20 Attractions to Explore Near National Kandawgyi Gardens
The National Kandawgyi Botanical Gardens is a 177-hectare botanical garden located in the Alpine town of Pyin U Lwin, Burma, situated at an elevation of 1000 metres and 69 km by road from Mandalay. The current official name is National Kandawgyi Garden. It was one of the key attraction in this area and a lot of tourists visits this place every year.
Shwenandaw Monastery is a historic Buddhist monastery located near Mandalay Hill, Mandalay Region, Myanmar. It was built in 1878 by King Thibaw Min. The monastery is known for its teak carvings of Buddhist myths, which adorn its walls and roofs. The monastery is built in the traditional Burmese architectural style. Shwenandaw Monastery is the single remaining major original structure of the original Royal Palace today.
Kuthodaw Pagoda is a Buddhist stupa, located at the foot of Mandalay Hill in Mandalay, Myanmar. It was built during the reign of King Mindon Min who had the pagoda built as part of the traditional foundations of the new royal city of Mandalay in 1857. Kuthodaw and Sandamuni Pagodas are home to the world’s largest books, consisting of hundreds of inscribed standing stone pages.
The Sandamuni pagoda in Mandalay is known for its large golden zedi, its hundreds of shrines containing inscribed marble slabs and the largest iron Buddha image in Burma, the Sandamani, after which it is named. The pagoda was built as a memorial to crown Prince Kanaung, who was murdered in 1866 by two of King Mindon Min’s sons, who were unhappy not to be the first in line to become the next King. The bodies of the crown Prince and three of his sons who were also killed were entombed on the Sanda
Mandalay Hill which towers above the city and the flat plain below. Virtually all visitors and pilgrims to Mandalay either climb the 1,729 steps of the covered southern stairway with its magnificent guardian chinthe at the entry, use stairways on the other sides or use easier means and take the escalator, cars or buses to the top. From its top, and from several way-stations along the ascent, one has a magnificent panorama of the city, the old Royal Palace and Fortress, as well as the Ayeyarwady
Yadanabon Zoological Gardens is a zoo, which is situated in Mandalay, Myanmar. It plays an important role in the conservation program of the highly endangered Burmese Roofed Turtle. It was located at the bottom of Mandalay Hill. There are nearly 300 animals, which include elephant, tigers and leopards. Yadanabon Zoo participates in the breeding program of the highly endangered Burmese Roofed Turtle.
The Mandalay Royal Palace is the last Palace built by the Burmese Royals. On the large complex are dozens of buildings including audience halls, throne halls, a monastery, a watchtower, a court building, a tooth relic building, and a library where the Buddhist scriptures were kept. It was one of the renowned structure in this region and is also a famous place among tourists.
The Mahamuni Buddha Temple is one of the popular Buddhist temples and is considered as a major pilgrimage site and located in the region of Mandalay in Burma. This temple is home to one of the ancient Buddha images and was believed to be originated from the ancient kingdom of Arakan. The Mahamuni Buddha Image is also known as The Great Sage and holds quite an importance in the lives of people around Mandalay.
The pagoda was built by King Pagan Min in 1847, on the site of his former summer house where he used to live as a prince of the royal family before he became king in 1846 and ascended the throne in Amarapura. The pagoda houses a Buddha statue that was brought from India in 1839. The Buddhist monastery situated around the pagoda is called Ein Daw Yar Monastery. Standing 35M tall the pagoda is covered in goldleaf which makes for a stunning sight on a sunny day.
Shweinbin Monastery is a Buddhist monastery in Mandalay, Burma, built in the tradition of Burmese teak architecture. The monastery was built in 1895 by a Sino-Burmese merchant married to a Burmese woman of royal extraction. The monastery's construction strictly adheres to traditional rules of Burmese monastic architecture and includes all of the designated pyatthat-crowned pavilions
The Kyauktawgyi Pagoda was built by King Mindon in 1853 on the model of the Ananda Temple at Pagan. It closely resembles the Ananda in exterior form but it falls short of the latter in construction and interior decoration. The pagoda was completed during 1878. The chief feature of the Kyauktawgyi Paya is a huge seated Buddha figure sculpted from a single block of pale green marble from the Sagyin quarry twelve miles north of Mandalay.
