Ardross St, Inverness IV3 5NN, UK
About Inverness Cathedral
The cathedral, constructed in 1869 is the northernmost cathedral in mainland Britain and was the first new Protestant cathedral to be completed in Great Britain since the Reformation. The cathedral is built of red Tarradale stone, with the nave columns of Peterhead granite.
Attractions near Inverness Cathedral
Inverness Castle sits on a cliff overlooking the River Ness in Inverness, Scotland. The red sandstone structure, displaying an early castellated style, is the work of a few nineteenth-century architects. There has been a castle on this site for many centuries. Until the 30th of March 2020 it housed Inverness Sheriff Court. In April 2017 the north tower of the castle was opened to the public as a view point. At present, only the castle grounds and the north tower are open to the public.
The Ness Islands are situated on the River Ness, connected by suspension briges. The islands are a walking spot for tourists and locals and are home to a number of imported species of trees.
The Kessock Bridge is a cable-stayed bridge across the Beauly Firth inlet. The bridge has a total length of 1,056 metres (3,465 ft) with a main span of 240 metres (787 ft). The four bridge towers dominate the Inverness skyline, especially at night when they are lit.
The Battle of Culloden was the final confrontation of the Jacobite rising of 1745. On 16 April 1746, the Jacobite army of Charles Edward Stuart was defeated by a British government force under William Augustus, Duke of Cumberland, on Drummossie Moor near Inverness in the Scottish Highlands. It was the last pitched battle fought on British soil.
The Clava cairn is a type of Bronze Age circular chamber tomb cairn. There are about 50 cairns of this type in an area round about Inverness. There are two sub-types, one typically consisting of a corbelled passage grave with a single burial chamber linked to the entrance by a short passage and covered with a cairn of stones. In the other sub-type an annular ring cairn encloses an apparently unroofed area with no formal means of access from the outside.
The Culloden Viaduct, known also as the Nairn Viaduct or the Clava Viaduct is a railway viaduct on the Highland Main Line. It was opened in 1898 as part of the Inverness and Aviemore Direct Railway. The 29 span viaduct crosses the wide valley of the River Nairn. At 1800 ft (549 m) in length, it is the longest masonry viaduct in Scotland.
Where is Inverness Cathedral
Discover more attractions in Highland, where Inverness Cathedral is located
Highland is a council area in the Scottish Highlands and is the largest local government area in the United Kingdom. Though relatively populous for a Scottish council area, it is also sparsely populated. At 9.0 per km2 in 2012, the population density is less than one seventh of Scotland's as a whole.