Alfriston Clergy House
Alfriston Clergy House, The Tye, Alfriston, Polegate BN26 5TL, UK
About Alfriston Clergy House
This 14th-century timber-framed house was famously the very first historic property purchased by the National Trust, in 1896. It is what we call a Wealden type of building, that is, with a projecting hall, flush with the first floor wings. The house is a 14th-century Wealden hall house. Although the name reflects the fact that the parish priest and his housekeeper used it, the house was originally built as a farmer's house.
Attractions near Alfriston Clergy House
Drusillas Park offers a fun-tastic day out that includes hundreds of exotic animals, from monkeys and meerkats to penguins and pandas. There are many hands-on activities, an adventure play area separated for different age groups, an indoor soft play centre, and the Safari Express train ride that runs daily.
The Long Man is Europe’s largest portrayal of the human form, dating back to at least 1710 when the surveyor John Rowley illustrated the figure. The Long Man is 235 feet tall, holds two "staves", and is designed to look in proportion when viewed from below.
Friston Forest is within the South Downs National Park between Lulington Heath National Nature Reserve and Seven Sisters Country Park. It is the largest area of recently established forest in South East England. It's a great place to visit, with lots of picnic tables and BBQs and a children's play area.
Charleston, in East Sussex, is a property associated with the Bloomsbury group, that is open to the public. It was the country home of Vanessa Bell and Duncan Grant and is an example of their decorative style within a domestic context, representing the fruition of more than sixty years of artistic creativity.
This quiet pebble beach is dominated by the white chalk cliffs of the Seven Sisters just to the east. It sits at the mouth of the meandering Cuckmere river. This quiet pebble beach is dominated by the white chalk cliffs of the Seven Sisters just to the east. It sits at the mouth of the meandering Cuckmere river. It is a popular tourist destination with an estimated 350,000 visitors per year, where they can engage in long walks, or water activities on the river.
Seaford Museum is a beautiful museum which contains objects, archives and displays relating to the history of the local area.The Museum is housed in Martello Tower no. 74, which is situated at the eastern end of Seaford seafront. There is a deceptive 5,000 square feet of display area, which includes the roof with cannon, entrance floor with museum shop, the lower floor of the tower and the covered dry moat area.
Where is Alfriston Clergy House
Discover more attractions in East Sussex, where Alfriston Clergy House is located