Castle Sinclair Girnigoe
Wick KW1 4QT, UK
About Castle Sinclair Girnigoe
Castle Sinclair Girnigoe is located about 3 miles north of Wick on the east coast of Caithness, Scotland. It is considered to be one of the earliest seats of Clan Sinclair. It comprises the ruins of two castles: the 15th-century Castle Girnigoe; and the early 17th-century Castle Sinclair. The ruins sits upon a rocky promontory jutting out into Sinclair Bay.
Attractions near Castle Sinclair Girnigoe
Duncansby Head is the most northeasterly part of the British mainland. The point is marked by Duncansby Head Lighthouse, and Duncansby Stacks, prominent sea stacks just off the coast.
The Castle of Mey was built between 1566 and 1572, possibly on the site of an earlier fortification, by George Sinclair, 4th Earl of Caithness. The castle was used as an officers' rest home during the Second World War.
Dunrobin Castle is a stately home in Sutherland, and the family seat of the Earl of Sutherland and the Clan Sutherland. Dunrobin's origins lie in the Middle Ages, but most of the present building and the gardens were added by Sir Charles Barry between 1835 and 1850. Some of the original building is visible in the interior courtyard, despite a number of expansions and alterations that made it the largest house in the north of Scotland. After being used as a boarding school for seven years, it is
Smoo Cave is a large combined sea cave and freshwater cave. The cave was formed along two geological lines of weakness by a combination of erosion from the sea and an inland underground stream which has formed the innermost chambers. The cave can be thought of as two caves formed by different mechanisms which have joined together over time.
Brodie Castle is a well-preserved Z plan castle. Architecturally, the castle has a central keep with two 5-story towers on opposing corners. The interior of the castle is also well preserved, containing fine antique furniture, oriental artifacts, and painted ceilings, largely dating from the 17th–19th centuries.
Cape Wrath is the most north-westerly point in mainland Britain. The cape is separated from the rest of the mainland by the Kyle of Durness inlet and consists of 107 square miles (280 square kilometres) of moorland wilderness known as the Parph. The first road was built in 1828 by the lighthouse commission across the Parph/Durness. This road connects a passenger ferry that crosses the Kyle of Durness with the buildings on the peninsula.
Where is Castle Sinclair Girnigoe
Discover more attractions in Highland Council, where Castle Sinclair Girnigoe is located
Highland is a council area in the Scottish Highlands and is the largest local government area in the United Kingdom. Though relatively populous for a Scottish council area, it is also sparsely populated. At 9.0 per km2 in 2012, the population density is less than one seventh of Scotland's as a whole.