Punakha Dzong - 4 Things to Know Before Visiting
About Punakha Dzong
Punakha Dzongkhag has been inextricably linked with momentous occasions in Bhutanese history. It served as the capital of the country from 1637 to 1907 and the first national assembly was hosted here in 1953. Punakha Dzong is not only the second oldest and second largest dzong but it also has one of the most majestic structures in the country.
Hotels near Punakha Dzong
Checkout accommodations closest to Punakha Dzong
Top Trips and Tours in Bhutan
Tours and activities in Bhutan that might be of interest to you
Attractions Near Punakha Dzong
6.3km from Punakha Dzong
It is famously known as the “Fertility Temple” and is mostly visited by several childless couples from in and around Punakha District. It has become a popular tourist destination with visitors flocking in from all across the world to witness the unusual traditional and cultural ceremonies performed here.
Dechen Phodrang Monastery
24.46km from Punakha Dzong
Dechen Phrodrang. meaning "Palace of Great Bliss". is a Buddhist monastery in Thimphu, Bhutan.The monastery contains a number of important historical Bhutanese artifacts including 12th-century paintings monitored by UNESCO and a noted statue of Shabdrung Ngawang Namgyal on the upper floor. In the downstairs chapel, there is a central Sakyamuni Buddha.
24.73km from Punakha Dzong
Tashichho Dzong was first constructed in 1216 A.D. by Lama Gyalwa Lhanangpa where Dechen Phodrang now stands above Thimphu. In 1641, Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal acquired it but finding it too small, he built another one, known as the lower Dzong. The dzong is located close to Thimphu town, next to the banks of the Wang Chhu River. It is an impressively large structure, surrounded by well-kept lawns and beautiful gardens.
24.9km from Punakha Dzong
The name Semtokha literally means “Atop a Demon” and the legend associated with the dzong’s construction tells us that it was built in order to subdue an evil spirit that was harassing travelers in the region.
National Library & Archives of Bhutan
25.21km from Punakha Dzong
National Library was first established in 1967 with a small collection of precious texts and was initially housed within the central tower of Tashichodzong. Later it moved to a building in the Changgangkha area of Thimphu. To provide a permanent home for the sacred religious books and manuscripts in the growing collection, construction of the present four-storeyed eight-cornered traditional building, which looks like the central tower temple of a Bhutanese Dzong, was initiated and was inaugurate
Clock Tower Square
25.3km from Punakha Dzong
Clock Tower Square is a square in Thimphu, Bhutan, and is the site of the famous tower with four clock faces. There are also many shops, hotels and restaurants surrounding the square.