Callendar Park - 4 Things to Know Before Visiting
Falkirk FK1 1YR, UK
Contents in This Page
About Callendar Park
Callendar Park is the jewel in the crown of parks within the Falkirk area, covering over 170 acres and housing the magnificent Callendar House. The woodlands and gardens host a number of interesting historical features including an Arboretum, Ornamental Gardens and a family Mausoleum. The Park is a historically-important designed landscape, listed in The Inventory of Gardens and Designed Landscapes in Scotland.
Attractions Near Callendar Park
Callendar House dates from the 14th century. It is set in the nationally-important historic designed landscape of Callendar Park, which also contains a section of the Antonine Wall World Heritage Site. During the 19th century, it was redesigned and extended in the style of a French Renaissance château fused with elements of Scottish baronial architecture. However, the core of the building is a 14th-century tower house.
The Falkirk Steeple is a landmark which dominates the skyline of Falkirk in central Scotland. The present structure on the High Street was built in 1814, and replaced an earlier steeple dating from the late 17th century, which itself replaced a still earlier structure. The Falkirk Steeple is protected as a category A listed building. A stylised image of the steeple appears on the crest of Falkirk Football Club.
Sir John De Graeme was William Wallace’s finest knight and was killed in action during the Battle of Falkirk on July 22nd, 1298. His body was carried from the battlefield by William Wallace himself to Faw Kirk Graveyard where he was laid to rest. Over the years his resting place has deteriorated as a result of exposure to the great Scottish weather and vandalism but in 2011 thanks to the Scottish Government’s town centre regeneration fund it was ordered to be restored in to a lasting memorial.
Falkirk Old & St. Modan's Parish Church also known as "Falkirk Trinity Church" is a congregation of the Church of Scotland in Falkirk, central Scotland. The medieval Old Parish Church is located in the centre of Falkirk, and may have been founded as early as the 7th century. The church was largely rebuilt in the 19th century, though the 18th-century steeple was retained. The church building is protected as a category A listed building.
The Helix Park is The Home of the Kelpies - the largest equine sculptures in the world. Located between Falkirk and Grangemouth, it was created as a space for the communities in the Falkirk area to come together. It covers over 350 hectares of green space and fun for visitors of all ages to enjoy the outdoors. Some of the facilities include a lagoon for water activities, splash fountains, café and adventure play zone.
The Falkirk Tunnel, located just behind Falkirk High Station, was created nearly 200 years ago and was originally used for transporting coal, today it carries the Union Canal beneath Prospect Hill in Falkirk and connects Falkirk to the heart of Edinburgh. The Falkirk Tunnel is 630 meters long, 18ft-wide, 19ft-high and has a 5ft-wide towpath.
Where is Callendar Park
Discover More Attractions in Falkirk, Where Callendar Park Is Located
Falkirk is one of 32 unitary authority council areas of Scotland. It was formed on 1 April 1996 by way of the Local Government etc. Act 1994 from the exact boundaries of Falkirk District, one of three parts of the Central region created in 1975, which was abolished at that time. Prior to the 1975 reorganisation, the majority of the council area was part of the historic county of Stirlingshire, and a small part, namely Bo'ness and Blackness, was part of the former county of West Lothian.