20 Attractions to Explore Near Sullivans Island
Sullivan's Island is a town and island in Charleston County. Sullivan's Island was the point of entry for approximately 40 percent of the 400,000 enslaved Africans brought to British North America; it has been likened to Ellis Island, the 19th-century reception point for immigrants in New York City. During the American Revolution, the island was the site of a major battle at Fort Sullivan on June 28, 1776, since renamed Fort Moultrie in honor of the American commander at the battle.
Fort Moultrie is a series of fortifications on Sullivan's Island, South Carolina, built to protect the city of Charleston. It is the only area of the National Park System where the entire 171-year history of American seacoast defense can be traced.
Fort Sumter is a sea fort in Charleston, South Carolina, notable for two battles, the first of which signified the start of the American Civil War. It was one of a number of special forts planned after the War of 1812, combining high walls and heavy masonry, and classified as Third System.
One of the famous harbors in the United States which was located in Charleston county. Named in honor of the King of England, Charles II. This harbor is one of the tourist places which was important both historically and economically.
Also known as the Ravenel Bridge which is a cable-stayed bridge over the Cooper River in South Carolina, USA, connecting downtown Charleston to Mount Pleasant. It was the third longest cable-stayed bridges in the Western Hemisphere.
One of the peninsula's most visited parks, Waterfront Park opened in 1990 and offers fantastic views of the Charleston Harbor. Gardens, fountains, walking paths and plenty of park benches are availble on the property. The park is open daily.
A huge building that once housed an antebellum slave auction gallery constructed in 1859. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places for its role in Charleston's African-American history. Today, the building houses the Old Slave Mart Museum.
A historic house museum at 87 Church Street in Charleston. Built-in 1772, it was home to Thomas Heyward, Jr., a signer of the United States Declaration of Independence, and was where George Washington stayed during his 1791 visit to the city. It is now owned and operated by the Charleston Museum.
This mansion is the largest residence in the area of Charleston and it boasts of having 35 rooms. The Calhoun Mansion gained its famous name when Williams died and left the home to Patrick Calhoun, grandson of former Vice President John C. Calhoun. By 1914, the mansion saw regular use as a hotel.
A public park located in peninsular Charleston, South Carolina. This park provides beautiful views of Fort Sumter and of the Charleston Harbor. The park features lots of grass space, shaded by beautiful old oak trees. The park has a gazebo in the center and features a rich display of history, including an impressive display of Civil War cannons, and several monuments and statues.
Located on the historic Charleston Harbor. It is home to more than ten thousand plants and animals. The largest exhibit in the zoo is the Great Ocean Tank, which extends from the first to the third floor of the Aquarium and is the deepest tank in North America. There are also so many wonders in and around this place.
A historic church at 142 Church Street in Charleston. this stuccoed brick church features an imposing tower designed in the Wren-Gibbs tradition. Three Tuscan pedimented porticoes contribute to this design to make a building of the highest quality and sophistication. It is the oldest European-American religious congregation in South Carolina.
The Circular Congregational Church is a historic church at 150 Meeting Street in Charleston, South Carolina, United States, used by a congregation established in 1681. Its parish house, the Parish House of the Circular Congregational Church, is a highly significant Greek Revival architectural work by Robert Mills, and is recognized as a U.S. National Historic Landmark.
The Charles Pinckney National Historic Site is a unit of the United States National Park Service, preserving a portion of Charles Pinckney's Snee Farm plantation and country retreat. It is a place that was blessed with natural beauty and is one of the main attractions in Charleston county.
one of the oldest Jewish congregations in the United States founded in 1749. The congregation is nationally significant as the place where ideas resembling Reform Judaism were first evinced. It meets in an architecturally significant 1840 Greek Revival synagogue located at 90 Hasell
The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charleston, located in Charleston, South Carolina. Designed by Brooklyn architect Patrick Keely in the Gothic Revival style, it opened in 1907.