the army. Today it is one of four exhibition houses in the Nidwalden Museum. The rooms and facilities are largely from the time it was built.
Attractions near Festung Fürigen
Nidwaldner Museum has a collection of objects and works of art that document the art and cultural history of the canton. The museum, like many regional museums, was created at the instigation of the local historical association. The basis of the museum is the collection, the maintenance of which is part of the house's task as a social educational mandate. At three locations, Winkelriedhaus and pavilion, salt store , Fürigen fortress , the Nidwalden Museum shows themed special exhibitions, solo
The Bürgenstock is a mountain in Switzerland located partway along the shore of Lake Lucerne. Bürgenstock is also a resort located at 874 m a.s.l. on the same mountain. The lookout point at the summit of the Bürgenstock, the Hammetschwand, offers an extensive view, for the mountain is almost entirely surrounded by Lake Lucerne.
The Lopper, a mountain in the Swiss canton of Nidwalden, is a southeastern branch of the Pilatus. The Lopper forms a narrow peninsula to the Vierwaldstätter and Alpnachersee. Its ridge reaches a height of 961 m in the Haslihorn. Its flanks are unstable and drop steeply on both sides up to 500 meters to the lakes. It was one of the beautiful destinations in this area and also a good trekking destination too.
The Winkelried Monument is a monument to Arnold Winkelried on the village square of Stans, Canton of Nidwalden, Switzerland. The location between the church and the town hall underlines the importance of the monument. A group of three figures in Carrara marble is depicted. The Winkelried Monument represents the attempt to capture a heroic gesture in a harmonious, classicist triangular shape. This represented a new form of the war memorial, which however remained without a successor.
The Bürgenstock Funicular is a funicular railway in the canton of Nidwalden, Switzerland. The line links the landing stage at Kehrsiten-Bürgenstock, served by the regular passenger boats of the Schifffahrtsgesellschaft des Vierwaldstättersees, with the Bürgenstock resort and its famous hotels. The funicular was opened in 1888 and was originally a water-ballast funicular with an Abt rack braking rail. The funicular is electric and automatic, but until the closure in 2011, it still used the origin
The Alpnachersee is not an independent lake, but a branch of the Vierwaldstättersee. It lies in the two cantons of Nidwalden and Obwalden and is around 4.8 km long and 1.4 km wide. The southern flank of the Pilatus massif borders the northern bank. In particular, the Lopper slides like a bolt between the Alpnachersee and the Horwerbucht of the Vierwaldstättersee. The south-east bank mostly rises steeply to the Mueterschwanderberg or to the Rotzberg with the Rotzberg castle ruins.
Where is Festung Fürigen
Discover more attractions in Nidwalden, where Festung Fürigen is located