Attractions to explore nearby Phlegraean Fields
The Campi Flegrei is a large area located in the Gulf of Pozzuoli, west of the city of Naples and its gulf. The area has been known since ancient times for its lively volcanic activity. It is an ancient supervolcano. The area also features bradyseismic phenomena, which are most evident at the Macellum of Pozzuoli: bands of boreholes left by marine molluscs on marble columns show that the level of the site in relation to sea level has varied.
The solfatara of Pozzuoli is one of the forty volcanoes that make up the Campi Flegrei; it is located about three kilometers from the center of the city of Pozzuoli. It is an ancient but still active volcanic crater in the quiescent state that for nearly two millennia retains an activity of fumarole d ' sulfur dioxide, jets of mud boiling, and high soil temperature. The Solfatara today represents an outlet for the magma present under the Campi Flegrei, thanks to which it is possible to maintain
Located in the center of the city of Rome is the largest amphitheater in the world. Able to hold an estimated number of spectators between 50,000 and 87,000, it is the most important Roman amphitheater, as well as the most impressive monument of ancient Rome that has come down to us. Inserted in 1980 in the list of World Heritage Sites by UNESCO, together with all the historic center of Rome.
Nìsida is a small island belonging to the archipelago of the Flegrean islands, located at the extreme offshoot of the Posillipo hill, in the locality of Coroglio. From an administrative point of view it is part of Bagnoli, a district of the municipality of Naples. The island is not accessible as it houses the Juvenile Penal Institute of Naples, and its small port towards Coroglio was used by NATO until its transfer. In fact, until 2012 there was the Allied Maritime Command, which moved to Englan
Also called the Garden of Remembrance, the park has splendid views over the Bay of Naples, from Cape Miseno to the Sorrento Peninsula, as well as the island of Procida, Ischia, and Capri. A series of terraces overlooking the whole Gulf of Naples provides the park with a unique array of impressive vistas, including views of the coasts of Amalfi and Sorrento, Mount Vesuvius, Gaiola Bay, Pollione'S amphitheater, Trentaremi Bay, Nisida island.
The Aragonese Castle is a fortification that stands on a tidal island of trachytic rock on the eastern side of the island of Ischia, connected by a 220 m long brick bridge to the ancient Borgo di Celsa , known as Ischia Ponte. The islet on which the castle was built derives from a syntactic eruption that occurred over 300,000 years ago. It reaches a height of 113 meters above sea level and covers an area of approx56 000 m².
The lake Averno is a lake volcano which is located in the town of Pozzuoli, precisely between the fraction of Lucrino and the archaeological site of Cuma, the city of Naples metropolitan area. The lake is home to a settled community of coots along with great grebes, mallards, and other ducks. Near the lake, there is the Temple of Apollo. The lake is roughly circular, measuring 2 km in circumference and 60 m.
The island of Gaiola is one of the smaller islands of Naples ; it is located opposite the coast of Posillipo , in the submerged park of Gaiola. It is located offshore in the Gulf of Naples, and a part of the volcanic Campanian Archipelago of the Tyrrhenian Sea. The island is at the center of the Parco Sommerso di Gaiola or 'Underwater Park of Gaiola,' a protected marine reserve. The island is now the property of the government of the Campania region, and a protected area within it.
The archaeological excavations of Cuma have returned the remains of the ancient city of Cuma, one of the oldest Greek colonies in Italy, dating back to 730 BC and abandoned in 1207 when it was destroyed by the Neapolitan armies. The site of Cuma, explored in several stages starting from 1606, but systematically only since 1852, is managed by the Superintendence for Archaeological Heritage of Naples.
Castel Sant'Elmo is a medieval castle, used as a museum, located on the Vomero hill near San Martino in Naples. It was once called Paturcium and stands in the place where there was, starting from the 10th century, a church dedicated to Sant'Erasmo. This imposing building, partly derived from the rock, originates from a tower observation Normancalled Belforte .
