Attractions to explore nearby Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo - With photos & details

Get Travalour for free on Google Play

Attractions to explore nearby Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

Chiesa del Gesù NuovoPiazza del Gesù Nuovo, 2, 80134 Napoli NA, Italy

The church of Gesù Nuovo, or of the Trinity Major, is a basilica church in Naples, located in piazza del Gesù Nuovo in front of the obelisk of the Immaculate Conception and the basilica of Santa Chiara.  It is one of the most important and largest churches in the city, among the highest concentrations of Baroque painting and sculpture, on which some of the most influential artists of the Neapolitan school worked.  Inside is the body of St. Giuseppe Moscati, canonized by Pope John Paul II in 1987

10
Complesso Monumentale di Santa Chiara0.08 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

The basilica of Santa Chiara, or the monastery of Santa Chiara , is a monumental building of worship in Naples , one of the most important and largest monastic complexes in the city. It is the largest Gothic- Angevin basilica in the city, characterized by a monastery that includes four monumental cloisters, archaeological excavations in the surrounding area, and several other rooms in which the homonymous Opera Museum is housed.

Piazza Dante0.23 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

A huge pubic square which was located in Naples, Italy, named after the poet Dante Alighieri. The square assumed its current structure in the second half of the eighteenth century, with the intervention of the architect Luigi Vanvitelli; the "Foro Carolino" commissioned by him was to constitute a monument celebrating the sovereign Carlo III di Borbone.

San Domenico Maggiore0.27 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

The basilica of San Domenico Maggiore is a monumental church in Naples located in an almost central position with respect to the lower decumanus , in the square of the same name.  Commissioned by Charles II of Anjou and built between 1283 and 1324, it became the motherhouse of the Dominicans in the kingdom of Naples and the church of the Aragonese nobility.  The basilica, a splendid example of Gothic-Angevin architecture, together with its adjacent convent.

Museo Cappella Sansevero0.34 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

The Sansevero Chapel is one of the most important museums in Naples. Located near Piazza San Domenico Maggiore, this church, now deconsecrated, is adjacent to the family palace of the princes of Sansevero, separated from it by an alley once surmounted by a suspension bridge which allowed family members to access the place privately of worship.

Via Toledo0.56 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

Via Toledo is an ancient street and one of the most important shopping thoroughfares in the city of Naples, Italy. The street was around 2 kilometers long and  It was created by Spanish viceroy Pedro de Toledo, 2nd Marquis of Villafranca in 1536.  The street is one of the most important tourist destinations of the city, with a large number of religious and monumental buildings, connecting two important city squares.

San Gregorio Armeno0.58 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

The church of San Gregorio Armeno is a monumental church in Naples located in the homonymous street, between the main and lower decumanus of the ancient center.  Together with the adjacent monastic complex, it constitutes one of the oldest, largest, and most important religious buildings in the city. The religious complex is located along the current Via San Gregorio Armeno, is the ancient Nostriana road which took its name from Bishop Nostriano who in the 5th century founded the first hospital

Via San Gregorio Armeno0.59 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

Via San Gregorio, Armeno is a street in the historic center of Naples, famous for tourism for the artisan shops of nativity scenes.  The street which is popularly called San Liguoro. Today via San Gregorio Armeno is known all over the world as the exhibition center of the craft shops located here that now all year round make statuettes for nativity scenes, both canonical and original.

Naples National Archaeological Museum0.71 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

The National Archaeological Museum of Naples is an Italian state museum. By virtue of its rich and valuable heritage of works of art and artifacts, arranged over an exhibition area of ​​12,650 m², it is considered one of the most important archaeological museums in the world, if not the most important in terms of art Roman.  The museum is made up of private collections acquired or donated to the city over the centuries, such as the Borgia, Santangelo, Stevens, Spinelli collections.

Via dei Tribunali0.76 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

The major decumanus , currently called Via dei Tribunali, is a street in the historic center of Naples, Italy. It is, together with the lower decumanus and the upper decumanus , one of the three most important streets of ancient Greek urbanism. The street, the most important urbanist of the three, constitutes the nerve center of the decumanos of Naples.

