Am Neuen Palais, 14469 Potsdam, Germany
About New Palace
The New Palace is situated on the Sanssouci park's western side in Potsdam, Germany. It was built in 1769 and considered to be the last grand Prussian baroque palace. The palace was built in varying forms of Baroque architecture and decoration. The building of the palace commenced in 1763, at the end of the Seven Years' War, to celebrate Prussia’s success.
Attractions near New Palace
Sanssouci was the summer palace of Frederick the Great, King of Prussia. The palace's name emphasizes this; it is a French phrase (sans Souci), which translates as "without concerns", meaning "without worries" or "carefree", symbolizing that the palace was a place for relaxation rather than a seat of power.
Nauener Gate or Nauener Tor is one of three preserved gates built in 1755 in Potsdam, Germany. It is the first example of the influence of English Gothic Revival architecture in Continental Europe. The first Nauener Tor was built around 1720 about 400 metres away from the current site. The second gate was built in 1733 at the current site. In 1755 the gate was rebuilt in its current form. Today the three gates are connected by a promenade.
The Roman Catholic Church of St. Peter is located in the center of Potsdam. The current church building was built in 1870 and served both the Potsdam parishioners and the Catholic soldiers stationed in the city.
Holländisches Viertel or the Dutch Quarter is a neighborhood in Potsdam that includes 134 of red Dutch brick buildings; unplastered, with white seams, shuttered windows, and sometimes, sweeping gables. It was built in 1740 for Dutch craftsmen who were invited to come to Potsdam by King Frederick Wilhelm I.
Museum Barberini, located in Potsdam, Germany, exhibits a wide range of works from the Old Masters to contemporary art, emphasizing impressionist painting. The museum was founded in 2017 by Hasso Plattner, and the exhibition is centered around works from his collection.
Where is New Palace
Discover more attractions in Brandenburg, where New Palace is located