The Fontanelle cemetery is an ancient cemetery in the city of Naples, located in via Fontanelle. Named in this way due to the presence of water sources in ancient times, the cemetery houses about 40,000 remains of people, victims of the great plague of 1656 and cholera of 1836. The cemetery is also known because a particular rite took place there, called the rite of the "pezzentelle souls", which involved the adoption and arrangement in exchange for protection of a skull, to which it correspond
The Castel dell Ovo is the oldest castle in the city of Naples and is one of the elements that stand out most in the famous panorama of the gulf. It is located between the districts of San Ferdinando and Chiaia, in front of via Partenope. Due to various events that partially destroyed the original Norman appearance and thanks to the subsequent reconstruction works that took place during the Angevin and Aragonese period.
The royal papal basilica of San Francesco di Paola is a minor basilica in Naples, located in Piazza del Plebiscito, in the historic center; it is considered one of the most important examples of neoclassical architecture in Italy. The church is reminiscent of the Pantheon in Rome. The façade is fronted by a portico resting on six columns and two Ionic pillars. Inside, the church is circular with two side chapels. The dome is 53 meters high.
Piazza del Plebiscito is a square in Naples located at the end of via Toledo, as soon as you pass Piazza Trieste e, Trento. Located in the historic center, between the seafront and via Toledo, with an area of about 25,000 square meters, the square is one of the largest in the city and in Italy and for this reason, it is the most used for large events.
The Real Teatro di San Carlo is an opera house in Naples, one of the most famous and prestigious in the world. Founded in 1737, it is the oldest opera house in Europe and in the world to be still active, the first Italian theater to establish a school for dance; anticipates the Teatro Alla Scala in Milan by 41 years and the Teatro La Fenice in Venice by 55 years. Originally, it could accommodate 3285 spectators, then reduced to 1386 following the safety regulations.
The Umberto I Gallery is a shopping arcade built in Naples between 1887 and 1890 . It is dedicated to Umberto I of Italy , as a tribute to the King and in memory of his generous presence during the cholera epidemic of 1884, which showed the need for a "Rehabilitation" of the city. It was meant to combine businesses, shops, cafes and social life — public space — with private space in the apartments on the third floor.
Via Toledo is an ancient street and one of the most important shopping thoroughfares in the city of Naples, Italy. The street was around 2 kilometers long and It was created by Spanish viceroy Pedro de Toledo, 2nd Marquis of Villafranca in 1536. The street is one of the most important tourist destinations of the city, with a large number of religious and monumental buildings, connecting two important city squares.
The Royal Palace of Naples is a historic building located in Piazza del Plebiscito, in the historic center of Naples, where the main entrance is located: the whole complex, including the gardens and the San Carlo theater, also overlooks Piazza Trieste and Trento, Piazza del Municipio and via Acton. It was the historical residence of the Spanish viceroys for over one hundred and fifty years, of the Bourbon dynasty from 1734 to 1861.
Castel Nuovo, also called Maschio Angioino or Mastio Angioino, is a historic medieval and Renaissance castle, as well as one of the symbols of the city of Naples. The castle dominates the scenic Piazza Municipio and is the seat of the Neapolitan Society of Homeland History and of the Naples Committee of the Institute for the history of the Italian Risorgimento, housed in the premises of the SNSP. The civic museum is also located in the complex.
A huge pubic square which was located in Naples, Italy, named after the poet Dante Alighieri. The square assumed its current structure in the second half of the eighteenth century, with the intervention of the architect Luigi Vanvitelli; the "Foro Carolino" commissioned by him was to constitute a monument celebrating the sovereign Carlo III di Borbone.
The church of Gesù Nuovo, or of the Trinity Major, is a basilica church in Naples, located in piazza del Gesù Nuovo in front of the obelisk of the Immaculate Conception and the basilica of Santa Chiara. It is one of the most important and largest churches in the city, among the highest concentrations of Baroque painting and sculpture, on which some of the most influential artists of the Neapolitan school worked. Inside is the body of St. Giuseppe Moscati, canonized by Pope John Paul II in 1987