Spynie Palace - 4 Things to Know Before Visiting
About Spynie Palace
Spynie Palace was the fortified residence of the Bishops of Moray, standing some two miles north of Elgin on the edge of Spynie Loch, a sea loch providing direct access and a safe anchorage. It was also the centre of a thriving settlement. Today the splendid ruins of the Palace remain, but the loch is only a shadow of its former self and the medieval town has disappeared.
Hotels near Spynie Palace
Hotels to stay near Spynie Palace
Top Trips and Tours in Scotland
Tours and activities in Scotland that might be of interest to you
Attractions Near Spynie Palace
1.14km from Spynie Palace
Loch Spynie is a small loch located between the towns of Elgin and Lossiemouth in Moray, Scotland. Close to Spynie Palace, the ancient home of the bishops of Moray, it is an important wildlife habitat which is protected as a Ramsar Site. It is a remnant of a great wetland that stretched from the western shore of the current loch to the mouth of the River Lossie and, at that time, many of the settlements along the Moray coast were actually islands in the Moray Firth.
Biblical Garden Elgin
2.89km from Spynie Palace
This beautiful garden stands in a fitting location a little north of Elgin Cathedral and on the opposite side of King Street. Beyond the gate is a remarkable three acre space, a "garden of repose" in which it is visitors can relax and enjoy the natural world. And, if they wish, follow the complex web of biblical references contained within both the planting and the hard landscaping.
2.97km from Spynie Palace
Elgin Cathedral, known as the ‘Lantern of the North’, is one of Scotland’s most beautiful medieval cathedrals. The cathedral was once richly carved and adorned with stained glass and painted decoration. A fine collection of architectural fragments hints at the building’s lost beauty, while documentary evidence sheds light on religious life at Elgin.
3.21km from Spynie Palace
Elgin Museum is Scotland's oldest independent museum, located in Elgin, Moray, Scotland. Its collections cover area fossils and geology, archaeology, ethnography, art and local history. Opened in 1843, it is one of the oldest independent museums in the country. The museum is run by The Moray Society. Its fossil collection is classed as a Recognised Collection by Museums Galleries Scotland.
Duke of Gordon's Monument
3.61km from Spynie Palace
The Duke of Gordon's Monument is a commemorative monument on Lady Hill near Elgin, Scotland. Built in honour of George Gordon, the 5th Duke of Gordon, the monument takes the form of a Tuscan column, 80 feet high, and 6 feet 9 inches wide at the base. The column is hollow, with a spiral staircase leading up the shaft which gives access to the top. It was erected in 1839, and a statue of Gordon, sculpted by Thomas Goodwillie, was installed on the top in 1855. It is designated as a Category A liste
4.42km from Spynie Palace
Duffus Castle is a Norman motte and bailey castle augmented by a later stone keep. The original Norman motte and bailey fortress was composed of an impressive earthwork mound standing out from the low-lying Leigh of Moray, surrounded by a timber palisade. The castle was substantially rebuilt in the thirteenth century including construction of the large Keep seen today. Duffus was attacked on numerous occasions but remained in use until the eighteenth century.