Pio Monte della Misericordia0.88 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

The Pio Monte Della Misericordia is a monumental building in Naples located in Piazza Riario Sforza, along the major decumanus .  Born as a lay charitable institution, one of the oldest and most active in the city, it houses a seventeenth-century church where the canvas of the Seven Works of Mercy by Caravaggio is kept, one of the most important paintings of the seventeenth century, and other prestigious paintings of the same century belonging to the Neapolitan school.

Castel Nuovo0.98 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

Castel Nuovo, also called Maschio Angioino or Mastio Angioino, is a historic medieval and Renaissance castle, as well as one of the symbols of the city of Naples.  The castle dominates the scenic Piazza Municipio and is the seat of the Neapolitan Society of Homeland History and of the Naples Committee of the Institute for the history of the Italian Risorgimento, housed in the premises of the SNSP. The civic museum is also located in the complex.

Galleria Umberto I1.00 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

The Umberto I Gallery is a shopping arcade built in Naples between 1887 and 1890 . It is dedicated to Umberto I of Italy , as a tribute to the King and in memory of his generous presence during the cholera epidemic of 1884, which showed the need for a "Rehabilitation" of the city.   It was meant to combine businesses, shops, cafes and social life — public space — with private space in the apartments on the third floor.

Donnaregina Contemporary Art Museum - Madre Museum1.04 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

The Donnaregina Contemporary Art Museum is located in the historic Palazzo Donnaregina, in via Luigi Settembrini in Naples.  The museum has a total area of ​​7,200 m 2 of which 2660 m 2 are intended for the exhibition areas, is equipped with a dedicated bookshop, a library, educational workshops, an auditorium, a restaurant, and a cafeteria.

San Carlo Theatre1.11 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

The Real Teatro di San Carlo is an opera house in Naples, one of the most famous and prestigious in the world. Founded in 1737, it is the oldest opera house in Europe and in the world to be still active, the first Italian theater to establish a school for dance; anticipates the Teatro Alla Scala in Milan by 41 years and the Teatro La Fenice in Venice by 55 years. Originally, it could accommodate 3285 spectators, then reduced to 1386 following the safety regulations.

Castel Sant'Elmo1.13 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

Castel Sant'Elmo is a medieval castle, used as a museum, located on the Vomero hill near San Martino in Naples. It was once called Paturcium and stands in the place where there was, starting from the 10th century, a church dedicated to Sant'Erasmo. This imposing building, partly derived from the rock, originates from a tower observation Normancalled Belforte .

Royal Palace of Naples1.20 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

The Royal Palace of Naples is a historic building located in Piazza del Plebiscito, in the historic center of Naples, where the main entrance is located: the whole complex, including the gardens and the San Carlo theater, also overlooks Piazza Trieste and Trento, Piazza del Municipio and via Acton.  It was the historical residence of the Spanish viceroys for over one hundred and fifty years, of the Bourbon dynasty from 1734 to 1861.

Piazza del Plebiscito1.30 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

Piazza del Plebiscito is a square in Naples located at the end of via Toledo, as soon as you pass Piazza Trieste e, Trento.  Located in the historic center, between the seafront and via Toledo, with an area of ​​about 25,000 square meters, the square is one of the largest in the city and in Italy and for this reason, it is the most used for large events.

Basilica Reale Pontificia San Francesco da Paola1.40 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

The royal papal basilica of San Francesco di Paola is a minor basilica in Naples, located in Piazza del Plebiscito, in the historic center; it is considered one of the most important examples of neoclassical architecture in Italy.  The church is reminiscent of the Pantheon in Rome. The façade is fronted by a portico resting on six columns and two Ionic pillars. Inside, the church is circular with two side chapels. The dome is 53 meters high.

Cimitero Delle Fontanelle1.68 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

The Fontanelle cemetery is an ancient cemetery in the city of Naples, located in via Fontanelle. Named in this way due to the presence of water sources in ancient times, the cemetery houses about 40,000 remains of people, victims of the great plague of 1656 and cholera of 1836.  The cemetery is also known because a particular rite took place there, called the rite of the "pezzentelle souls", which involved the adoption and arrangement in exchange for protection of a skull, to which it correspond

Catacombe di San Gennaro2.01 KMs away from Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo

The Catacombs of San Gennaro are ancient underground cemetery areas dating back to the II-III century and represent the most important monument of Christianity in Naples.  The catacombs lie under the Rione Sanità neighborhood of Naples, sometimes called the "Valley of the Dead".The site is now easily identified by the large church of Madre del Buon Consiglio.