The U Bein bridge stretches across the Taungthaman lake in Myanmar. It might look like just another rickety wooden crossing, but this historic span is actually made of the remains of a royal palace. The construction was completed in 1851. The bridge was built at a slight curve and is supported by over a thousand wooden pillars that were hammered into the bottom of the shallow lake. It is truly an architectural and historical wonder in this area.
Nagayon Temple is a Buddhist temple in Amarapura, a former royal capital in Mandalay Region, Myanmar. The temple's exterior is known for its unusual design. The roof of the temple is draped by the naga Mucalinda, who protected the Buddha from the elements while achieving enlightenment.
Mahāgandhāyon Monastery, located in Amarapura, Myanmar, is the country's most prominent monastic college. The monastery, known for its strict adherence to the Vinaya, the Buddhist monastic code. he monastery was first established by Agatithuka Sayadaw. It was now one of the key attractions in this area.
Mingun Pahtodawgyi lies in Mingun. Sagaing Division. It is one of the famous monuments in the world. It was one of the big fours built by King Bodawpaya around the place. It was built on the fifth waxing day of Tabodwe of 1152 ME. around 1791. But it was left unfinished due to a prophesy that. once the pagoda was completed. the country would break.
Mingun Bell located in Mingun, Sagaing Region, near Mandalay and Irrawaddy River. It was the heaviest functioning bell in the world at several times in history. The weight of the bell is around 90,718 kilograms. The bell is uncracked and in good ringing condition. The bell does not have a clanger but is rung by striking the outer edge.
A beautiful Buddhist pagoda which was located in the heart of Sagaing which was built in the early 19th-century at the behest of King Bodawpaya Konbaung. This Pagoda is located several hundred feet from the Irrawaddy River, and the temple contains a marble footprint of the Buddha.
Kyauksein Pagoda, formally known as the Varocana Kyauksein Zedi, is a Buddhist pagoda located in the outskirts of Amarapura, Mandalay Region, Myanmar. The pagoda itself is covered over 10,000 long tons of jade, rising to a height of 75 feet 6 inches, and is reputed to be the world's first jade pagoda. It was now one of the famous places in this area and is also a historically important place.
The U Min Thonze Pagoda is another pagoda on Sagaing Hill, next to the Soon U Ponya Shin Pagoda and the Sagaing Buddha Cave. This Pagoda is one of the most striking complexes on the main summit of Sagaing. U Min means caves and Thonze means thirty. This pagoda consists of 45 beautiful gilt Buddha images in a crescent-shaped colonnade partially built into the side of Sagaing Hill. Each Buddha statue is unique, in different sizes and facial expressions. It was built by the revered monk Padugyi Tha
The Ava Bridge is a 16 span cantilever bridge between Ava and Sagaing, Mandalay Division, Burma. It was built by the British in 1934. The bridge was destroyed by the retreating British Army during World War II and was rebuilt in 1954 after Burmese independence. It was the only bridge to span the Irrawaddy River until recent times, when a spate of bridge construction has been carried out by the government including the new Irrawaddy Bridge.
The Maha Aung Mye Bonzan Monastery is a fine example of Burmese monastery architecture during the Konbaung dynasty. The monastery, also known as the Brick Monastery is a well-preserved building in ochre color. The very ornate structure is decorated with intricate stuccoed sculptures. It was built by Queen Me Nu, wife of King Bagyidaw of the Konbaung dynasty in 1818 as the residence of the Royal Abbott. It is also known as Me Nu Oak Kyaung which translates to Me Nu’s brick monastery.