Attractions to explore nearby Procida
Procida is an Italian town of 10 303 inhabitants in the metropolitan city of Naples in Campania. The municipal territory entirely includes the islands of Procida and Vivara. The island of Procida has an area of 3.7 km². The extremely jagged perimeter measures about 16 km. The municipal area entirely covers the island of Procida and the nearby islet of Vivara, two islands in the Gulf of Naples belonging to the group of the Flegrean islands.
The island of Vivara is a small island in the Gulf of Naples, privately owned, belonging to the group of the Flegrean islands and located between Procida, to which it is joined by a bridge, and Ischia. The island constitutes the western edge of a volcanic crater that originated about 55,000 years ago, now submerged, bordered on the eastern side by the promontory of Santa Margherita on the island of Procida. It was one of the main attractions in this area.
The castle of Venosa is a historic fortified building of the homonymous municipality in the province of Potenza . Commonly called Aragonese as it was built by Duke Pirro del Balzo during the period of the Aragonese dynasty , it is located at the southern end of the plateau occupied by the urban extension of the city.
The Aragonese Castle is a fortification that stands on a tidal island of trachytic rock on the eastern side of the island of Ischia, connected by a 220 m long brick bridge to the ancient Borgo di Celsa , known as Ischia Ponte. The islet on which the castle was built derives from a syntactic eruption that occurred over 300,000 years ago. It reaches a height of 113 meters above sea level and covers an area of approx56 000 m².
The lake Averno is a lake volcano which is located in the town of Pozzuoli, precisely between the fraction of Lucrino and the archaeological site of Cuma, the city of Naples metropolitan area. The lake is home to a settled community of coots along with great grebes, mallards, and other ducks. Near the lake, there is the Temple of Apollo. The lake is roughly circular, measuring 2 km in circumference and 60 m.
The archaeological excavations of Cuma have returned the remains of the ancient city of Cuma, one of the oldest Greek colonies in Italy, dating back to 730 BC and abandoned in 1207 when it was destroyed by the Neapolitan armies. The site of Cuma, explored in several stages starting from 1606, but systematically only since 1852, is managed by the Superintendence for Archaeological Heritage of Naples.