20 Attractions to Explore Near Württemberg Mausoleum- Sepulchral Chapel on Württemberg hill
Built by King William I of Württemberg to house the remains his second wife, Catherine Pavlovna of Russia. The remains of William I, Catherine, and their daughter Maria Friederike Charlotte, are housed in the mausoleum.
Covers the history of the Mercedes-Benz brand and the brands associated with it. The museum contains more than 160 vehicles, some dating back to the very earliest days of the motorcar engine.
Spread in an area of about 30 hectares (0.30 km2), it houses around 11,500 animals from around the world composed of roughly 1,200 species and roughly 6000 plants from all climates. Wilhelma receives gorilla juveniles rejected by their mother and reared by the zookeepers. At age 2-3, the gorillas are sent back to their original zoo(s).
18th-century Baroque palace and is one of the last large city palaces built in Southern Germany. Public tours of the building are only permitted by special arrangement, as the building contains some government offices. The palace is located in Schlossplatz, the largest square in Stuttgart.
A 216.61 m (710.7 ft) telecommunications tower. It is the first telecommunications tower in the world constructed from reinforced concrete, and it is the prototype for many such towers worldwide.
The castle, dating back to the 10th century was originally surrounded by water. It was the residence of the Counts and later some Dukes of Württemberg. King Charles I of Württemberg and his wife Olga are buried beneath the castle church.
A 452-room palace complex of 18 buildings spread in 32 ha (79 acres). It is the largest palatial estate in Germany and is a combination of Baroque, Rococo, Neoclassical, and Empire style architecture.
One of the best-preserved monastery complex in Europe, surrounded by turreted walls and a tower gate. The monastery's narthex, called "the Paradise", is the oldest example of Gothic architecture in Germany.
Gothic Revival style fairy tale castle of Württemberg. The castle was inspired by the novel Lichtenstein (1826) by Wilhelm Hauff and was built in 1840–1842. The ruins of the medieval castle that inspired the novel are a few hundred meters away. The castle is located on an escarpment that marks the northwestern edge of the Swabian Alps.
With an overall length of 1,250 metres and a top height of 20 metres, the treetop walk meanders through the beech trees, firs and spruces of the mountain forest. There is a 40-metre-high, architecturally unique observation tower here that gives panoramic views of the forest.
Literally translated to "Blue pot", it is a spring that serves as the source of the river Blau. It is a drain for the Blau cave system, originating from a funnel-like shape with a depth of 21 metres (69 ft). The water's peculiarly blue color, varying in intensity depending on weather and flow, is the result of physical properties of the nanoscale limestone particles densely distributed in the water.
Ancestral seat of the imperial House of Hohenzollern. The third of three hilltop castles built on the site, it is located atop Mount Hohenzollern. The third, and current, castle was built between 1846 and 1867 as a family memorial by Hohenzollern descendant King Frederick William IV of Prussia. No member of the Hohenzollern family was in permanent or regular residence when it was completed.
The museum had more than 3,000 exhibits and an exhibition area of more than 50,000 m2 (540,000 sq ft), indoors and outdoors. It is the largest private museum in Europe. With a Tupolev Tu-144 on display since 2001 and Air France donating one of its retiring Concorde aircraft (F-BVFB), it is the only place where both supersonic passenger aircraft are shown. Both are fully accessible by the public.
Opened in 1865, it is one of the oldest zoos in Germany, having about 4.400 animals and 250 species. In 13 November 2010, 26 animals were killed and several animals suffered severe burns due to a fire at the zoo.
Second tallest church in the world, after Sagrada Familia in Barcelona with a steeple measuring 161.5 metres (530 ft). Visitors can climb the 768 steps that lead to the top of the minster's spire. At 143 m (469 ft) it gives a panoramic view of Ulm in Baden-Württemberg and Neu-Ulm in Bavaria and, in clear weather, a vista of the Alps. The final stairwell to the top is a tall, spiraling staircase that has barely enough room for one person.
Built in 1715 by Margrave Charles III William of Baden-Durlach, after a dispute with the citizens of his previous capital, Durlach. The city of Karlsruhe was planned with the tower of the palace at the center and 32 streets radiating out from it like spokes on a wheel, or ribs on a folding fan, so that a nickname for Karlsruhe in German is the "fan city"
Organizes special exhibitions and thematic events, conducts research and produces works on the effects of media, digitization, and globalization. The ZKM houses under one roof exhibition spaces, the research platform Hertz Lab, a library and a media library, thus combining research and production, exhibitions and events, archive and collection.
A former Benedictine monastery which was later used as barracks. The abbey church and the abbey library in the North wing of the abbey are open to the public, along with the the abbey museum, opened in 2006, located in the former guest rooms of the convent. The rest of the North wing and the adjoining buildings are now part of the University of Ulm.
Family estate of the Swabian Hohenzollern family, a cadet branch of the Hohenzollern family, from which the German Emperors and kings of Prussia came. It was the seat of government for the Princes of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen and it dominates the skyline of the town of Sigmaringen. The castle rises above the river Danube on a towering chalk projection. It is about 200 meters (660 ft) long and up to 35 meters (115 ft) above the river.
The castle ruins are among the most important Renaissance structures north of the Alps. It is located 80 meters (260 ft) up the northern part of the Königstuhl hillside and thereby dominates the view of the Heidelberg oldtown.