20 Attractions to Explore Near St. Philip's Church
A historic church at 142 Church Street in Charleston. this stuccoed brick church features an imposing tower designed in the Wren-Gibbs tradition. Three Tuscan pedimented porticoes contribute to this design to make a building of the highest quality and sophistication. It is the oldest European-American religious congregation in South Carolina.
A huge building that once housed an antebellum slave auction gallery constructed in 1859. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places for its role in Charleston's African-American history. Today, the building houses the Old Slave Mart Museum.
The Circular Congregational Church is a historic church at 150 Meeting Street in Charleston, South Carolina, United States, used by a congregation established in 1681. Its parish house, the Parish House of the Circular Congregational Church, is a highly significant Greek Revival architectural work by Robert Mills, and is recognized as a U.S. National Historic Landmark.
One of the peninsula's most visited parks, Waterfront Park opened in 1990 and offers fantastic views of the Charleston Harbor. Gardens, fountains, walking paths and plenty of park benches are availble on the property. The park is open daily.
A historic house museum at 87 Church Street in Charleston. Built-in 1772, it was home to Thomas Heyward, Jr., a signer of the United States Declaration of Independence, and was where George Washington stayed during his 1791 visit to the city. It is now owned and operated by the Charleston Museum.
The Unitarian Church in Charleston, home to a Unitarian Universalist congregation, is an historic church located at 4 Archdale Street in Charleston. It is "the oldest Unitarian church in the South" and is a National Historic Landmark.
one of the oldest Jewish congregations in the United States founded in 1749. The congregation is nationally significant as the place where ideas resembling Reform Judaism were first evinced. It meets in an architecturally significant 1840 Greek Revival synagogue located at 90 Hasell
The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charleston, located in Charleston, South Carolina. Designed by Brooklyn architect Patrick Keely in the Gothic Revival style, it opened in 1907.
Charleston, South Carolina’s old city jail has a long and haunting past that can still be explored today. was built in 1802 and served as the city jail from 1803 to 1939. The front interior of the jail still retains the original structure that was built in 1802, but the rest of the jail as it is today was built in 1855. Now it is one of the famous tourist spots in Charleston county.
This mansion is the largest residence in the area of Charleston and it boasts of having 35 rooms. The Calhoun Mansion gained its famous name when Williams died and left the home to Patrick Calhoun, grandson of former Vice President John C. Calhoun. By 1914, the mansion saw regular use as a hotel.
A public park located in peninsular Charleston, South Carolina. This park provides beautiful views of Fort Sumter and of the Charleston Harbor. The park features lots of grass space, shaded by beautiful old oak trees. The park has a gazebo in the center and features a rich display of history, including an impressive display of Civil War cannons, and several monuments and statues.
Marion Square is a green space in downtown Charleston. was established as a parade ground for the state arsenal under construction on the north side of the square. It is best known as the former Citadel Green. It is one of the famous hangout place in Charleston.
This is a historic house museum at 350 Meeting Street in Charleston built in 1803. It was nationally significant as a well-executed and preserved example of Adam style architecture. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973.
One of the oldest museums in the United States, located in the Wraggborough neighborhood in Charleston. Its highly regarded collection includes historic artifacts, natural history, decorative arts and two historic Charleston houses.
Located on the historic Charleston Harbor. It is home to more than ten thousand plants and animals. The largest exhibit in the zoo is the Great Ocean Tank, which extends from the first to the third floor of the Aquarium and is the deepest tank in North America. There are also so many wonders in and around this place.
The Gov. William Aiken House was built in 1820 at 48 Elizabeth Street, in the Wraggborough neighborhood of Charleston. The house is considered to be the best-preserved complex of antebellum domestic structures in Charleston.
Patriot's Point was a pre-war historical site which hosted a mock military base. It is now home for three museum ships which has a lot of exhibits which says about the past and is one of the famous landmark in the Charleston county.
Also known as the Ravenel Bridge which is a cable-stayed bridge over the Cooper River in South Carolina, USA, connecting downtown Charleston to Mount Pleasant. It was the third longest cable-stayed bridges in the Western Hemisphere.
One of the famous harbors in the United States which was located in Charleston county. Named in honor of the King of England, Charles II. This harbor is one of the tourist places which was important both historically and economically.